canon lens for a beginner

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
hey there,

Ok, i've been thinking lots, and debating lots about what camera to get (as everyone in chat can probably attest to as i've bored the crap out of them for a while now!)

anyway, ive decided on the 60d (mainly down to its variangled magicness) so that's what i shall be getting!

however, i'm now debating what lens to get with it -
i'm hoping to shoot everything really, to learn as much as i can, pets, family-friends, architecture, landscapes - anything i can think of really.

so the kit ones i can find are EF-S 17-85mm IS and 18-55mm IS.
i want to get a cheaper - kit lens and buy another lens in a few months once i know what i want to do / know what im doing.

any other advice on lenses would be great!

to add to my box of tricks to buy, so far i'm getting 2 memory cards, possibly spare battery, and a bag at some point - any other items to add that i've missed?

thanks for your time

andy

Last edited by a moderator:
The 17-55 IS isn't a kit lens, it's quite an expensive, and very very good lens!

Do you mean the 18-55 IS which is the standard kit lens?

Oh and I'd get a decent bag as soon as possible!

ok, I think i messed up a bit there

It's 18-55 IS and 17-85 IS

sorry!

scoped said:
ok, I think i messed up a bit there

It's 18-55 IS and 17-85 IS

sorry!

No need to apologise!

The IS version if the 18-55 is supposed to be pretty decent, as is the 18-135 IS if you want a bit more range.

Sigma and tamron also make good lenses in the 17-85 range.

If you are prepared to spend that much on the body, don't buy the cheapest lens available.
As far as budget lens go, I would start with the 17-85mm IS rather than the 18-55 IS as it's a USM lens, plus the additional focal length would be an advantage.
I can't remember but although Jim has suggested the 18-135 IS, I think the 17-85mm IS fairs better in reviews (just google both of them).
I replaced my 18-55 IS with a 17-85mm IS when I had my 450D and I had plenty of fun with it as my starter lens.

Last edited:
Being a beginner myself and having had a look round and pestered quite a few people a canon 28-135 does he trick for me, its got a good range for a walk about lens.
Obviously other people have used different things and that work for them, but the 28-135 worked for me.

Cheers

I would severely miss the wide end on a 28-135mm lens mounted to a 1.6x crop sensor body.. Then again my latest lens acquisition is 8mm.. :nuts:

I use the 18-135mm most on my 60D.

Decent lens for te money and is good as a general purpose "walk about" lens as it covers a good range.

A nice upgrade from the 18-55mm if you can't (yet) afford to go for something better.

hey there,

Ok, i've been thinking lots, and debating lots about what camera to get (as everyone in chat can probably attest to as i've bored the crap out of them for a while now!)

anyway, ive decided on the 60d (mainly down to its variangled magicness) so that's what i shall be getting!

however, i'm now debating what lens to get with it -
i'm hoping to shoot everything really, to learn as much as i can, pets, family-friends, architecture, landscapes - anything i can think of really.

so the kit ones i can find are EF-S 17-85mm IS and 18-55mm IS.
i want to get a cheaper - kit lens and buy another lens in a few months once i know what i want to do / know what im doing.

any other advice on lenses would be great!

to add to my box of tricks to buy, so far i'm getting 2 memory cards, possibly spare battery, and a bag at some point - any other items to add that i've missed?

thanks for your time

andy

Are you buying new or second hand?

"Are you buying new or second hand?"

at the moment i want to buy new, however, once i've learnt more and i'm more comfortable with my level of knowledge, i'll definately look at second hand lenses

"Adding to your box of tricks - How about a tripod? Useful for landscapes, invaluable for nightime shots of buildings etc."

I'll be using a sort of tripod attached to my wheelchair, with a ball head on, so hopefully it'll work the same and give the added stability

Agree with most of above, there are many accessories you will want in addition to glass so you may consider those first while you get started. Glass more will aide image quality more so than the body so the nicer the glass the happier you will be in the long term. In saying that all canon glass is good and until you know what your subject is stick with the kit glass or even add a 55-250EF-S in the short to medium term. I took the route of get familiar with shooting and the body, menus, using flash first. when I could fly through the camera menus and set up body for each picture plus make changes on the fly to suite conditions, then looked at better glass. 18-55 and 55-250 that came with my old 400D made some pretty darn nice images. I think any one here would tell you the same. I only bought glass when I got to the limitations of the kit lenses - such as low light and long zoom requirements. hope this helps you out now go take some pictures:)

I'd give another vote to the 28-135mm. I find it meets my needs and is a great walk about lens, handles most things I want to do. That and my nifty fifty are fine for me at the mo just starting out. I got the nifty fifty new and the 28-135mm second hand, think it was around £255 I paid all together for the both and I'm happy with them!

How about a step up from the kit lens with a Tamron 17-50 (non-VC). Brilliant lens for the money you pay.

Hey guys,

just thought I'd give a bit of an update,

I ordered the 60D with a 17-85mm lens a few days ago, so i'm hoping it'll come monday!

thanks for the replies,

they were all very much appreciated :)

Andy

(now you might see me more on the forum once i actually start taking some photos!)

Back