Canon R6 3rd Party Battery not showing level?

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that manufacturers are getting fussier about 3rd party batteries, but I’ve not come across this issue before.

I recently moved to a Canon R6 and purchased a genuine Duracell LP-E6NH battery. I bought this one in particular because it’s a recognised name and also because it’s one of the few that will ship to Northern Ireland.

I get a ‘warning’ message when putting in in the camera which I totally expected, but I also don’t get any visibility of the batteries level on the camera. The battery indicator is just blank.

Is this now the norm? Or is it a an issue with this particular battery / brand?

I know people have differing opinions on 3rd party batteries but I’ve used them in most cameras without issue.

I’m loathe to shell out the £114 Canon are asking for the OEM one.

I remember reading that Canon would not support 3rd party lenses anymore on their newer model cameras, maybe they have pulled a "full Apple" and are not allowing other things as well, such as your battery?
I hope it! It still works but without a battery level it’s really not worth the hassle.

It also doesn’t indicate when it’s full in the charger either which doesn’t help.

I know that manufacturers are getting fussier about 3rd party batteries, but I’ve not come across this issue before.

I recently moved to a Canon R6 and purchased a genuine Duracell LP-E6NH battery. I bought this one in particular because it’s a recognised name and also because it’s one of the few that will ship to Northern Ireland.

I get a ‘warning’ message when putting in in the camera which I totally expected, but I also don’t get any visibility of the batteries level on the camera. The battery indicator is just blank.

Is this now the norm? Or is it a an issue with this particular battery / brand?

I know people have differing opinions on 3rd party batteries but I’ve used them in most cameras without issue.

I’m loathe to shell out the £114 Canon are asking for the OEM one.

Sounds like you have a dodgy battery.

I use Duracell batteries with no such problems on a R5. I can't see Canon doing something like that on the R6 and not the R5

I've never even had a message, they work just like the OEM one.

That’s a shame I use third party batteries in my R5 with no issues
they do show indication for battery power level and last nearly as long as the canon original one for a fraction of the price
it means that I can carry a few spares when I go away and not worry

That’s a shame I use third party batteries in my R5 with no issues
they do show indication for battery power level and last nearly as long as the canon original one for a fraction of the price
it means that I can carry a few spares when I go away and not worry
Can I ask what brand it is you use? As I said shipping to NI for batteries is a nightmare sometimes. Amazon for example just won’t send them at all!

Can I ask what brand it is you use? As I said shipping to NI for batteries is a nightmare sometimes. Amazon for example just won’t send them at all!
DSTE and also Ansmann
Both are good the DSTE came from Amazon but may be able to find them on eBay the Ansmann I bought at the photography show a few years ago

DSTE and also Ansmann
Both are good the DSTE came from Amazon but may be able to find them on eBay the Ansmann I bought at the photography show a few years ago
Awesome thanks. I’ve emailed Duracell to ask if it’s normal behaviour. If it turns out that it is then I’ll return it and try and hunt out some of these you’ve mentioned!

I get the warning with AC adapter dummy batteries. With normal third party batteries I’ve not seen it.

The Duracell camera batteries aren't actually manufactured by Duracell, they are a third party company who just license the name, I suspect they're nothing more than the random no-name Chinese batteries from Amazon with a reputable brand name stuck on them. When I shot Canon I did have a Duracell battery for my EOS 80D as my spare, it worked fine it was just a lower capacity than the Canon battery.

From the Duracell Direct website:

DuracellDirect is operated by the Duracell licensee: PSA Parts Ltd, the leading supplier of Batteries, Power Adapters and Chargers within Europe

Give Canon's recent ban on 3rd party lenses it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing something similar with batteries

Last edited:
Give Canon's recent ban on 3rd party lenses it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing something similar with batteries
It's not just recent - back when I had an EOS 50 (when they were "all the rage") Canon futzed with the camera firmware so that some third party lenses (that worked with earlier bodies) simply locked the camera solid and needed the battery popped to get it to work again.

Sigma at least offered a lens upgrade service to fix that - I seem to recall it cost something approaching half the list price of the lens (or it's replacement) though

Have you guys found using 3rd party batteries that all functions work correctly? I've read that the high speed shutter setting doesn't work sometimes on the R6.

Have you guys found using 3rd party batteries that all functions work correctly? I've read that the high speed shutter setting doesn't work sometimes on the R6.
With R5 and have noticed no issues with Patona batteries.

I now have 4 Canon DSLR cameras, and all have the double battery grips, the newest camera being a 90D ,and I have been using the BM (Big Mike Electronics) batteries bought through Amazon in all of these cameras, because they are advertised as being (decoded) and will work in my Canon Cameras without popping up a warning screen. The cameras display the battery charge levels too, and I keep several pairs of batteries of each type of these on hand as spares. The oldest of these batteries is now 3 years and 4 months old. I have not had a single one of these batteries give me any problem. They each work as good or better than the Canon version of the same battery, and they cost about 1/3 the price of the Canon version. I can buy 2 batteries and a USB charger for less than the cost of one Canon battery of the same type. I have looked for, but haven't found any other off brand batteries that behave like the original Canon batteries, except for this BM brand. Although I don't own a mirrorless Canon Camera "yet", I'm quite certain that when I do I will be buying the BM batteries for it. They just work as they should and last as long as the Canon OEM batteries or longer.

Charley

Back