Canon R3

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I see canon announced some new lenses and an R version of the 1dx3.

Yes, they will be letting out details slowly to a launch before the Tokyo Olympics ????

Tis a shame I do not have a crystal ball as I would have held out for one.
There's nothing wrong with my R5 but by the time I'd bought a grip and second battery my guess is the costs between the two would be close.

I thought they said its between the R5 and 1DX MK 3.

I assume the R1 will be the 1DX MK 3 equivalent.

Tis a shame I do not have a crystal ball as I would have held out for one.
There's nothing wrong with my R5 but by the time I'd bought a grip and second battery my guess is the costs between the two would be close.

im guessing the R3 will be over £6k.

I thought they said its between the R5 and 1DX MK 3.

I assume the R1 will be the 1DX MK 3 equivalent.
You're probably right although the historically the built in vertical grip was only seen on 1 series cameras.
In truth, the thing that is appealing to me most is the high level of environmental sealing. I never feel confident that my R5 will survive inclement weather (should I be caught out in it)

Just looking at the new big white lenses, they appear to be the same as the EF versions but with the R mount fitted.
The 100 macro looks good though.

I see canon announced some new lenses and an R version of the 1dx3.
Isn’t this the long awaited digital EOS3? Eye AF and pro features that just fall short of an EOS1.

Wouldn’t we expect the 1dx mirrorless to be an R1?

I think the R3 is a stop gap measure until the R1 is fully developed. Canon has been sitting on a load of new tech for ages so the R1 is going to be something so far advanced that it will be a game changer. One thing we do know about Canon is that they like to thoroughly check and try their products before release especially as this is the flagship model.

This does look like a 1d mirroless though?
illogical though. :)

The mirrorless 1 series camera will surely be an R1? Canon aren't chucking away >20 years of brand building for no reason are they?

When digital arrived, the most awaited camera by long time Canon users was a digital 3 series. There was a lot of speculation that the 5d filled that gap (after all, the EOS3 was only an improved EOS5) - but for many it just wasn't quite there (it didn't have the speed). It seems to me to be totally logical that when Canon finally bring back eye controlled focus, that they badge it with a 3 - aiming squarely at the people waiting for a digital 3 series. Admittedly - the grip on the EOS original 3 was an addition, but most EOS 3 users used one.

I think the R3 is a stop gap measure until the R1 is fully developed. Canon has been sitting on a load of new tech for ages so the R1 is going to be something so far advanced that it will be a game changer. One thing we do know about Canon is that they like to thoroughly check and try their products before release especially as this is the flagship model.

That's incredibly optimistic, I hope you're right but based on what Canon has done in the past an incremental improvement seems far more likely.

If this is going to be even more expensive than R5, which costs like MF camera but is not one, - this is completely irrelevant and may not even exist for all I care.
TBF that simply means you’re not the target market.

From my very first foray into the world of photography, a T90 cost more than a med format SLR, and they sold in droves.

Back