Canon Lenses

Name
Phil Sage
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning, ive been using my dslr for a couple of years now and want to expand my range of lenses,

Good morning to you. I guess you want to get advice on what lenses you should buy.

Good morning, ive been using my dslr for a couple of years now and want to expand my range of lenses,

You need to explain what type of photography you are into plus the lenses you already have.
Once you've done that people can then give you some good advice.

if you are looking for advice it'd help if you let know what you already own and what you would like to shoot that you can't with your current lenses or how you find them limiting.

Hi, half my post was cut off, i have a 24 mm, a 50 mm and two kit lenses, 17-55 and the 75-300, i'm looking to buy a 18-135, will this be a good interim lens to save me changing lenses between my two kit lenses. Im prepared to spend up to £400-500 if necessary for the right lens as i don't want to buy a lens that wont overly expand my range. I photograph motor sports, portraits, landscapes and street. One of my friends used a 17-55 f2.8 on a week end trip and i don't remember him actually changing lenses all week-end. But its the correlation between a 17-55 and my 75-300, you would think the 75-300 would be a much better lens.......the numbering confuses me !

The Canon 17-55 f2.8 is a fantastic lens, easily as good as a Canon L lens, so keep that one!

The 17-55 f2.8 is a great lens and a great upgrade from the standard kit lens.
The Canon 75-300 is a budget lens and doesn't have image stabilisation. You might find that the Canon 55-250 IS STM to be a better option with a better AF motor (the STM bit) and IS will help too and it won't leave a gap between the zoom ranges.
If you look at secondhand prices, you can find a Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS for about £350-400 and a 55-250 IS STM will be around £130.
A bit of smart shopping and you can get both for your £500 budget.
Check out MPB for secondhand prices.

The 17-55 f2.8 will be a great lens for portraits, landscapes and street, although the 24mm might be good for a less bulky setup for street photography.
The 55-250 IS STM is a much newer a better lens, it's faster to focus which will be better for motorsports, although it's not quite so long, but until you can afford a better option, this is a great lens.

I have the 17-55 F/2.8 and it’s a corking lens, however be prepared for the weight of it
If you’re only used to kit lenses and primes it’s a lot bulkier and heavier, when you’re holding it all day

Back