Canon Pixma Pro 1

Buy it from wex. Same price plus you can get an extra 10% off with a code which is on the site.
Also if you are not happy with it they have a 30 day money back guarantee even if you have used it

Oh ok, lucky I managed to get one. That's a shame brilliant deal but it is a great deal even without the 10%

Got it in my basket.....Do I press buy? so tempting

As long as you have steady stream of images (min 1 / week) and A3 is enough for your needs then YES. Otherwise it is a very clear NO.

Isn't that what the self cleaning system is for?

I was worried about it clogging up but a lot of users reported this has never happened to them, despite months of inactivity.

The main issue is that is uses your expensive ink to clean the nozzles. By the time you come to print something, your ink is all gone.

The main issue is that is uses your expensive ink to clean the nozzles. By the time you come to print something, your ink is all gone.
Totally untrue. I have three Canon printers and very rarely had print issues. If the nozzles become blocked (which is rare) you can clean a single ink set rather than the whole bunch and there will be minimal ink loss unless you use the deep cleaning method (which I never have). If you have a serious clogging issue you can use isopropyl alcohol and water to clean the print heads but I have only had to do this on my imageprograf in the past.

The whole concept of "you must use your printer weekly so it doesn't dry out" is totally old fashioned, just use it as you wish to use it.

Totally untrue. I have three Canon printers and very rarely had print issues. If the nozzles become blocked (which is rare) you can clean a single ink set rather than the whole bunch and there will be minimal ink loss unless you use the deep cleaning method (which I never have). If you have a serious clogging issue you can use isopropyl alcohol and water to clean the print heads but I have only had to do this on my imageprograf in the past.

The whole concept of "you must use your printer weekly so it doesn't dry out" is totally old fashioned, just use it as you wish to use it.

Seems to be a number of people here that would disagree with you.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...t-printer/p1527850#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Seems to be a number of people here that would disagree with you.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...t-printer/p1527850#pr-header-back-to-top-link
Out of the few pages I went through there are only a few people mentioning heavy in usage and some of them still gave it 4 stars+.

The printer doesn't just do self-cleans after a period of being turned off, it also does it periodically after X amount of prints so even printing something once a week isn't going to totally solve that issue.

If you're worried about ink costs you could use compatible inks which is what I've been doing. That will bring the cost down considerably.

Out of the few pages I went through there are only a few people mentioning heavy in usage and some of them still gave it 4 stars+.

The printer doesn't just do self-cleans after a period of being turned off, it also does it periodically after X amount of prints so even printing something once a week isn't going to totally solve that issue.

If you're worried about ink costs you could use compatible inks which is what I've been doing. That will bring the cost down considerably.

Do you have a link to the compatible inks you use?

Apparently not setting the printer to 'best' helps a lot with ink usage too.

Surely that defeats the object of having an expensive photo printer. If you are going to use compatible inks you may as well buy a £60 printer from Currys.

Personally I don't have a photo printer. I just don't print enough and I'll send some over the DSCL whenever I need prints. Much more cost effective for low volume.

Do you have a link to the compatible inks you use?

Apparently not setting the printer to 'best' helps a lot with ink usage too.
I don't unfortunately. I'm using a Pro-100 personally and I buy my ink from here: http://www.precisioncolors.com/8tank.html however I just happened to notice that they don't have the kit for the Pro-1 yet. It may be worth contacting them for information though, they're very good.

Surely that defeats the object of having an expensive photo printer. If you are going to use compatible inks you may as well buy a £60 printer from Currys.

Personally I don't have a photo printer. I just don't print enough and I'll send some over the DSCL whenever I need prints. Much more cost effective for low volume.
In theory the cartridges for a £60 printer aren't going to be that much cheaper. There may be less of them.

You just have to try things for yourself and take the gamble to a certain extent. I've been printing images this way for years and have had no issues with print quality or anything mechanical.

Depends what you mean by compatible I think ... there are some that are superb such as the Marruutt and Lyson inks.

I don't unfortunately. I'm using a Pro-100 personally and I buy my ink from here: http://www.precisioncolors.com/8tank.html however I just happened to notice that they don't have the kit for the Pro-1 yet. It may be worth contacting them for information though, they're very good.

Pro 10 and 1 and also all ImagePRograph line use pigment based inks. 100 uses cheaper dye technology as found in cheaper inkjets. The implications are on the longevity of the prints as well as availability of 3rd party supplies. Low volume users like myself are better off using external suppliers for printing despite higher unit cost.

Pro 10 and 1 and also all ImagePRograph line use pigment based inks. 100 uses cheaper dye technology as found in cheaper inkjets. The implications are on the longevity of the prints as well as availability of 3rd party supplies. Low volume users like myself are better off using external suppliers for printing despite higher unit cost.
What is a low volume user?

Back