Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Canon EOS 750D

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Name
Aura
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a Pentax K30 and I'm looking to upgrade my equipment, the reason being is that I'm finding it hard to find accessorie's for the Pentax and I have been looking further afield.

I've been looking at the Canon EOS 750D, and the Nikon D5300. I'm a bit confused about which is the better one, I do landscapes and documenting and I don't know which one to choose. can you help me decide please?
icon_question.gif

Both come with 18-55m lenses.

Many thanks.

they are both good cameras so it will be down to personal preference. I'd go to a shop and have a play with both and buy the one that feels easiest to use. If you want to do video I think the canon might be easier to use (that is from my experience of comparing my daughters 700D and my D7100).

Last edited:
Yep, agreed......Nikon. ;) As said above, go into a shop & hold them both. (y)

To be honest the Nikon D5000 series controls are awful and I'm a Nikon user. It's firmly aimed at beginners and you'll need to get good at diving through menus because it doesn't have the button controls for setting ISO and other functions. I think it expects you to shoot in one of the auto modes. I'd go for a D7100/D7200 if you can, these are excellent and would be a better long term choice

Last edited:
By far the most important thing is getting the camera that is most comfortable to you and has the button placement and menu structure you get on with the best. Also, if you think that you might investing more at a future date it's worth looking into which brand has the lenses and accessories etc that you might want. Canikon tend to have everything you want though, although there are some differences in lens lineups.

In terms of the camera bodies listed, in pure terms of performance the Nikon is markedly better.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-750D-versus-Nikon-D5300___1010_919

The Canon does have the hybrid AF which is useful if you want to shoot video.

To be honest the Nikon D5000 series controls are awful, and I'm a Nikon user. It's firmly aimed at beginners and you'll need to get good at diving through menus because it doesn't have the button controls of higher level cameras. I'd go for a D7100/D7200 if you can
I would opt for a used D7200 too, used my mate picked one up for only around £50 more than the D5300 body is new and is a significant upgrade. I was very impressed, it's pretty much a crop version of my D750 but much lighter.

Last edited:
This is a well worn discussion, but the comments above give most of the points.

Just remember that once you choose, it's very expensive to change, and I can't agree more with those who say go and try!!...at the end of the day it's the photographer not the equipment that matters, there's not much difference between the two makes.

George.

Lenses, lenses, lenses, do some research and see what lens system or specific lenses suit your needs then buy the appropriate body. Good lenses you will keep, the body you will replace in time.

Also get the bodies in your hands to see what you prefer ergonomically.

I've got a Pentax K30 and I'm looking to upgrade my equipment, the reason being is that I'm finding it hard to find accessorie's for the Pentax and I have been looking further afield.

I've been looking at the Canon EOS 750D, and the Nikon D5300. I'm a bit confused about which is the better one, I do landscapes and documenting and I don't know which one to choose. can you help me decide please?
icon_question.gif

Both come with 18-55m lenses.

Many thanks.

Hi Louise

It's a personal choice when looking for a new camera or more so when swapping systems. Personally I would recommend you have a play with both Canon and Nikon models and see which of the 2 feels the most natural in your hand / which buttons fall to be the most intuitive and look at the menu system etc - does one work better for you than the other ? I'd recommend Canon, but then this is what I have and have used...:D

Both Canon and Nikon have the pro's and con's - but they're going to be very similar in their capabilities.

Make sure you enjoy the process of swapping systems :)

To be honest the Nikon D5000 series controls are awful and I'm a Nikon user. It's firmly aimed at beginners and you'll need to get good at diving through menus because it doesn't have the button controls for setting ISO and other functions. I think it expects you to shoot in one of the auto modes. I'd go for a D7100/D7200 if you can, these are excellent and would be a better long term choice

One you have used either the D5*** or D3*** series you get to learn the short cuts. :) There still not great compared to the D7***. I have both a D7200 and D3300 and the D3300 always shocks me to how well the photos come out, its also much lighter the the D7200 as is the D5300

A lot of people say "see how it feels in your hand" but surely that's not the only consideration. It might be fine to see how a D5300 feels but after buying numerous lenses, upgrading to a bigger camera might be on the cards which will feel totally different.

I would go for things like...

-Menu ease of use
-Button locations
-Lens lineup
-Any friends using a particular system? (to borrow or swap lenses and advice)

And then buy the Nikon because they're just better :)

Go try them out don't settle for I will get used to it. Then pick the one you like

Toss a coin :)

A lot of people say "see how it feels in your hand" but surely that's not the only consideration. It might be fine to see how a D5300 feels but after buying numerous lenses, upgrading to a bigger camera might be on the cards which will feel totally different.

I would go for things like...

-Menu ease of use
-Button locations

-Lens lineup
-Any friends using a particular system? (to borrow or swap lenses and advice)

And then buy the Nikon because they're just better :)
But then this can change too with a camera upgrade, the layout of the D7200 for example is quite different to the D5300 ;) :p

Lens lineup can be important though.

But then this can change too with a camera upgrade, the layout of the D7200 for example is quite different to the D5300 ;) :p

Lens lineup can be important though.
True but there will be similarities with the buttons. There will be a toggle rather than a wheel and all of the feature names will still be the same. The settings menu will also be very similar throughout the range.

Simple...if you are an Apple user then the Nikon otherwise if you are a PC user then the Canon...

D7200 or 80D, if budget allows
failing that Nikon D5500

True but there will be similarities with the buttons. There will be a toggle rather than a wheel and all of the feature names will still be the same. The settings menu will also be very similar throughout the range.
Sorry, I was pulling your leg a little ;)

Well we've all tried to help but haven't heard anymore from the OP - wonder if she's bought one?

Back