Canon - Upgrade advice please ?

Tony can I ask you where and what type of cards you use in your 7d2 .My order will arrive hopefully tomorrow so want to be ready to go play.Also do you stick to Canon batteries and where is best place to purchase?

If you've gone for the 7D2 for the high-speed, get the fastest cards you can afford.

Not sure how available they are these days but I find the Lexar 1000x/1066x 32GB CF cards great in my 7D2 and 1DX. For the SD slot in my 7D2 I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s card.

My 7D2 is set to 9 fps and the above Sandisk card has yet to slow up - even when I get a little over excited! It gives 35+ raw files before slowing and the buffer clears in a few seconds - naturally the best CF cards are faster but is it necessary for your needs?

My 7D2 is set to 9 fps and the above Sandisk card has yet to slow up - even when I get a little over excited! It gives 35+ raw files before slowing and the buffer clears in a few seconds - naturally the best CF cards are faster but is it necessary for your needs?

John thank you. Never had two slots before and I have no idea if I really need CF cards. It will be used for some wildlife shots mailny birds right now but I am hoping to try out some sports shots too. :)

If I recall correctly all dual slot Canon bodies that are CF and SD are speed restricted to the slowest slot write speed......this is the SD slot.

In other words you can put the fastest available/affordable CF in but if there is an SD card of any speed the CF write speed is throttled.

IMO the 5D mkiii is an easy decision over the 7d mkii. For me the camera was just noisy and low light performance was shocking.

In good light, up to about 800 iso its an awesome piece of kit, but when you push it further it falls down very quickly.

Wasn't there/isn't there a review type website that tested memory cards on popular DSLRs and rated the fastest ones for particular cameras?

Tony can I ask you where and what type of cards you use in your 7d2 .My order will arrive hopefully tomorrow so want to be ready to go play.Also do you stick to Canon batteries and where is best place to purchase?
I'm using this. Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB Compact Flash 160MB/s UDMA 7.
I use the sd card slot for the wifi card.

I only use canon batteries. In truth there is very little difference in price when buying in the high street.
I don't think I've ever flattened a battery in a day either.

Are you getting the vertical grip for the camera?

I'm using lexar in the 7d2. My other bodies use sandisk and I cant tell the difference in quality, I'll be buying lexar next too from amazon. I use a fast sd card and write to that and only use the cf as a backup if needed or as overflow when I'm away on holiday.

Batteries, I've stuck to canon but recently have tried duracell from Amazon. They work perfectly! you may lose a few shots but they're only £13 each, not £60+ for canon 'n' versions.

Well, I'm A Tony, just not The Tony.

I use Canon and Duracell batteries in my 7d2. Never had any issue with the Duracell's, although they're not the high capacity battery you get with the 7d2, they still last a comfortable amount of time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004N7K7FO

Sadly, it's not possible to buy the Compact Flash cards I use with my 7d2 any more, and it looks like Compact Flash is on the way out (hard to find large capacity cards now). But these are able to keep up with the full burst rate on the 7d2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042VSU00

So something like that will work fine. I shoot RAW to the CF Card, and JPG to the SD slot, any fast SD card will work.

I'm using this. Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB Compact Flash 160MB/s UDMA 7.
I use the sd card slot for the wifi card.

I only use canon batteries. In truth there is very little difference in price when buying in the high street.
I don't think I've ever flattened a battery in a day either.

Are you getting the vertical grip for the camera?

I would like to get that next :)

I would like to get that next :)
After the first time I used one I can no longer go without.
Twice the battery life and no need for contortions when vertical holding.
The option to use AA cells is also a plus, not that I've ever done it.

Win Win again.

That said, the 7d2 grip is expensive.

My nice new camera arrived today and I am so excited to see how I get on with it. Did run out for an hour tonight but truth is not up on the settings yet but I will get there.Took a few bird shots and I am so pleased. The reach with my 150-600 is amazing!. Thank you everyone could not have decided without all the help given. Off to post one of the images to the bird section. Cathy.

Congratulations on your new toy - enjoy!

Going back to what I was saying about cards, my Lexar 1000x CF cards are faster than my Sandisk SD card in the 7D2 - the CF cards give 10+ extra frames before it slows. Having said that the Sandisk 95 MB/s SD card has fulfilled my needs so far.

If you do decide to get a vertical/battery grip then I highly recommend Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeable cells. They are a bit heavier but considerably outperform my Canon and non Canon LP-E6 (n) batteries. They can be a bit more fiddly to charge though.

It may not be the camera that is the issue. My 150-600 C is not as fast to AF as some of my other lenses.

My nice new camera arrived today and I am so excited to see how I get on with it. Did run out for an hour tonight but truth is not up on the settings yet but I will get there.Took a few bird shots and I am so pleased. The reach with my 150-600 is amazing!. Thank you everyone could not have decided without all the help given. Off to post one of the images to the bird section. Cathy.
The extra reach is exactly why I bought one.
I can't afford £10k for a big white lens.

Wat do you mean by 'grey' please Phil?

If something is purchased from an alternative channel (not from a UK supplier who bought from Canon UK) it’s described as ‘grey market’, as in ‘not quite black market’.

There’s pros and cons, with some people believing it’s the best way to buy gear and others believing it’s tax evasion and killing the UK camera trade.

Back