Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is going to happen as it looks too good to be true if a Google
search is correct.

I havent the full specs either but a new friend has advised that his friend
has a Sigma 120-300 for sale 'real cheap' as he needs the cash more than
the lens.

Google brings up a couple of options so can anyone advise which model
i should avoid if any & how can i tell if its past its sell by date or even stolen?

Thanks in advance.

Well, there are two models of this lens, the newer version is the DG one, and there's the older non-DG version. Both lenses are practically the same, in IQ, in ergonomics, in design, in built quality, it's just that the DG version has an extra coating on the rear (I think) element that is more suitable for digital, even though most people say that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. The only difference is that they use different tripod collars, the new one is MUCH better, it balances the lens perfectly, whereas the older one is just too small.

As for checking if it's stolen, I've heard that there's a database somewhere (hopefully someone will come up with the url) that has all SNs for stolen camera equipment.

What do you mean that you wanna check if it's past its sell by date?

As for really cheap, how much?

Be prepared for a shock when you've got it on the body, they're very heavy, you don't need to avoid either of them as they're both very good,

the later foot fits the earlier lens as they're basically the same, image quality is very good and easily the best you're going to get for the money, stick a 1.4 TC on and you get a 420mm f/4 with very little drop in quality.

Ignore the finish on the lens, used ones often have the paint flaking off, it's the optics and AF speed you're interested in, they're not particularly fast as there's a lot of glass to move about

I'd say £800 was cheap up to around £1200 for a mint EX DG, maybe a little more since the price rises came in though I did see a tatty looking canon fit one with tatty body but mint glass only made £668 last week on ebay, that was a bargain.

Great lens whether DG or non DG. If in good nick anything under a grand is a great deal!

Both lenses are practically the same, in IQ, in ergonomics, in design, in built quality, it's just that the DG version has an extra coating on the rear (I think) element that is more suitable for digital, even though most people say that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.
As for checking if it's stolen, I've heard that there's a database somewhere (hopefully someone will come up with the url) that has all SNs for stolen camera equipment.

What do you mean that you wanna check if it's past its sell by date?

Thank you, great help indeed.
As for being past it, i wasnt sure if they had any electronics in them which
may wear out etc.

Be prepared for a shock when you've got it on the body, they're very heavy, you don't need to avoid either of them as they're both very good,

the later foot fits the earlier lens as they're basically the same, image quality is very good and easily the best you're going to get for the money, stick a 1.4 TC on and you get a 420mm f/4 with very little drop in quality.

Ignore the finish on the lens, used ones often have the paint flaking off, it's the optics and AF speed you're interested in, they're not particularly fast as there's a lot of glass to move about

I'd say £800 was cheap up to around £1200 for a mint EX DG, maybe a little more since the price rises came in though I did see a tatty looking canon fit one with tatty body but mint glass only made £668 last week on ebay, that was a bargain.

Ive been using a 1d Mk2 with a 70-200 & x2 converter so im getting used
to the weight :puke:

how much - I could be interested and would render my 100-300 f4 up for sale

The price he is asking is £600 for a quick sale but i have yet to confirm
model & age/condition details.

Great lens whether DG or non DG. If in good nick anything under a grand is a great deal!

Thank you - most reasurring (y)

if in good nick then snap his hand off for 600 quid any version.. I had the non dg and it was a fantastic lens... this is the last set I did with mine before i sold it.. http://rug.fotopic.net/c1524208.html

Ive been using a 1d Mk2 with a 70-200 & x2 converter so im getting used
to the weight :puke:

You wish!
You can almost double the weight of the 70-200, seriously!

You wish!

Agree, I have an anglers trolly to help carry mine when I need to go any distance (any further than 100 yards mostly :) )

On the plus side, it's a very sharp lens, and I find it very fast, works well with a Sigma 1.4 TC.

I find it great on a 1 series body, with focussing being extremely fast, not so quick on a non pro body, but I think this is more to do with the body rather than the lens.

If it's in reasonable condition, £600 is a steal.

You wish!

Did 6hrs hours Sunday shooting a school rugby tournament & my feet
& shoulder still ache :LOL:

If the Sigma sale happens then it will be for my own use & i wont be
holding for that long. At this price im prepared to give it a go :LOL:

never used mine hand held.. always on a monopod

Did 6hrs hours Sunday shooting a school rugby tournament & my feet
& shoulder still ache :LOL:

You still here you should be knocking on his door before someone else does £600 is lower than i've ever seen one sold at

£600!?! :wacky:

Dont put here on TP for sale at that price, you'd get crushed in the stampede!!

