Canon remote

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
I make images with a canon 1Div of almost exclusively wildlife,almost all HH. There are odd occassions though when I want to sit back,chill and trigger a prefocused lens on a tiny tripod remotely Mainly this is for me at home playing with me ickle mates in the garden to try and catch incoming to perches

I'm wondering what canon remotes might be suitable and also if they might be usable not only with my 1Div but also with later generations of camera body.

I'm sort of curious as to what options there are for remote triggering, I haven't really done my usual research this is a bit spur of the moment, it has to be said.

Cheers for any and all replies.in advance even if only to say go do ya homework lol

many thanks

stu

Not sure of your model, but because my 80d has wireless connectivity, it can be triggered remotely via the Canon IOS app.

You can adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO from the phone and tap the screen (which gives you live view) to focus on different areas if you like.

I've only used it once, but it proved pretty useful.

Other than that, there's a cheapo Canon remote that you just point at the camera and it will fire. This doesn't require wireless and worked with my old 600d. Though, from memory, I think it was infrared and so it only worked if you were in front of the camera pointing it at the sensor.

Finally, there's the wired shutter release cable.

Last edited:
@Stuart Philpott
I went over to Fuji from Canon three or four years ago, but the other night whilst clearing out a bag came across a little wireless remote.
It has the leads for both types of jack that Canon use, its one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Wireless-Remote-Control-Release-ca-1/dp/B001CSNU10
it was used with a 5D which has the square type connector and a 400D which has the 2.5mm jack

Still works well, I was good and had taken the batteries out, if you are interested let me know and i'll stick it on the classifieds for not much moolah

Last edited:
Chris Kell Chris ,cheers guys ,thanks so much for your time. I am a bit technology challenged guys.I hate even having a mobile jeepers i'm sat in a wood in me hols for god sake and me boss rings me up,I hate the damn thing, so as well as being primitive;) ,i'm maybe one of the few in blighty that doesn't have the sophistication required to use an app thingy or probably the ability to work it if i'm brutally honest.

I do have a mobile,i'm simply forced to because of my work. I think my old phone is powered by mice on a wheel,so sadly Kell and Rich these options are probably not available to me ,I do appreciate your time and kindness though guys, I will look in more depth though at your suggestions At some stage my means to talk to my lass and tell her I'm safe might fa.l Or simply I will drop it again and it won't cope with being put back together.:(

Rich, mate, spare me a couple of days please bro.,I wouldn't want to waste your time, I'm an absolute basket case with grafting too much,it's properly harsh at the moment , it's good ,but harsh!! , within what I do . I asked for ideas, because I simply don't know what is available ,didn't bank on an offer,cheers bro very kind.:cool: I need a tool Rich,this looks right for what I want I need,I think I've got the mini jack in the 1Div but need to be sure on that;)

cheers guys very kind ,THANKS all :)

stu

Chris Kell Chris ,cheers guys ,thanks so much for your time. I am a bit technology challenged guys.I hate even having a mobile jeepers i'm sat in a wood in me hols for god sake and me boss rings me up,I hate the damn thing, so as well as being primitive;) ,i'm maybe one of the few in blighty that doesn't have the sophistication required to use an app thingy or probably the ability to work it if i'm brutally honest.

I do have a mobile,i'm simply forced to because of my work. I think my old phone is powered by mice on a wheel,so sadly Kell and Rich these options are probably not available to me ,I do appreciate your time and kindness though guys, I will look in more depth though at your suggestions At some stage my means to talk to my lass and tell her I'm safe might fa.l Or simply I will drop it again and it won't cope with being put back together.:(

Rich, mate, spare me a couple of days please bro.,I wouldn't want to waste your time, I'm an absolute basket case with grafting too much,it's properly harsh at the moment , it's good ,but harsh!! , within what I do . I asked for ideas, because I simply don't know what is available ,didn't bank on an offer,cheers bro very kind.:cool: I need a tool Rich,this looks right for what I want I need,I think I've got the mini jack in the 1Div but need to be sure on that;)

cheers guys very kind ,THANKS all :)

stu

No probs Stu, I believe the 1D4 has the square N3 connection, in fact pretty certain it has, I have the lead for that too because it was the same on my 5D mkII
If you fancy it let me know and i'll bung it on the classifieds, it ain't going anywhere, after all been sat in a bag for three years

Cheers
Rich

Does the 1d4 have LAN?

I use a 60ft LAN cable to tether my idx2 to a MacBook.

Tony , I don't think so and would rather wireless than a cable,but let me check properly. cheers for the help bro,I'm not discounting anything at this time !!

