Canon lens advice

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Please :)

Morning all. Hope you all had a good new year. I have a question re my 20D which I took delivery of yesterday. I need as close to an all round lens as I can due to a new year diminishing funds. To this end, I have about £150 to spend. I'm keen to get into street as I have been bitten by the bug, but I also like to shoot some sports and dogs (I love catching them mid jump!)

I was previously recommended a Tamron 28-300 XR DI, which is currently £127 at Jessop's. Before I run out and get one, I'd just like to get any other recommendations?

I'm open to buying a good condition used lens too. (Been scouring the classifieds!)

Many thanks in advance,

Nick

The 55-250mm IS is a good lens. Obviously neither as wide or with as much reach as the Tamron, but I found it had excellent IQ throughout. Should be able to pick one up second hand for within budget.

The 55-250mm IS is a good lens. Obviously neither as wide or with as much reach as the Tamron, but I found it had excellent IQ throughout. Should be able to pick one up second hand for within budget.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll see if I can get some reviews up on it

Bumping myself in case anyone has any different suggestions (y)

Agree with Swag the 55-200 IS came out as one of the recommend budget lenses in Photo Plus and got a great review in their for sharpness and has IS which at 300mm you will need if not using tripod.

I have a 28-300 and its ok. Not great but covers a big focal length in a small lightweight solution. Aperture isn't fast so no creative DOF effects and when it gets dark focussing becomes less accurate, so MF, and you'll have to up the ISO earlier than otherwise.

The 55-250IS would be a good lens to have in addition to the standard kit lens, but the 55 end would be too short as a everyday lens I think.

You don't need a tripod for the 300mm lens, nor do you require IS - you just need to realise that you need good light and good technique ( good posture and keeping an eye on shutter speeds)

I'd find 28mm to wide as my only lens, how much is the older non-OS version of sigmas 18-200 going for? Failing that i'd try for something like a sigma 17-70 second hand and save up for a sigma 70-300 apo

I'd find 28mm to wide as my only lens, how much is the older non-OS version of sigmas 18-200 going for? Failing that i'd try for something like a sigma 17-70 second hand and save up for a sigma 70-300 apo

The 70-300 is going for the same price as the Tamron 28-300 on Jessop's site?

I have the Canon 55-250 IS and it is a bit short at the 55 end. To replace the 18-55 std kit lens (my dads) i have ordered a Sigma 17-70mm DC macro which came very highly reccomended on here. it's £220ish on the net but used you could find one for your budget or look in the for sale section, there is a sigma 18-200mm f3.5 DC almost new...mine!(y)

I have the Canon 55-250 IS and it is a bit short at the 55 end. To replace the 18-55 std kit lens (my dads) i have ordered a Sigma 17-70mm DC macro which came very highly reccomended on here. it's £220ish on the net but used you could find one for your budget or look in the for sale section, there is a sigma 18-200mm f3.5 DC almost new...mine!(y)

Don't know how I missed that! I'll do some quick research on this now...

Back