Canon M6 Mk2, still worth it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Well first off it's been quite a few years since I've posted on TP. Photography comes and goes, but my love for it thankfully remains.

I've been using my trusty 80D and lenses for a good few years now but I'd really like something small and lightweight to take with me most times I'm in the great outdoors. Something to throw in my backpack or hip pack when out biking or walking. I have my eye on used M6 Mk2's. Spec looks good, but I am a little concerned with the long term support. It appears Canon will put all their efforts in the R mirrorless range now?

I'd also like to try more videography. Reviews suggest there are better than the M6 out there.

Anyway, looking for a bit of reassurance that it will be a solid camera for years to come.

Cheers,
Col

While yes the M series is clearly on borrowed time.. so what? If you’re just using EF lens then you’re sorted so it won’t affect you.

I use a Kodak DCS Pro SLR N (14 mp full frame monster) and Kodak stopped selling these in 2004….

I use an M5 (five) and it has really impressed me. Same sensor as the 80D.

The M6ii shares it's sensor with the 90D, so all good there. The only thing that narked me about the M6ii was the lack of a viewfinder, unless you paid another £200 for it. I never figured that one out really when you could get a 90D for similar money. I suppose it's a size thing.

That said, I'm sure the M6ii will serve you well for years to come. As you have an 80D, you will be able to use your EF and EF/S lenses on the M6, you will of course need the adapter.

I was very tempted by the M6ii a while back but the viewfinder situation stopped me. I was waiting on the R7 being announced at the time, bought the M5 to tide me over and now I have an R7.

Now I have the R7, I could sell the M5 but I like it too much, I'm keeping it. If the M6ii is an improvement on the M5, which it should be, then I'd recommend it.

Last edited:
I got a second hand M6 about a year ago and have enjoyed using it. Even with the EF-M 55-200 mm lens on it still fits in my fleece pocket OK.

I've not got an EVF for it, the only occasions I miss one is in the brightest of sunlight.

There's a limited range of M lenses, but if you have an adapter the choice gets bigger (but, how many lenses do you want?). However, I've found that using a "chunky" piece of glass ware imbalances the feel of the camera.

I bought an R6 recently but opted to keep my M6 II for those occasions where I don’t want to lug around 8kg of equipment (sometimes more).

I have most of the EF-M lenses that they’ve made (along with a couple of Laowa lenses). I love its size and weight and can happily live without a viewfinder in these situations. I do have one of the original viewfinders (EVF DC-1 iirc) that came with my M3 and it works a treat. You can pick theses up for under £90 second hand, but I rarely use it.

The autofocus is fast and it’s not laggy at all (unlike the M3). I think it does 4k video as well. I’ve even done macro with it.

I love mine and won’t get rid of it even if it gets discontinued.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Picked up a used M6 Mk2 from MPB. Came in great condition, like new as described. Also bought a used kit lens, the 15-45mm. Early shots are pleasing and I love the small compact size.

Will maybe share some photos on the forum at some point.

I bought a M6 MKII around 9 months ago to take on holiday to Venice. I also bought the adapter and viewfinder when I traded in my 70D with MPB.

So far I think it's an excellent camera and, as stated, if you have all your previous lenses then they all still work well enough. I kept my EF 24-105, EF 70-200 MKII and my Sigma 10-20 but traded in a Siggy 17-50. I ended up paying around £150 extra.

The only things that I've come across is the Peak strap interfering with the control dial when the camera was held vertically but solved that with a Peak adapter that fits on the tripod mount. The other thing is switching between silent and mechanical shutter modes. After delving into the menu all the time I set up C2 for that and now it's quick to set in churches and museums etc.

Since doing those I've had no other problems and now love the camera for it's lightness and ease of use.

Enjoy...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Picked up a used M6 Mk2 from MPB. Came in great condition, like new as described. Also bought a used kit lens, the 15-45mm. Early shots are pleasing and I love the small compact size.

Will maybe share some photos on the forum at some point.
I am pleased that you are enjoying your M6 mk2, I bought a used one about a year ago with the additional viewfinder and 15-45mm since then it has been my go to camera for day trips and holidays. I did try it next to a M5 and found the auxiliary viewfinder of the M6 far better than the built in EVF of the M5 it just seemed clearer and less laggy though not without delay, panning a relatively close or fast moving subject is possible but not great. I bought a 22mm f/2 which has not been used as much as I thought it would, it is a fine lens but so far I have not really taken to it, unlike the 11-22mm which I bought just before a trip to Vienna this Autumn that was used for most of my photos in the city.
I did not reply to your first post in this thread because the answer to will Canon keep supporting the M system is a bit of an unknown, they (M system Canons) were never as popular in the UK unlike in Japan where I am told they are or were a big seller.

Got a 22mm for Christmas. A snap taken from the back of my local pub. It's not going to win me Photographer of the Year, but, I was quite pleased with the low light performance

bikesbluebell2-jpg.376056

Sorry, should have said. Taken with an M6. I would definitely consider upgrading to an M6mkii

Back