woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
IS COMMING!!!!! Sooner or later...

The latest rumors are interesting...
24-105mm kit lens - Nice but also Meh as it'll be practical but maybe not too exciting :D
35mm f1.8 - ok that's nice, and maybe very nice :D
50mm f1.2 - that's surprising! :D
28-70mm f2 - What? That is surprising! :D
I don't know of too many other f2 zooms, Sigma did a couple and I think maybe there was an Olympus but I could be wrong. Anyway, of the lens rumors this is the one that surprised me the most.
24-105mm f4 - Meh :D

Rumor site...

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ho...mirrorless-50mm-f-1-2-28-70mm-f-2-0-terrific/

And it gets a mention on the Sony rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/com...tember-5-has-50mm-f-1-2-28-70mm-f-2-0-lenses/

Looking at the Nikon Zed I think that it's quite an attractive camera to look at. I have a Sony A7 and at first I thought it looked almost home made but the looks have grown on me. Not that all this matters too much but I haven't been too impressed by the various Canon bodies on the rumor site but the actual camera may be prettier when we see it.

I'm quite happy with my A7 and lenses and I can't see myself buying either a Nikon or a Canon mirrorless camera so I'm just following developments out of interest and I'll be interested to see what Nikon and Canon do :D

Is anyone champing at the bit to get a Canon mirrorless?

Maybe a lot hangs on the mount and how legacy lenses will work?

We may not have to wait too long to find out :D I do think that the rumored lenses are very interesting though :D

PS.
I have Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras. In years gone I had a Nikon SLR for a decades and when going digital I had Canon 300D, 10D, 20D and 5D, the digital camera I've so far owned the longest was the 20D which I had for something over 7 years.

Last edited:
I already have a Canon mirrorless, the dealbreaker for me will be if they don't bring out an adapter so I can use my EF-M lenses on the full frame body :D

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing what they come up with as I have some decent lenses for Canon and am looking to update my 7D MKI. AF speed on adapted lenses will have to be at least on a par with current DSLR bodies though.

Not that I'm in the market for a Canon mirrorless or any mirrorless for that matter, I think the inclusion of the 24-105mm is a good one. It's a fairly popular lens and is a good start for some body who is going to be buying a Canon mirrorless as a first camera (although a don't think the camera itself is aimed at first time camera buyers, there will still be some that'll buy it, just because they have the money and it's a Canon, the same applies to Nikon).
Those who are already Canon owners will probably be less enthusiastic about a 24-105, so would be buying body only.
I have the 24-105mm myself and really like it, it does exactly what it's meant for.

I already have a Canon mirrorless, the dealbreaker for me will be if they don't bring out an adapter so I can use my EF-M lenses on the full frame body :D

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing what they come up with as I have some decent lenses for Canon and am looking to update my 7D MKI. AF speed on adapted lenses will have to be at least on a par with current DSLR bodies though.

Will EF-M lenses cover the FF image circle? If not maybe there'll be a crop mode.

Not at the moment. I was debating whether or not to switch to Sony or Fuji, but the cost of replacing all my lenses would prohibitive.
I've just bought a 5DMkIV which will do for now so maybe next time. Hopefully they would have ironed out any early issues by then as well. It will also depend on whether or not I can use my existing lenses.

Last edited:

There is a "M Adapter R" mentioned in the article.

Not at the moment. I was debating whether or not to switch to Sony or Fuji, but the cost of replacing all my lenses would prohibitive.
I've just bought a 5DMkIV which will do for now so maybe next time. Hopefully they would have ironed out any early issues by then as well. It will also depend on whether or not I can use my existing lenses.

When I started selling off my Canon gear I was surprised that I got such good prices, I sold a couple of lenses for more than I paid but I think those days are gone.

These days the fact that I prefer 35 / 50mm sort of lenses keeps the cost down for me.

IS COMMING!!!!! Sooner or later...

The latest rumors are interesting...
24-105mm kit lens - Nice but also Meh as it'll be practical but maybe not too exciting :D
35mm f1.8 - ok that's nice, and maybe very nice :D
50mm f1.2 - that's surprising! :D
24-70mm f2 - What? That is surprising! :D
I don't know of too many other f2 zooms, Sigma did a couple and I think maybe there was an Olympus but I could be wrong. Anyway, of the lens rumors this is the one that surprised me the most.
24-105mm f4 - Meh :D

<snip>

Is anyone champing at the bit to get a Canon mirrorless?

<snip>

24-105 is a great lens, good optics and tremendously versatile - both versions.

The rumour is a 28-70mm f2 which sounds more likely and will go down well. I don't think there are currently any f2 zooms for full-frame.

I'll definitely be keen on a new Canon mirrorless if it's better than a 5D4. If it isn't, then no thanks.

Edit: Oops - Sigma 24-35mm f2. Though with that range it's hardly a zoom ;)

Last edited:

The rumour is a 28-70mm f2 which sounds more likely and will go down well. I don't think there are currently any f2 zooms for full-frame.

