Canon FF mirrorless...

Nope, will be keeping my 5Dsr and adding a 5DIV or 1Dx2 to it soon I think.

Regards...

I’ll be keeping hold of my 5D4 and 1DX2 and all the lenses. Hopefully the new R is just the start. Is there any word on the roadmap for future bodies?

I’ll be keeping hold of my 5D4 and 1DX2 and all the lenses. Hopefully the new R is just the start. Is there any word on the roadmap for future bodies?

No idea on new bodies but I don't think the DLSR is going away anytime soon. Pro level DSLR tend to be replaced every 4 years. 5DIV is only 2 years old. Not sure about the 1DX2. Canon has said that mirrorless is in addition to DSLR rather than a replacement for DSLR in the EOS system.

Regards

So what happens with the 5DS R current body then? Will current 5DS R owners want to trade-in and move to the new mirrorless body/system me wonders?
Depends on a users needs.

If they want a better AF and video system then the R mirrorless makes sense.

I do like the Canon R lenses but the prices are crazy!
The only one that interests me is the 24-105mm, but then I think I’d rather put the 24-70mm f4 on the Z7 and crop to save some weight.

Just seen this video on Adorama TV. it is presented by Hugh Brownstone of Three Blind Men and an Elephant. I've seen a few of his videos on his own YT channel over the last week or two, and let's say he has a very idiosyncratic style. ;) It was interesting to see him go through the gear with the Canon people off screen and not mention another brand, but at the same time trying to compare. ;) What I did find interesting was the size of the lenses which he had on the table, which I assume are some or all of the new lenses. They looked HUGE! :eek: :LOL:

Edit. Jonney beat me to it by a few minutes. :rolleyes: :LOL:

View: https://youtu.be/b5eyvSXXQ2s

Last edited:
I said in the Nikon thread that Nikon went all out to match the A7ii and did so. Looks like Canon aimed their sights a bit lower and just went for the original A7 and matched it admirably!

I would say Sony are laughing but I know canons ‘attempt’ shall we call it that? Will outsell the A7iii !

I said in the Nikon thread that Nikon went all out to match the A7ii and did so. Looks like Canon aimed their sights a bit lower and just went for the original A7 and matched it admirably!

I would say Sony are laughing but I know canons ‘attempt’ shall we call it that? Will outsell the A7iii !
Did the original A7 only shoot at 3fps?

Depends on a users needs.

If they want a better AF and video system then the R mirrorless makes sense.

I'd say if you want a video system the current/only R model is far from ideal.

well it looks like a mirrorless 6d mk11 to me. I must say it tick a lot of boxes for me. There's not much else I want or need on a camera. Sony's handling doent work for me, and this looks like the ergonomics will be great, with a great evf- I might well try one at some point. Just not yet

I don't like this guy, but he seems to be the only one saying it like it is:

well it looks like a mirrorless 6d mk11 to me. I must say it tick a lot of boxes for me. There's not much else I want or need on a camera. Sony's handling doent work for me, and this looks like the ergonomics will be great, with a great evf- I might well try one at some point. Just not yet

I think most of us would quite easily agree with the camera - at a much lower price point!!! That is the whole point it should be no more than 6D. I consider it a high-end enthusiast testbed platform which is sort of where 6-series lie apart from a better sensor. I would expect the price would have to fall to that level by Christmas sales. They may as well charge a couple of kidneys from the early adopters. Hopefully they won't take more than 1-1.5 years to release a higher end one or a replacement. Sorry to all early adopters as the values will really crash then (just like sony A7 mk1).
Lenses - I don't see them moving down too much sadly... They are the long term ones.

It is probably one of the better canon non-cine line cameras for video. The Cx00 series are all APS-C so this is the same basically. DP-AF, 10bit log, drop in ND filters, aperture control ring, even APS-C lens compatibility for wider angles - that all sounds great to me. I don't do video so I don't really care for now.
For stills - 5D IV and 5DsR and on the other side - 1DXII / 1DX will run circles around it in certain circumstances but not the other way round.

I have to commend canon for some innovations like drop in ND adapters, lens custom settings ring (both very useful for video) and the fact sensor stays shut during any lens changes. I can't believe the competition doesn't have the latter function which is obvious and easy to implement. I really don't fancy gazillion of dust spots. After 1 year of daily use since last clean 5DIII only has about 6 or 8 bigger spots at f/13. That's pretty good. I would reject anything that requires expensive bi-weekly cleans and so on.

I hope the next one has a bigger body and tougher body, rear dial, full HD EVF, dual cards, and other general refinements, maybe an improved 50MP+ sensor for myself (which I'd prefer to higher ISO performance).
It sound fairly trivial and self-explanatory so I don't see any reason why that won't get done.

