Canon film body recommendation please

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have a Canon FD 50mm F1.2 lens and will be looking to purchase a decent body for film use , any suggestions / recommendations please

Thanks

The T90 was probably the most technically advanced of all the Canon FD bodies, but I think they are horrid - enormous and plasticky. The Canon A-series of cameras seems to be far more popular with amateur shooters, and for good reason - aside from the Canon "cough"/"squeal", they tend to be reasonably trouble-free, and there is a large number of them available on the used market. The A-1 was the top of the series and comes with aperture/shutter priority and program modes. The AE-1 Program came with shutter priority/program, and the AE-1 was just shutter priority - these two were probably the most popular out of the line. The A-1 is a little bit more sturdy, and is probably the best fit for your 50mm f/1.2.

Virtually all of them are reliant on batteries and electronics, so ensure that they are tested and working before purchase - otherwise they are nothing more than an ornament.

Hi

I have a Canon FD 50mm F1.2 lens and will be looking to purchase a decent body for film use , any suggestions / recommendations please

Thanks

Honest opinion, I'd either sell the lens and buy something that'll work better on your DSLR or buy a cheap digital body to use it on. You might be able to find a Panasonic G1 or G2 for around £50, these have a x2 crop factor so the lens will give you a 100mm field of view and that might not sound so good but I've taken a lot of pictures with 50mm lenses on my Panasonic G1 and quite like the field of view.

That's just me, I've tried going back to film and all it did was remind me why I went digital.

The AE-1p is a fantastic camera for the fd mount, can do everything from full manual to full auto and never let me down. Darn cheap and rugged to boot.

Back