Canon EOS300D and Epson R300 help needed.

Edit My Images
No
I must have a thing about 300, got myself the above. I cant get the camera to talk to the printer direct.
Is there something I need to do to make the printer see the camera.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Does anything happen at all when you connect the 2 together ?

As far as i am aware you shouldnt need to do anything special, once the camera is plugged in the controls should appear on the camera screen, for paper size etc etc ??

When I put the together nothing happens. I don't get any indication on either the camera or the printer.

Not being silly, you have connected the camera to the right usb port on the printer right? You have 2, one at the back to connect to the comp. and one at the front to connect to the camera (under memory card slots), it may say EXT I/F.

Yes it's connected to the usb port on the front, they port on the back is a different plug.

lolyton said:
Not being silly, you have connected the camera to the right usb port on the printer right? You have 2, one at the back to connect to the comp. and one at the front to connect to the camera (under memory card slots), it may say EXT I/F.

That was my next question ! :)

Have you tried to see if you get a response frfom the printeer when you insert a memory card into it?

The 2 communicate via pictbridge, as i am unfamiliar with your camera i'm not sure if it has it or not, i would assume however it does as it should be fairly standard. Always worth checking to see if there are any firmware updates for the camera anyway.

The printer prints ok from the CF card and via my pc. The camera is using the latest firmware and hasnt had any hacks installed.

My concern is either that the camera or the printer isnt working properly and as they are both new, would like get the faulty one (if either of them is) replaced.

A good way to work it out would be to go to a local shop that sells both, or maybe even where you bought them from. If it is a fairly small shop like jessops or a local independant they will normally be happy to help. Obviously take yours in at least your camera if printer is a bit awkward, and see if they'll let you try out on a demo one.

Or maybe phone epson technical support i have spent hours on the phone with them over the years and they can be pretty helpful.....sometimes.

lolyton said:
A good way to work it out would be to go to a local shop that sells both, or maybe even where you bought them from. If it is a fairly small shop like jessops or a local independant they will normally be happy to help. Obviously take yours in at least your camera if printer is a bit awkward, and see if they'll let you try out on a demo one.

Or maybe phone epson technical support i have spent hours on the phone with them over the years and they can be pretty helpful.....sometimes.

I like the sometimes caveat ! ;)

Thats a very good idea though, re taking the camera to the store you boght the printer from, that way you could try connecting the camera to another R300 and a.n other pictbridge printer.

Thanks for your help guys, will give Epson a ring and see what they say. If not its back to PC World and get them to try the camera on another R300.

Could very well be mistaken here, so forgive me if I am but, is the front usb port on the printer only for output to a cdr/rw. I have the r300 and always presumed this to be the case. Does your card not fit the existing card slots in the printer? If so I don’t understand why you’d want to use your camera connected to your printer. Drain on batteries and all that?
Also have you installed drivers for camera? Regardless of how you connect camera to pc, it needs the drivers to recognise the camera as an actual drive rather than a camera.
Hope this helps.
Ken.

Can't really help with your problem I'm afraid, other than agreeing with Ken that if your printer has a card reader why connect the camera?

I have a couple of mates in the camera repair trade who tell me that constantly plugging and unplugging USB connectors into the camera socket can lead to the soldering breaking down in the camera socket and eventually, cracking of the internal circuit board to which it's connected. This can be an expensive repair and apparantly all digital cameras are susceptible regardless of cost. Apart from this , having your camera connected to the PC via a USB or serial cable and possibly also a power connector too, the possibilities of accidentally dragging your camera off your work top by catching one of the cables are very real.

If you haven't got one I can't recommend a card reader enough - they're as cheap as chips. I use one of these...

Zio-L.jpg

I just plug mine into the USB port on the front of my PC and I could easily do the same with my printer. It's much more convenient, far safer, and you no longer need battery or mains power to upload you pics to the PC. It also has the advantage that if you're out shooting and fill up your CF card then if you have access to a laptop, you can upload your pics to the laptop and carry on shooting.

No drivers are required btw Windows just finds the card reader as a removeable drive.

It wouldn't let me do it with the 10D.

I haven't looked at the manual yet though.

The easiest way is to put the card in the card slot.

I've spoken with Epson and have been told to take printer to service centre local to me and get them to check if the printer has a fault.
I know i can use the inbuilt card reader but if there's a fault on the printer or the camera I'd like to get either replaced on principal.

Paul B said:
I've spoken with Epson and have been told to take printer to service centre local to me and get them to check if the printer has a fault.
I know i can use the inbuilt card reader but if there's a fault on the printer or the camera I'd like to get either replaced on principal.

Thats fair enough, let us know how you get on ?

Has anyone thought about the possability of a dodgy usb cable ???

if everything else works ?

there are different grades etc

MyPix

Paul B said:
I did think of cable, but it works fine connecting camera to pc.

cool, but i seem to remember finding out somewhere that the mini usb cable can have a different amount of cores ( or internal wires ) for different functions ??
or maybe i just dreamt it , lol

MyPix :roll:

Back