I have to commend canon for some innovations like drop in ND adapters, lens custom settings ring (both very useful for video) and the fact sensor stays shut during any lens changes. I can't believe the competition doesn't have the latter function which is obvious and easy to implement. I
Canon are not innovating with filters in the lens adapter, or having rings on the lens to let you adjust in camera settings, others have done them before, but well done to them for incorporating the features, and seemingly doing.

Not covering the sensor with the shutter when the lens is off seems like an obvious thing to do. Not sure whether any other mirrorless cameras have this option, but they all should have the option if they don't already. ;)

I always turn off the camera when changing lenses. Some one recamended it or I read it some were years ago, and I have to say it seems to work. Dont know if its to do with static or maybe the extra cleaning cycles they go through, but its worked with every camera I've had since for years.

I think Canon did pretty well hiding a m4/3 4K camera inside their full frame camera;)

Totally unacceptable. People saying they're protecting their C line is nonsense, Sony has plenty of pro camcorders and don't cripple their A7III 4K

Canon are not innovating with filters in the lens adapter, or having rings on the lens to let you adjust in camera settings, others have done them before, but well done to them for incorporating the features, and seemingly doing.

Not covering the sensor with the shutter when the lens is off seems like an obvious thing to do. Not sure whether any other mirrorless cameras have this option, but they all should have the option if they don't already. ;)

No they’re not innovating with it, just extending what they’ve been doing for a long time on some lenses.

Spec seems ok to me, nothing more than a mid range camera. I don’t care about video and, in the brief conversations I’ve had with friends about it, neither do they and they probably make up the realistic intended market. We all agree it’s too expensive and should be £500 cheaper.

I'm a bit shocked that both Canon and Nikon look to be quite a bit behind A7III spec on a number of things.

I may be wrong but looking at the Canikon systems I can't see myself choosing either over the A7III. I can see how people with multiple lenses may not want to swap systems and these cameras will make an entry to mirrorless rather painless for them if rather hobbled over some features and of course there are those who simply must have their brand of choice regardless of what else is available.

Apart from a couple of interesting features I'm shocked at what canikon have managed with cameras costing more than an A7III and without the legacy lens or fanboy factors I can't see many objectively choosing these over the A7III.

Last edited:
I'm a bit shocked that both Canon and Nikon look to be quite a bit behind A7III spec on a number of things.

I may be wrong but looking at the Canikon systems I can't see myself choosing either over the A7III. I can see how people with multiple lenses may not want to swap systems and these cameras will make an entry to mirrorless rather painless for them if rather hobbled over some features and of course there are those who simply must have their brand of choice regardless of what else is available.

Apart from a couple of interesting features I'm shocked at what canikon have managed with cameras costing more than an A7III and without the legacy lens or fanboy factors I can't see many objectively choosing these over the A7III.

Right now, if I had the money to buy a FFML, it would be the A7III. Sony must be laughing their asses off at the others as the information floods out. It is a bit hard to swallow when you ponder on it and ignore the hype - Nikon and Canon don't seem to be trying to compete with Sony, but with themselves. They're scared to push harder for fear of crippling their own dslr models. I don't think they 'get' mirrorless entirely yet.

As someone with a Canon APS-C camera (70d) and a mix of EF and EF-S lenses and an intention to go FF one day, I really like the idea of being able to do so using all of my existing lenses and in a smaller/lighter body than I currently use.

I'm not a pro or someone that wants/needs the latest and greatest and so don't care so much about how it compares to the A7iii but how it compares to what I'm upgrading from and how easy it is to make the upgrade (i.e. staying in the same ecosystem).

When I come to change body I'd be very surprised if it's not to this or its successor, new or S/H depending on price.

As someone with a Canon APS-C camera (70d) and a mix of EF and EF-S lenses and an intention to go FF one day, I really like the idea of being able to do so using all of my existing lenses and in a smaller/lighter body than I currently use.

I'm not a pro or someone that wants/needs the latest and greatest and so don't care so much about how it compares to the A7iii but how it compares to what I'm upgrading from and how easy it is to make the upgrade (i.e. staying in the same ecosystem).

When I come to change body I'd be very surprised if it's not to this or its successor, new or S/H depending on price.
When one looks at Canon in isolation they are fine. Should one compre them to the competition they are not just one generation behind but a number.

I got slated in the m series thread for highlighting a flaw for users such as yourself potentially wanting to go canon mirrorless but on a crop body.

Currently there is no 70d mirrorless type camera and even if there is. You need to buy an adapter to use future rf lenses

Just been thinking, when I first read that the shutter closes when you're changing lenses I thought what a good idea, why has no-one thought about it before. But now I'm starting to wonder if it's one of those things that sounds more impressive than what it is, and maybe just a good marketing tool? What I mean is, if dust’s getting into the camera the closed shutter stops dust getting on immediately but as soon as you fire a couple of shots and said dust is thrown around inside it could easily end up on the sensor anyway. Is having the shutter close when changing lenses really going to make much difference? Does the EOS R have it's own sensor cleaning that you can have activate when you turn the camera on or off or both like you can with Nikons?

