Beginner Canon M50 or Sony RX100 V?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I’m torn between these two cameras.

I am a complete newbie and need a decent camera for the following:

Work - I do semipermanent make up so need decent up close shots of brows.

Kids - I want decent pics of my kids including studio style photoshoots.

Travel - I’m going back to Venice next year and need a camera that isn’t too big or bulky as I have tiny hands and don’t want to lug a big camera round.

Will the Sony give me decent, large prints?

I really want to learn photography though so would rather spend more on a decent camera now to save upgrading in the near future.

you can get decent large prints with a smart phone too.

the main benefit of M50 is its an ILC so as your skill and passion grows you can expand your lens line up with it. downside is M50 is treated a bit like b*****d child of canon, you never know when they'll stop supporting it. the lens line and options aren't great either.

If you are interested in small cheaper ILC options then perhaps look at some older Fujis or Sonys.
about 6 months ago I'd have also suggested micro four thirds bodies from olympus and panasonic but these days not sure where that's going either in the long term.

alternatively RX100 VA (get the 'VA' not the 'V' helpful for shooting kids) can give you equally decent pictures but no options to change lenses etc. you could always sell it and move on if you feel you want something more in the future. Certainly very travel friendly. Personally not a big fan of these RX100 bodies and I find them fiddly at best but this forum has a lot of folks who swear by their RX100s :D

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

What are the smallest DSLR bodies available? That’s what drew me to the M50 in the first place, the size.

Thanks for your replies.

What are the smallest DSLR bodies available? That’s what drew me to the M50 in the first place, the size.
Have a look at the Olympus E-M10 - really small for an SLR shaped camera, especially with the 14-42 pancake zoom. My wife has one as a high quality upgrade to a compact, and it's good. Lenses are also cost effective, and readily available used : the Canon has a limited lens range.

Thank you, I’ll have a look. I’m just wanting a small camera that I can grow with. I know the RX100 has a built in lens so not really ideal for learning photography.

I thought mirrorless would the way forward as assumed they would be less bulky than a traditional DSLR? Is that not the case?

I thought mirrorless would the way forward as assumed they would be less bulky than a traditional DSLR? Is that not the case?

Generally yes, it IS the case. However many mirrorless cameras are *shaped* like DSLRs because it's a very practical shape that puts all the right bits in the right places. Rangefinder types (like some Fuji, Panasonics and Olympus cameras) either miss out the viewfinder or plonk it at one end where it's awkward if your dominant eye is on the wrong side.

Size comparison:
E-M10 vs the M50: https://j.mp/2OaoCmK
E-M10 vs RX100 for size: https://j.mp/37A1r2x
E-M10 vs Canon 7D (conventional DSLR): https://j.mp/1G2Xj5J

HTH

Back