Canon extender EF 2x iii

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have the above extender but the results when using it are bad, very much OOF. I have tried it on 2 bodies, an EOS R and a 1DX mk2 and with two very sharp lenses the 100 - 400 mk 11 and the prime 600 f4.
Any advice would be appreciated (apart fro "don't use it"}!

I have the above extender but the results when using it are bad, very much OOF. I have tried it on 2 bodies, an EOS R and a 1DX mk2 and with two very sharp lenses the 100 - 400 mk 11 and the prime 600 f4.
Any advice would be appreciated (apart fro "don't use it"}!

Just some random thoughts.

I would have thought that the EOS R being mirrorless would 'work' unless even with its AF system there is a minimum aperture it will AF with?

As for the 1DX2 .......with the 600mm f4 dropping to f8 I understand that should work but the 100-400 when at 400 is f5.6 to the X2 TC on it my exceed even that body's AF capability??? So, does the 600 need MFA when attaching with the X2 TC???

I await those with greater insight.........but perhaps it both an issue with compatibility and/or on the dSLR needing some MFA

Just some random thoughts.

I would have thought that the EOS R being mirrorless would 'work' unless even with its AF system there is a minimum aperture it will AF with?

As for the 1DX2 .......with the 600mm f4 dropping to f8 I understand that should work but the 100-400 when at 400 is f5.6 to the X2 TC on it my exceed even that body's AF capability??? So, does the 600 need MFA when attaching with the X2 TC???

I await those with greater insight.........but perhaps it both an issue with compatibility and/or on the dSLR needing some MFA

The new EOS should auto focus at f11 and the EOS 1DX 2 focusses at f8 so the 600mm should be fine. What I haven't done is manually focus the lenses so that will be worth trying.

I have the EOS 50M and with a 300mm f4 + 2x teleconverter the AF system does work. I would have thought the EOS R being a higher spec camera it should also work.

I note that both the EOS M and the EOS R require adaptors to mount the EF (and EF-S) lenses.

As Gordon @Fordsabroad is reporting issues with two different setups and setting aside whether he can compensate the focus of the 600mm & x2 TC on the 1DX2 by doing the MFA. I wonder if the issue is the TC not communicating when used with the Type R mount adaptor???

Have you spent any time doing any focus micro adjustments.? I had the mk1 600mm + 2x iii and after i did the adjustments i had pleasing results. I will say upgrading to the mkii 600mm I find the results much better.

Have you tried shooting with live view? What are the results with that like? If they are good then I’d also suggest micro adjustment - I’m using FoCal for that. If not then send to Canon for repair?

A friend of mine uses the Canon 600 F4 L IS (Mk1) with the 2 x Mk3 extender and a 1DX (Mk1) = no issues/MFA etc, it works well. Naturally it needs good light to work but other than that it is OK.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. This morning I tried it on another L lens using a focus chart with the camera mounted on a tripod using both manual and auto focus. The results were still unacceptable so it is now on its way to a Canon service centre for them to check out.

Please post the results you get after the visit to the service centre. I use the 2x with a 400DO mk 2 with acceptable results.

George.

George
I certainly will, it is with them now but may have a 2 week turnaround. To be honest I am expecting it to be spot on when it is returned. I have seen results of a 600mm with a x2 converter and they were excellent so I shall be disappointed if I do not get the same.

Further to my extender problems. Canon contacted me yesterday to say that they could not find a problem with the extender and offered a few options including sending the camera and lenses up to them. I declined that offer as I do not think mailing a 600mm at this time of year is the best option. They have returned the it to me with a note to say that If I have further problems to send them images and possibly take the extender and lens to them. I will run some more tests to see what it is like. Really the purpose of this post apart from updating as I promised is to say that the service from the Canon service centre has been excellent, they have cleaned and tested the extender and not made any charge. They even paid the postage both ways. For an item that was out of warranty I think this is really excellent. Sometimes we are quick to complain but I think good service should also be noted.
I will test the extender after Christmas and post results here really to close the loop on this thread.

Gordon, I won't be needing my 2x mk3 extender till mid Feb, if you want to try it I'm happy to let you try it in the new Year.

George.

Just sent you a pm.

Last edited:
George
That is very kind of you, thank you so much. Curiosity got the better of me though and I have just done a very quick hand held test of the 2x on the EOS R with the 100 - 400 and the results look much better than before I sent it to canon, maybe the clean they did improved it or maybe I did something wrong in my earlier tests. I will test it on the 600mm later.

I have just been playing with the canon 2x extender on the EOS R with the 600mm f4 lens. I don't know what Canon did, they said they couldn't find a fault and just cleaned and returned it FOC. Whether I was being a numpty with my previous tests or cleaning the contacts sorted the problem I don't know but I am satisfied with the results now.
I promised I would publish the outcome of this repair so here it is. A boring subject I know but it does the job on a real subject rather than a lens chart. I have published the original untouched file plus the heavily cropped end result. They can be viewed on Flickr at a larger resolution for a few days then they will be removed as they do not really represent the work I do
.600mm +X2 lens test by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
600mm +X2 lens test by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

600mm +X2 lens test by 600mm +X2 lens test by Gordon Ford, on Flickros/141512698@N08/]Gordon Ford[/url], on Flickr

Further to my extender problems. Canon contacted me yesterday to say that they could not find a problem with the extender and offered a few options including sending the camera and lenses up to them. I declined that offer as I do not think mailing a 600mm at this time of year is the best option. They have returned the it to me with a note to say that If I have further problems to send them images and possibly take the extender and lens to them. I will run some more tests to see what it is like. Really the purpose of this post apart from updating as I promised is to say that the service from the Canon service centre has been excellent, they have cleaned and tested the extender and not made any charge. They even paid the postage both ways. For an item that was out of warranty I think this is really excellent. Sometimes we are quick to complain but I think good service should also be noted.
I will test the extender after Christmas and post results here really to close the loop on this thread.

To be honest I would consider taking or carefully sending the whole kit to Canon
I have a 2x mk 3 and I was struggling sometimes to get consistent focus with my 300 2.8 mk2 and 7d2
So I made the trip down south dropped the whole kit off also including my 1.4 at Canon elstree spent a couple of weekswith family and picked it all up on the way home
Best thing I ever did Canon did a spot on job calibrating it all and I'm really pleased getting excellent consistent results

Last edited:
A quick update on the Canon 2x Mkiii extender. Canon could not find a fault but did clean and return it FOC. I thought I would give it a try in a real situation whilst in Poland. These are shots taken from a hide whilst waiting for white tailed sea eagles to show. They are all fairly heavily cropped. I am happy that the 1DX + 600mm + 2x converter work well together.
Red fox by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Raven by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Just a thought, have you tried AI Gigapixel by Topaz?
The program extended the "reach" of my 70-300mm L to 600mm with no problems, and no loss of aperture.
Would be interested to see what you think of the results.

Peter.I have never heard of it. I am off to do some research now, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Glad it's all working now, Gordon and it was good to have a play with the cameras when we met in January.

I don't know that programme Peter, I'll also have a look.

I tend to use on1 for resizing, it's a modern version of the old Genuine Fractals.

George.

Back