Beginner Canon Model Numbers...

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone explain to me how these work?

I am in the market for a new DSLR (upgrading from my bridge camera) and I have no idea how Canon have worked this out! The only way I can tell which are the 'better' models is often through the price and this to some extent seems to be frustrating my search!

The lower the number the better the camera when it comes to Canon.

EOS 1 series are the flagship models.
EOS 5 series are next in line.
Etc

Thanks... makes perfect sense now...

As above, lower numbers are supposed to be better, single figures e.g. EOS 1, 5, 6, 7 are pretty much pro cameras. Double figures are more "prosumer" and the triple numbers 700 etc are more beginner cameras, though I'd say they can all take a good picture, the lower number ones tend to have more options, and better A/F etc.

As above, lower numbers are supposed to be better, single figures e.g. EOS 1, 5, 6, 7 are pretty much pro cameras. Double figures are more "prosumer" and the triple numbers 700 etc are more beginner cameras, though I'd say they can all take a good picture, the lower number ones tend to have more options, and better A/F etc.

Thanks, @rick448 appreciate the extra clarity on this. I can start to make sense of it all now!

An answer to the question you never asked...

I’d personally avoid the ‘starter’ cameras, cameras that are aimed at beginners but are actually harder to use (less orgonomic - less buttons, more menu driven changes).

It makes more sense to buy S/h mid range cameras, you’ll lose less money when you upgrade, and you’ll have it longer before you feel the need to upgrade.

An answer to the question you never asked...

I’d personally avoid the ‘starter’ cameras, cameras that are aimed at beginners but are actually harder to use (less orgonomic - less buttons, more menu driven changes).

It makes more sense to buy S/h mid range cameras, you’ll lose less money when you upgrade, and you’ll have it longer before you feel the need to upgrade.

Thanks @Phil V , I was just sat here reading some other articles online (Won't be ordering from SLRHUT! after that) and was contemplating a "follow up" question and this answers it before I had to ask...

But I will ask... If I'm looking for a "bundle" what kind of things should I look for? I want something that (helps me to) takes awesome photos, but also shoot reasonable quality video too. I'm thinking more in terms of lenses etc. I like taking photos of architecture/built environment, urban photography and just things that jump out at me when I'm exploring. I'm walking the length of the tube (overground, station to station) next year and want to make sure I have the right kit for this. I'd like to do some low light stuff as well.

I'll be doing the usual walking into town to look at the cameras in the shop and speaking to staff about them etc, but it would be good to have decent idea of what kind of thing to look for. My finepix is still working great, but it's just not gonna cut it for me now and it's getting in years a bit as well!

But I will ask... If I'm looking for a "bundle" what kind of things should I look for? I want something that (helps me to) takes awesome photos, but also shoot reasonable quality video too.

1st question...
Why Canon?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a long time Canon user, but their low light ability compared to Nikon / Sony isn’t the winning answer. Also if you’re looking to combine photo and video, maybe an M4/3 kit from Panasonic is the answer.

Cameras are no different to any other complex machine, each maker has their advantages.

Then remember that lenses are much more important than cameras in the grand scheme of things. A fast standard lens in your kit bag will give better results than the kit zoom that comes with the camera. People think we’re daft when they find we’ve spent £700 on a camera, then realise it’s worse than they imagined when they find we spent twice that on our favourite lens.

2nd question, what’s your budget?

Last edited:
1st question...
Why Canon?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a long time Canon user, but their low light ability compared to Nikon / Sony isn’t the winning answer. Also if you’re looking to combine photo and video, maybe an M4/3 kit from Panasonic is the answer.

It's a brand I know and have used before, I've used a Nikon briefly but not enough to really get to know it. There is a photographer who I like who gets really awesome results with Canon and that had something to do with my choice, but isn't the sole factor.

This is why I asked the question - I have a little knowledge, which as we know, can be a dangerous thing!

1st question...