I'll definitely be keen on a new Canon mirrorless if it's better than a 5D4. If it isn't, then no thanks.
Typo corrected :D

I think there's a Sigma 24-35mm f2.

I think there's a Sigma 24-35mm f2.

Yes, I quickly corrected that comment :)

Edit: format coverage is one of the three major optical hurdles. You can have wide focal length zoom range, or fast apertures, or full-frame coverage - but you can't have all three.

Last edited:
Edit: Oops - Sigma 24-35mm f2. Though with that range it's hardly a zoom ;)

When they brought out the earlier APS-C 18-35mm f1.8 people were talking about it as being a lens that could replace two or three primes and I'd view the 24-35mm f2 in the same way... not really as a zoom but as a lens that could replace a couple / a few primes and remove the need to change lenses.

I assume the reason they kept the zoom range to x2 on the earlier lens and even less on the latter rather than the maybe more usual x3 or there abouts was to keep the quality up and if that is a factor it'll be interesting to see how a slightly longer zoom range Canon will perform.

Last edited:
24-105mm is a great travel lens option. Disappointing that it's a 28-70mm and not 24-70mm. I'd rather lose a stop of light and have the extra 4mm at the wide end, but I'm sure there'll be others that love that it's f2.

I heard they were adopting the same mount as the Nikon Z.

When they brought out the earlier APS-C 18-35mm f1.8 people were talking about it as being a lens that could replace two or three primes and I'd view the 24-35mm f2 in the same way... not really as a zoom but as a lens that could replace a couple / a few primes and remove the need to change lenses.

I assume the reason they kept the zoom range to x2 on the earlier lens and even less on the latter rather than the maybe more usual x3 or there abouts was to keep the quality up and if that is a factor it'll be interesting to see how a slightly longer zoom range Canon will perform.

The zoom range problem in combination with fast apertures and full-frame coverage is most acute with short focal lengths. Canon's choice of 28-70/2 is much more forgiving than 24-35/2 though both lenses are pushing the limit of what's possible in practical terms (size/weight/cost). Canon would have done 24-70/2 if they could. Assuming the rumours are true, I'd not be surprised if 28-70 turns out to be nearer 30-65 ;)

I am strangely much more interested in this one that doesn't even exist to us yet, than Nikon's meh attempt.

Please Canon, look out for the poor guys

I am strangely much more interested in this one that doesn't even exist to us yet, than Nikon's meh attempt.

Please Canon, look out for the poor guys
That's because like Christmas you've basically already opened the Nikon parcel more or less :D

Carry a 16-35 as well - the canon f4 is pretty good.
When I'm out sightseeing etc I only take one lens. 24-70mm ish is an ideal lens for me for such things, but in this case I'd choose the 24-105mm f4 over the 28-70mm f2.8 and sacrifice a stop of light.

When I'm out sightseeing etc I only take one lens. 24-70mm ish is an ideal lens for me for such things, but in this case I'd choose the 24-105mm f4 over the 28-70mm f2.8 and sacrifice a stop of light.

If it's anything like the 24-105 F4 L lens it'll be a belter.

I could rely on that lens for almost anything in any light. Loved it.

Smaller and lighter too, the 24/70 2.8 is a massive lump by comparison.

Things are going to get very interesting, latest rumours are that Panasonic are about to step into the FF ML arena too. A G9 with a new FF sensor sounds mighty tasty, as that camera has just about everything else even a pro could want.

Things are going to get very interesting, latest rumours are that Panasonic are about to step into the FF ML arena too. A G9 with a new FF sensor sounds mighty tasty, as that camera has just about everything else even a pro could want.

That would be a real surprise, basically contradicting the 'small is beautiful' message they've been peddling for the last 10 years.

Given Panny's strong position in video, could it be something video-centric and the rumour has got confused by the Super-35 video format tag (which is actually more like half-frame)? What about lenses? They could make it compatible with a lot of existing full-frame lenses via adapters... Clutching at staws :D

Last edited:
That would be a real surprise, basically contradicting the 'small is beautiful' message they've been peddling for the last 10 years.

Given Panny's strong position in video, could it be something video-centric and the rumour has got confused by the Super-35 video format tag (which is actually more like half-frame)? What about lenses? They could make it compatible with a lot of existing full-frame lenses via adapters... Clutching at staws :D

Seems like it'll be a completely separate line, they've done the M43 thing for a long time now, they want some of that FF pie. They still do better video than most, despite complaints about bad AF, tonnes of vloggers still use Panasonic cameras for their video work - FF doesn't matter near as much for that end, so they are going after the photographers too.

It's interesting that Panasonic are hanging back until after Canon's announcement, at least Canon are expected to do so on the 5th, with Panasonic on the 25th. If Canon announced 4K60 combined with their ever popular dual system AF, heads will turn. It's been the biggest complaint by those vloggers about Canon for a long time now no 4K dual AF. The rumours suggest only 4K30 though, now Panasonic are right up behind them and they've been doing 4K quite a while now, and well, they've been doing video for decades

Back