Beginner Canon LEGRIA HF G25 HD 1080p

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Canon LEGRIA HF G25 HD 1080p Camcorder, 2.37MP, 10x Optical Zoom, 3.5” Touchscreen, Black

Looking for my first video camera is far harder than looking for my first dslr ever was :( nightmare as dont know enough.. Have decided dont need 4k (yet) as it limits some things and nobody is much going to view it yet... 1080 which i believe is blueray qulity should be good enough and 4k is compressed down to 1080 for most viewing (who havent got 4k tv etc)

have landed on the above.

Looking to cover field sports and charge so need decent... but also need hand held...

1080p50 will be better than p25 for sport unless you like stuttering motion.

Ergonomics are key, so you need to try it out. Shutter speed, iris and ISO are the same as on your DSLR, but shutter speed us usually fixed at 1/2 frame rate.

4k isn't there yet. The broadcasters want 4k, 100fps, high dynamic range, better colour and better audio.

So am right not to get sucked into 4k..ta

1080 50 fps for sport.. OK will amend search.. thanks :)

So am right not to get sucked into 4k..ta

1080 50 fps for sport.. OK will amend search.. thanks :)

4k + HDR + better colours looks amazing, 4k by itself not so much (to the point that the EBU that there's little perceptible difference to HD)

!080p50 or 1080i50 will give better motion portrayal than p25. p25 is more filmic.

I bought the Legria G25 and chose it over Panasonic's equivalent top-spec model (the x920) because of its better manual controls, native 1920x1080 chip, low light capability, image stabilisation and ability to use an external mic. The camcorder has a decent build quality and doesn't feel flimsy at all. In fact, despite being (relatively) large for a modern camcorder, it sits really neatly and comfortable in your hand. The screen is large and clear though the touch-screen element requires a really decent push with your thumb; perhaps I have clumsy fingers? The batteries are charged whilst sat in the camcorder (common), so it needs a little bit of forward planning unless you buy an external charger

As said above, ergonomics are key and you must feel comfortable using the camcorder, when I tried out the Panasonic, I recall when panning quickly from side to side; it gave a message saying it was panning too fast and you do have to move smoothly when using a camcorder.

The Canon is a very easy to use camcorder and will suit most people, but your needs are fairly speciifc and ideally you should experiment using one in the conditions you expect to shoot - pity we are not nearer to each other, you could have borrowed mine to have a play / try out.

I had been agonising over the x920M ..the LEGRIA HF G25 is now off the list because as mentioned above i need 1080/50 not 25

I may revisit the x920M unless theres any real reason not to

The Canon Camera records 1080i50 - so it will record faster motion (This is the format used by Sky and the BBC for sport)

It also records 1080p25 for when you want more cinematic motion.

1080p50 is nicer - it has slightly more resolution than 1080i50, but is double the datarate so is only really found on top end cameras.

One point in favour of 4K is the ability to crop to 1080, thereby allowing you to give different visual looks. Provide a zoom effect when one wasn't originality shot, or give a 2 camera look to a interview with cropped close up from a 3/4 shot etc. . Also in some circumstances 4K resolved to 1080 can offer slightly better colour fidelity. If you don't like the HF G25 look at the HF G30. Its a camera I've used for about two years. It shoots 50p, has twin card slots for duel or extended recording.

panasonic x920M still looking good now to be honest

Sorry for this no brainer.. if doing video for web viewing am i right in thinking 4k no effect or still be worthwhile?

So just to be clear.. and believe me i have spent horrs reading reviews so not being lazy...

After a long day and watching vids and reading up on 4k..its great for post process

Need a cam thats fast enough for sport.. can do 1080/50p and 4k fastest?

really struggling :( getting tird of looking as i either dont know enough of the revews dont answer my questions..

reccomendations for above? panasonics look good but struggling with one

Last edited:
As far as I know all prosumer 4K cameras will do 4K. Have a look at the JVC HM170.

Also try the Panasonic HC X100"

I should probably put a limit on this and say up to £1k

Check out Canon HF-G30 about £800 Films in 50p

Sorry thought you were just interested in HD .

Back