Rich cheers for baring with me,I'm still playing catch up!!! I have a round N3 connection point the manual seems to indicate a small lead?? So is there an adaption lead from that mini jack to the N3 ?? You are indicating there is one for the square N3 so maybe for round aswell.i'll have a dig mate

cheers muchly both:)
stu

Rich P,( mate I need a first name I'll just misspell that ploddy word for ever which is disrepectful to a guy helping me,I've already just gone back and corrected ploddy UGG which was meant to be a smiley thing). guys I still see a square thingy and a round hole,buuuut

I have barely stopped and ain't looked a hell of alot:oops: :$ So, I've simply popped by to say cheers lads THANK YOU:) more out of manners than much else. I'm frankly almost at the

P;) one end is a stereo/balanced (call it what ya like) mini jack the other N3 but yours looks SQ also.................. I've been staring at both sets of links and simply am struggling to decipher round from square,:( But yes for the mo I want press button take piccy,me not by camera. It's sort of funny really 'cause I so oft come home swearing at a beastie cause it came too close when I'm behind the damn thing

thanks guys

stu

Would a genuine RC-6 work with your camera body? ;)

I'm unsure Lee : http://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/remotes/canonrc6.html

but more than that I make wildlife images, well you know that already first line opening post,so being in front of the camera is not ideal for my uses , carrying a mirror and setting that up in the field to bounce an IR beam, also looks to be a PITA. So yeah although I genuinely am brain dead at the mo and honestly might have missed sommit,it don't look to be the right tool for the job for my uses..

Lee educate me if i've missed something,I'm all ears bro :)

stu

Hi Stu,
Hope that you are well. I have used a cheap remote (similar to Tijuana taxi) with my 7D2 and 5D4 which has the 'N3' connection (3 little holes). Dead easy to use, only pain is that it needs two different batteries. They are very common on ebay / amazon. I could not find the order history so cannot give you model details but can send photo if that is required. Mine cost about £14. Cheers

Hey john,too long no speak bro,same as:): I not only hope your good but you are now moved and settled. Ha ha I'm good mate:) but damn I'm grafting some hours,so I get to this stage of the day and have nowt left . LMAO just in left before 7. But grafting out new camera body bro so no complaints:cool: I am seriously too old for this though !!

Anyway mate,yes N3 3 little pins round hole around 'em on my 1Div.....can you tell me please, John, what shape of hole there is surrounding said pins on your bodies mate

If I'm still alive on sat I might get a good look at all this,cheers for the patience lads

stu

Stu,
I have attached a coupleof photos that shows teh systemattached to a 7D mkii with separate transmitter. there is also a close up of the male / female connectors, hope it meets your needs. Moved into our house middle of may, love teh peace & quiet, only disappointment so far is that the house martins are not using our house. May be in touch to get some tips on hares - seem to have some in the field in the backas long as the farmer is a crap shot!
take care!IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1115.JPG

Ahh John I'm so chuffed for you,we are very lucky in only having 3 neighbours,I can barely cope with the racket in towns now. So I really understand what you mean by peace and quiet.

Buddy re hares,i'm not expert bro ,but if there is anything at all I can do to help shout mate and also all the luck with them. Some farmers love having them some don't want them at all which ever way you need to make that guy your friend and grab access to his(now yours lmao) land. Once I'd managed a half decent frame I took a print over to our landowner,he was thrilled to bits,ha ha the gamekeeper then had to have one.;) They love having us about,as we keep an eye on things John, we always shout if sheep are out or we see something not right consequently, they like having us there. He he there's your first tip make some friends:D

John thanks for the pics,very kind as always,yup that's it,hopefully Rich will see this and confirm the same N3 connector .

Thank you mate,thank god it's friday ( OOORRRAAAA) Have a wonderful weekend

stu

That's the one Stu, the remote I have comes with the mini jack lead and another lead with the one with three little holes.
It worked fine with my 5D MkII which had exactly the same connection.

That's the one Stu, the remote I have comes with the mini jack lead and another lead with the one with three little holes.
It worked fine with my 5D MkII which had exactly the same connection.

Hey Rich,brill would you be so kind as to pop an add up for me and I'll make a purchase and give it a whirl please.

Rich, especially, and every one else thank you so much for your patience. and help getting me here. I really want a new body (silly expensive) and am grafting me butt off on building sites doing silly hours to grab the extra pennies to try and make my little dream possible. Through the week there is nowt left of me when I get home. So I feel a bit of a "cock":oops: :$ agonising over something as trivial as a remote. It is how it is guys ,but there is no harm in me taking a few moments to write out how much I genuinely appreciate,the efforts and words above for you 'orrible lot:D,to get me sorted.

Thanks very much indeed guys, I really mean that !!

stu

No problem Stu, will stick a for sale thread up and tag you in it.

Always nice to get appreciation for ones efforts, so thanks very much for the kind words and hope it does the job.

It has four channels, just make sure you set the same one on transmitter and receiver, little switches are on the front

Cheers
Rich

Last edited:
Back