Canon EX580 vs EX580 II

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've been looking for a flash for a while, and stumbled across a EX580 mk 1 in my local paper. I phoned the guy and he's not willing to budge on £130, so I was wondering whether you think its worth it or not. Is there any major difference between the mk1 and mk2? Will it work on a 450D?

Thanks.

run run run, snap his hand off £130 is a bargain, it won't be there long, it'll work on a 450D

not much. better weather sealing when attached to pro bodies, slightly smaller, slightly faster recycling and something relating to wireless triggers.

£ 130 is a great price.

I'm scouting around some reviews quickly online, it seems there are some reliability issues to be noted. For those of you who have been in the photography game longer than me, have you heard good or bad things about the 580EX?

I'm scouting around some reviews quickly online, it seems there are some reliability issues to be noted. For those of you who have been in the photography game longer than me, have you heard good or bad things about the 580EX?

I have had my 580EX for about 18 months now and tbh wouldn't consider moving over to the Mk II, the one I have has been totally reliable and has never let me down yet.

And to top it all £130 is a bloody good price, check out ebay if you don't believe me (y)

OK, it seems I'm an idiot, its been an hour since I called and it was sold about 5 minutes after I first called. Nevermind.

Incidentally, there seems to be a 550EX in the classifieds section for £120, is this a good deal? Or should I just pay the extra £50 I was going to and get the 430EX II for £169?

Only real difference is the mk2 has a PC socket for pocket wizards and a few other bits. At that price you have nothing to loose, and if you want the mk2 then I'm sure you would get your money back on ebay.

Should have bought that 580 but then you know than now!

I have one that's been modified to take the radio trigger and it's fab! If you can find abother at that price go and grab it!!!

I'm thinking of getting into using artificial light sources in my photography and want to use a flash unit that can be triggered remotely. From what I gather the 580 mk II has a new PC connection to allow remote triggering? Is that correct? Also, does the 580 mk II have the ability to be set to manual and dialed down or up?

I think I answered my own questions...

Rubber covers seal the external ports - for external power and the new, greatly needed receive-only PC terminal - Pocket Wizard RF remote users know what this port does for them. The PC terminal is located just above the foot on the flash's left side.

One more flash mode: Manual mode. If your subject distance is consistent (formal portraits for example), a manual flash output setting can eliminate shot-to-shot exposure variations. Using the control dial, it is easy and fast to set manual flash power output. Manual flash output can be controlled in 1/3 stop increments - 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32nd, 1/64th & 1/128th. Become familiar with this mode.

If you can pick up a 580ex MkI it can easily be modified to take a radio trigger. :)

Can save you more than a few pennies!

Interesting. Do you have a link to somewhere that would tell me how to do that?

LOL. I even commented the first reply to that thread. I need my memory checked. Added to favs.

I bought a MK1 for £140 about a year ago, and I thought that was a good price! It's a fantastic flash for that kind of money...and has never let me down :)

Back