For £600 i would guess he doesn't really know what he's selling. Anyone with that type of gear would surely know what it's worth.

You should snap his hand off for £600, regardless of version or cosmetic condition!

If you don't want it, then I'll confirm my interest providing its OK. My Canon fit Sigma 100-300EX F4 would be up for sale.

I think the phrase "you'll be lucky" was written to go with this post :LOL:

Sorry to be the damp squib on this but be prepared for the lens not to be able to keep up with the speed of your 1D. It might be OK on your 1DII, but I had major problems with 3 copies of the same lens on my 1DIII as it couldn't keep up with focus tracking. I think the motors aren't fast/strong enough to move the glass at 10fps. I sold it and bought a 2nd hand Canon 300 2.8 instead which is just amazing by comparison.

However, at that price you cant go wrong as you'll be able to sell it for more than that if you dont like it.

I'd be very suspicious of any too good to be true prices.

There is a publiseh PDF of Sigma lens serial numbers from the large burglary 18 months ago and I would definately check against that list.

I do not buy any Sigma lens without checking that list. I would guess if he is willing to sell for £600 he did not pay much more for it, making me question this...

Few more details...........

Its one year old & has been recently serviced with supporting paperwork.

Just need to find some cash lying around.

Hopefully i will see the lens on Sunday so will grab some pics of it & with it.

Thanks all (y)

Sorry to be the damp squib on this but be prepared for the lens not to be able to keep up with the speed of your 1D. It might be OK on your 1DII, but I had major problems with 3 copies of the same lens on my 1DIII as it couldn't keep up with focus tracking. I think the motors aren't fast/strong enough to move the glass at 10fps. I sold it and bought a 2nd hand Canon 300 2.8 instead which is just amazing by comparison.

However, at that price you cant go wrong as you'll be able to sell it for more than that if you dont like it.

I wonder if it's more to do with the camera than the lens, on my 40D the tracking was crap, while on my 1D MKII and 1DS MKII it's excellent, not quite as good as the Canon 300 f2.8 but not far short.

I put it down to the difference between pro and non pro bodies, but could it be more to do with the latest bodies perhaps related to the newer processors?

I too own this lens and for that money you should take his hand off (assuming his paperwork ties in) If you can't get the money, get yir Granny on Ebay to ensure you get the cash :) You won't be sorry its a great lens ;)
Ricky

I also have one that's 7 months old. It's a fantastic lens now my 1D MkIII has been fixed after the recall

It's also up for sale but not for £600, so I would bite his hand off

Ive just had confirmation that then lens will be available to see & try
on Sunday.
The owner is also providing the paperwork for the service etc.

He was using it on a 30d with no issues so hopefully its a good un.

Will post pics of it & some shots taken with it Sunday evening.

;) wouldn't you? Seriously? If Snoop69 decides he doesn't like it or its too heavy then I've already offered my 100-300 f4 which is often described as being as sharp, but is lighter, at a similarly crazy price.

I too own this lens and for that money you should take his hand off (assuming his paperwork ties in) If you can't get the money, get yir Granny on Ebay to ensure you get the cash :) You won't be sorry its a great lens ;)
Ricky

The used values for Grannies on Ebay has plummeted on Ebay due to the glut of Grannies in the credit crunch.

Unless they are Japanese Grannies, in which they have doubled in value due to the currency.

The used values for Grannies on Ebay has plummeted on Ebay due to the glut of Grannies in the credit crunch.

Are you allowed to sell the ashes of Grannies on Ebay :LOL:

Bless her soul :crying:

Who said anything about burnt grannies...?

Well someone said to put my gran on Ebay to raise the funds & as my gran
has been cremated blah blah blah :LOL:

Trouble is, there a people out there selling Grannies on Ebay with MACK warranties, dont trust them, they are not worth the paper their written on. I have several Grannies here; some with dodgy hips, eyers and hearing and MACK wont do a thing about it.......

I saw the lens today & here are a few pics of it.

I was wrong about the paperwork, he meant it would be supplied with a sales
invoice to confirm change of ownership.

Anyway, im happy with it & will hopefully have it paid for by next weekend :)

Oh, its bloody heavy :eek:

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

4. Me launching a missile
IMG_1501.jpg

get a monopod, you'll need it, they get heavy after a days shooting , did you get the TC with it or is that yours

Back