2nd question, what’s your budget?

I've just started selling all of my old DJing hardware, so budget (all in), will be around £1750-2000.\

Edit **If there is change from the budget then this is always a huge bonus!**

Last edited:
Ok
Do you fancy...
DSLR or mirrorless
Full frame or crop

Will you be happy with a decent walkabout zoom and one fast std zoom are are you after more lenses?

M5 with kit zoom, 22mm and 32mm *11-18
80d with 17-55 and 30 or 35Art *11-18
6dII with 24-70 (Tamron?) and 50mm stm *17-35 Tamron or similar

* You might want to add a wide zoom (perhaps go cheaper on the std zoom to fund it)
MPB for S/h but you might get a better deal on the body going grey market... panamoz or hdew

Ok
Do you fancy...
DSLR or mirrorless
Full frame or crop

Will you be happy with a decent walkabout zoom and one fast std zoom are are you after more lenses?

M5 with kit zoom, 22mm and 32mm *11-18
80d with 17-55 and 30 or 35Art *11-18
6dII with 24-70 (Tamron?) and 50mm stm *17-35 Tamron or similar

* You might want to add a wide zoom (perhaps go cheaper on the std zoom to fund it)
MPB for S/h but you might get a better deal on the body going grey market... panamoz or hdew

I'll be happy with a couple of lenses to begin with - don't need to spend all of the money at once, and I would rather spend a little bit more money and have better kit that is going to last longer than things that I will outgrow more quickly and will have less resale value when I come to sell them. I am hoping it will be more of a long term investment to be honest!

I like the idea of going mirrorless, but would need to look into this a little more, as I understand(?) it, this means the image goes right to the sensor rather than being 'projected' onto it by mirrors?

Unsure about the grey market (I assume by this you mean imports(sorry if this is incorrect!) but if you mean second hand then I am open to this as long as it is through a decent retailer where I will get some warranty/guarantee), I've heard varying things; i.e. lots of bad things about SLRHUT who seem to have a lot of grey imports from what I have read.

as I understand(?) it, this means the image goes right to the sensor rather than being 'projected' onto it by mirrors?
No.
In a DSLR, when you look through the viewfinder, you’re looking through an optical path with a mirror, the mirror flips up when the picture is taken (blacking out the viewfinder).

In a mirrorless, the image goes straight to the sensor all the time, the viewfinder is a small lcd screen showing what the sensor is recording.

Basically, mirrorless is the future, but unless you’re buying the absolute best, there’s still places where DSLRs are the better technology. The M5 is a cracking little camera, but there’s still occasions where it frustrates because it isn’t as fast as a DSLR.

From that list, I’d go for a grey 6dII and look for an old 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM (very old lens but in many ways outperforms a lot of modern lenses), a 50mm STM (bargain) and then a good wide angle zoom (research required to get a bargain). A nice modern body with WiFi and gps, not too large, decent performance without being an absolute pro camera.

Phil, depending on what quality video Chris wants, wouldn't he save more money and get better bang for buck going for a 'mint' used 6D rather than a new Mk2? The original 6D doesn't have the flippy screen (so probably less to break in future!) or duel pixel AF but I believe it handles low light/high ISO better and as Chris is going to be taking photos of mainly static objects (architecture) and not fast-moving sports or wildlife, would he really benefit from anything the 6D MkII has that the original 6D doesn't have? If not, then why spend the extra money, which could buy another lens or two (a used 50mm STM II and 40mm pancake for instance)? The 40mm pancake lens would probably make a nice compact set-up for street type scenes, as I find the 50mm can be a bit too 'tight' and a 35mm a bit too wide at times?

