Canon Lens Fittings

Keltic Ice Man

Glossary King
Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

Wonder if someone can help me understand Canon fittings for lenses.

I have the Eos 350D and I'm not sure what sort of fitting it will take. There seems to be FD, AF, MF and EF that I've seen on fleabay so far. Will any of these work?

My kit lens says EF-s does that mean the fitting is EF-s?

Thanks

Allan

The 350D, 300D, 20D and 30D will take either EF or EF-S lenses.

All other EOS cameras take only EF lenses.

Lenses such as the FD series predate autofocus and belong with older cameras like the A-1 and AE-1 - no good for yours I'm afraid, although some of them are good and cheap! :)

Thanks Guys

So something like this
Ebay Link

for a
SIGMA APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO, CANON FITMENT AF-MF

any ideas what sort of fitting it would be?

and on this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290009900729&fromMakeTrack=true
it says Sigma 70 - 300mm F4 - 5.6 DG Macro for Canon AF but then says it was used on a 350D so I assume its an EF.

It just struck me - perhaps Sigma lenses work with any Canon fitting?

Thanks

I've got that lens and it is an EF fit, but you can switch between AF and MF

Apo = Apochromatic is their high end glass.

It looks like the sellers have got mixed up and are just saying those lenses are for AF cameras, when in fact they are EF lenses ! lol

If it says it will fit an EOS camera, it will fit ! The only time it gets complicated is if its EF-S which dont fit the 1 series bodies or earlier EOS cameras.

Not sure what it stands for but the APO is better than the non APO version.
It will be an EF fit, it is too new to be made with FD fitting and FD would not support AF as they are mechanicaly not eletronically controlled.

It's a cracking lens - I've had mine for a while now and it's rarely off the camera....well, it wasn't until I got the nifty fifty anyway!!!

*edit*
Just occurred to me - my usual ebay search is "canon EOS" which usually turns up the best results. That was as a general rule you get Sigma, Tamron, and all the other compatible lenses along with the Canon ones.

Back