Have you been reading dpreview again hehehe someone made a thread about it!
Just been thinking, when I first read that the shutter closes when you're changing lenses I thought what a good idea, why has no-one thought about it before. But now I'm starting to wonder if it's one of those things that sounds more impressive than what it is, and maybe just a good marketing tool? What I mean is, if dust’s getting into the camera the closed shutter stops dust getting on immediately but as soon as you fire a couple of shots and said dust is thrown around inside it could easily end up on the sensor anyway. Is having the shutter close when changing lenses really going to make much difference? Does the EOS R have it's own sensor cleaning that you can have activate when you turn the camera on or off or both like you can with Nikons?

I pondered the same thing.

When one looks at Canon in isolation they are fine. Should one compre them to the competition they are not just one generation behind but a number.

But I myself am already even more generations behind and perfectly happy with my 70d.

Totally unacceptable. People saying they're protecting their C line is nonsense, Sony has plenty of pro camcorders and don't cripple their A7III 4K

I do wonder if its more of a case that canon cant do full frame readout downscaled to 4k with their processing power/heating issues etc in the smaller bodies, if you think of all the 4k overheating issues that the sonys first suffered with and arguably they have bigger resources for processor design etc, the c-line is bigger able to have better cooling systems for the processer etc

I pondered the same thing.

I remember a Sigma with a glass panel forward of the sensor, as far as I remember they claimed that any contamination would be too far forward of the sensor to be an issue in pictures. I don't know how well it worked or how easy it was to remove to clean the sensor but I do remember thinking it seemed a good idea.

I seem to have very few problems with my Sony and Panasonic cameras, touch wood, and I'm struggling to remember the last time I did a wet clean despite multiple lens changes in petty much all conditions.

I got slated in the m series thread for highlighting a flaw for users such as yourself potentially wanting to go canon mirrorless but on a crop body.
Stop being a drama queen, you got slated for wanting to discuss the EOS R in what is a very friendly M thread ;)

Currently there is no 70d mirrorless type camera and even if there is. You need to buy an adapter to use future rf lenses

The M5 has a superior sensor to the 70d, and is a very usable mirrorless APSC camera. Buying a relatively inexpensive and simple adaptor isn’t a big deal. I wouldn’t expect many M owners to buy R lenses, when EF equivalents are readily available and cheaper. (Sometimes you appear to ditch logic in order to score points).

I appreciate that none of the Canon mirrorless cameras is as good as the Sony, but if you are heavily invested in the Canon system, either financially or emotionally, then they’re better than ‘good enough’. They’re perfectly usable tools for taking photographs.

Due to the Canon mounts being electronic, 3rd party adaptors are easy to build and readily available (as you’ll note from the success of Sony EF adaptors.)

I appreciate that none of the Canon mirrorless cameras is as good as the Sony, but if you are heavily invested in the Canon system, either financially or emotionally, then they’re better than ‘good enough’. They’re perfectly usable tools for taking photographs.*

I've added a little * there and I feel there should be a little list of caveats at the bottom of the page.

If that's your reasoning, why upgrade at all?

Just been thinking, when I first read that the shutter closes when you're changing lenses I thought what a good idea, why has no-one thought about it before.

This is one area where the A73 is horrible, I usually have to clean it every other day and this is something I didn't have to do with my old camera. It's not the end of the world as it's a very small thing but I'd certainly be happy for it to no longer be a regular ritual.

This is one area where the A73 is horrible, I usually have to clean it every other day and this is something I didn't have to do with my old camera. It's not the end of the world as it's a very small thing but I'd certainly be happy for it to no longer be a regular ritual.

Simon,

I have the original A7 and I change lenses frequently in any weather or location and I rarely have to worry about sensor contamination and it's not as if I don't care as when I had Canon DSLR's (20D, e5 etc) I was constantly cleaning the things despite changing lenses far less often. These days I have few issues just using basic technique...

I open my bag and make sure that I know where the new lens is.
I loosen the end cap.
I turn my camera off and turn away from any wind/rain etc and point the camera down.
I release the lens and place it in my bag.
I pick up the new lens, flick off the end cap and fit it to the camera.
I fit the end cap to the lens I've just taken off.

When I'm home I take an out of focus shot of a white door at minimum aperture and check it on the pc.

I've read of other peoples problems and I do have trouble understanding how an anal geek like me who is obsessed with dust bunnies can have few issues despite changing lenses willy nilly whilst other have many. Maybe the fact that I mostly use primes is a factor as zooms can I assume be dust pumps.

Sorry if you're already using a dust bunny preventing technique. I think that all we can do is try and cut down on the issue but I don't think it's ever going away completely.

Back