Last edited:
The original 6D doesn't have the flippy screen (so probably less to break in future!) or duel pixel AF but I believe it handles low light/high ISO better and as Chris is going to be taking photos of mainly static objects (architecture) and not fast-moving sports or wildlife, would he really benefit from anything the 6D MkII has that the original 6D doesn't

The 6dII got a bad rap for no good reason at launch. IIRC the only measure the original has over the mk2 is the DR at base ISO but d lot was made of this. And iirc the high iso performance of the mk2 is an improvement (and the 6d is no slouch)

I’d personally appreciate the flappy screen and improved AF, particularly for the cost difference between the 2 cameras.

But you’re right, the 6d is a bargain s/h currently.

xD - top of the range professional level cameras
xxD
xxxD
xxxxD - entry level cameras.

on the xxD, xxxD, xxxxD, generally the bigger the number, the more recent it is, although its getting confusing as the xxxD range started with the 300D, but now there is a 200D.

Thanks so much for all of the responses folks, I really appreciate the time and effort :)

Last thing then (I think!)... Other than those already mentioned, can you point me in the direction of any decent online retailers either new or s/h that you have used, have experience of or are aware of that would be worth me looking at?

For 2nd hand..
Mpb
Leeds camera exchange
We

New
All of the above

Grey
Panamoz
HDEW

"Grey"? Imports?

I say this to people who want a camera. Get your self a short list and go and try them out. See if they suit you are buttons right for you. Is the menu system right. Do not settle for I will get used to it. You are buying into a system. Make sure it’s the right one

I say this to people who want a camera. Get your self a short list and go and try them out. See if they suit you are buttons right for you. Is the menu system right. Do not settle for I will get used to it. You are buying into a system. Make sure it’s the right one
Whilst this advice always reads as if it’s the obvious thing to do;
If you’ve never used a dslr before, how do you know which buttons are important to you? Which menu items?

I’ve seen so many people who don’t know how to hold a camera properly, how will a newbie know what’s comfortable given they’re probably holding it wrong?

The reality is that what we settle for becomes ‘normal’.

Last edited:
There is a photographer who I like who gets really awesome results with Canon and that had something to do with my choice, but isn't the sole factor.

Camera has only a part to play in producing great images - it's the organism behind that plays the major part. What you say above is saying like if this Masterchef champion cooks with Le Creuset pots and pans, then you can only create great dishes using Le Creuset.

Camera has only a part to play in producing great images - it's the organism behind that plays the major part. What you say above is saying like if this Masterchef champion cooks with Le Creuset pots and pans, then you can only create great dishes using Le Creuset.
Yet you would know that Le Creuset pots and pans will not stop you excelling so it is a positive aspect of the choice.

Thanks for all of your replies everyone, it's been really helpful and has certainly opened my eyes a little more to what's out there and I can now see how those pesky model numbers work! I'm still waiting on a bit more money coming in before I go and make some purchases and I will let you know how everything pans out and hopefully share some cool images with you all.

So I already know I want a bag, a tripod and a remote release when I buy my new camera, but what's the one accessory you couldn't do without?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
So I already know I want a bag, a tripod and a remote release when I buy my new camera, but what's the one accessory you couldn't do without?
A lens ;)
Joking apart though, if you are just starting out then there really isn't much more that you need, but that does depend on what type of photography you are into. If it's landscape, then maybe look at some filters or if it's portraits then maybe a Speedlight.
Having had a read of one of your replies it looks like architecture is your main point of interest, so a camera, wide lens, tripod, remote shutter release and bag will do you fine.

Touché.

Portraits might be something I think about in the future, but for now I am sticking stuff that doesn't move... or if it does, then I'm not going for anything faster than a glacier :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your replies everyone, it's been really helpful and has certainly opened my eyes a little more to what's out there and I can now see how those pesky model numbers work! I'm still waiting on a bit more money coming in before I go and make some purchases and I will let you know how everything pans out and hopefully share some cool images with you all.

Thanks again!
Seriously until you know what you want to shoot and how, you won’t know what’s an essential accessory.

Don’t expect the world to answer the questions you don’t even comprehend yet, put some effort into building your own knowledge and experience.

Back