1. Fordsabroad

Fordsabroad

Name:
    Gordon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have the above extender but the results when using it are bad, very much OOF. I have tried it on 2 bodies, an EOS R and a 1DX mk2 and with two very sharp lenses the 100 - 400 mk 11 and the prime 600 f4.
    Any advice would be appreciated (apart fro "don't use it"}!

2. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Just some random thoughts.

I would have thought that the EOS R being mirrorless would 'work' unless even with its AF system there is a minimum aperture it will AF with?

As for the 1DX2 .......with the 600mm f4 dropping to f8 I understand that should work but the 100-400 when at 400 is f5.6 to the X2 TC on it my exceed even that body's AF capability??? So, does the 600 need MFA when attaching with the X2 TC???

I await those with greater insight.........but perhaps it both an issue with compatibility and/or on the dSLR needing some MFA

3. Fordsabroad

Fordsabroad

Name:
    Gordon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The new EOS should auto focus at f11 and the EOS 1DX 2 focusses at f8 so the 600mm should be fine. What I haven't done is manually focus the lenses so that will be worth trying.

4. OwenM

OwenM

Name:
    Owen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have the EOS 50M and with a 300mm f4 + 2x teleconverter the AF system does work. I would have thought the EOS R being a higher spec camera it should also work.

5. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    I note that both the EOS M and the EOS R require adaptors to mount the EF (and EF-S) lenses.

As Gordon @Fordsabroad is reporting issues with two different setups and setting aside whether he can compensate the focus of the 600mm & x2 TC on the 1DX2 by doing the MFA. I wonder if the issue is the TC not communicating when used with the Type R mount adaptor???

6. Cheffievrs

Cheffievrs

Name:
    Jason
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have you spent any time doing any focus micro adjustments.? I had the mk1 600mm + 2x iii and after i did the adjustments i had pleasing results. I will say upgrading to the mkii 600mm I find the results much better.

7. newbie1

newbie1

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Have you tried shooting with live view? What are the results with that like? If they are good then I’d also suggest micro adjustment - I’m using FoCal for that. If not then send to Canon for repair?

8. johnf3f

johnf3f

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A friend of mine uses the Canon 600 F4 L IS (Mk1) with the 2 x Mk3 extender and a 1DX (Mk1) = no issues/MFA etc, it works well. Naturally it needs good light to work but other than that it is OK.

9. Fordsabroad

Fordsabroad

Name:
    Gordon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. This morning I tried it on another L lens using a focus chart with the camera mounted on a tripod using both manual and auto focus. The results were still unacceptable so it is now on its way to a Canon service centre for them to check out.

10. George

George Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Please post the results you get after the visit to the service centre. I use the 2x with a 400DO mk 2 with acceptable results.

George.

11. Fordsabroad

Fordsabroad

Name:
    Gordon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    George
    I certainly will, it is with them now but may have a 2 week turnaround. To be honest I am expecting it to be spot on when it is returned. I have seen results of a 600mm with a x2 converter and they were excellent so I shall be disappointed if I do not get the same.