Canon - Upgrade advice please ?

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I need to ask if an upgrade from my Canon 6D to a Canon EOS Mark III is a wise choice? or is there something else I should be looking at ? Should I be considering the new Canon 6D mark II my heart keeps saying no to this one as I m not sure I would like the pull out screen. HELP!! What is your thoughts .I shoot a bit of everything as photography is my hobby.
Cathy

I had a 6D & loved it. Preferred it to the Nikon D750 I had before.

Personally I wouldn't swap it for a mk3.

mk4 yes.

6D mk2 is a little underwhelming by the reviews I've read.

If you're heavily invested in Canon glass stick with the 6D.

Why do you think you need to upgrade?

What's the 6D failing at or how is it holding you back?

The answer is down to you.
The 6dII has the WiFi and flip out screen
The 5dIII has dual card slots and a heftier build, no touchscreen, no WiFi, no gps.
They both have improved AF.

Do you need faster focus, faster FPS, pro-quality build and full weatherproofing, 2 card slots, plus a few other bells and whistles? If not then I doubt you'll gain anything noticeable in terms of image quality (6D high ISO performance is reputedly slightly better than a 5D III) by swapping to a 5DIII, unless your style of photography would benefit from 61 AF points and increased focus speed, etc.? But then again, I seem to remember reading that in low light the central AF point on the 6D works better than the 5D III, and the 5D III is bigger and heavier.

I'm waiting until used 5D IVs or 5D SRs get more affordable before I jump from my 6D, as I believe it's all too easy to get drawn in by 'spec' top trumps and end up spending money on twice as many 'upgrade' jumps as necessary.

Last edited:
I have been taking a lot of bird photography and I find when I am doing birds in flight I feel I dont have enough focus points and the 6D can be slow to focus. Realy want more focus points.

5D mkIII is a great allrounder. I've got a couple and they serve me extremely well. The body size is much nicer than the 6D, unless you have small hands.

If you can pay more then obviously a 5D IV or 5Ds R (depending if you need ultra high resolution but slower camera) would make better sense.

But obviously you need to ask the question first if you really need to upgrade at all!

A mint 5d mk 3 with extremely low use at a good price would be a good buy in general IMO.
It will hold its value stupidly well for years and I would have much rather have one than a 6d.
However the images will look pretty much identical as far as I know. The AF system is the main upgrade with it.
The 6d mk 2 I'm not sure, probably very good cameras even though people bash them a fair bit.

Have you thought about a crop sensor, more reach, cheaper. Unless you’re going to shoot at above iso 800 then it maybe an alternative. Look at the 80D or 7Dmkii.

As others have advised - there's nothing quite like handling the cameras in the flesh.
In particular, the 5d mkiii makes any bulky/heavy lens easier to handle.

Last edited:
If you ever see me, when you are out taking pictures, around Ayrshire and would like to see, what a 5D is like to hold and have a shot at, please feel free to ask,, i use mine for a bit of everything..

If you ever see me, when you are out taking pictures, around Ayrshire and would like to see, what a 5D is like to hold and have a shot at, please feel free to ask,, i use mine for a bit of everything..

Thanks Paul I am out most days and I am using a Sigma Contemporary 150-600mm with my 6D which I manage well and do love this lens. However the focus on my 6D is not the best for trying flight photography. I use my camera for a little of everything so need an all rounder , Just cant decide what lol

Do you have a budget in mind? Might help narrow the options :)

As has been said, I'd seriously consider keeping the 6D and get a second hand 7Dii and you will have money over for another lens :). The crop sensor on the 7D gives you more reach for birds and two bodies is always better than one

You might even be able to get a 1DX for that price, I’m sure one went on here not long ago for around 2k

Last edited:
Thinking around the £2000 mark or less if I can so I know i may need to buy second hand.

You are in 1DX territory at that price! Forget the rest just look for a nice used 1DX - the AF is something else especially with larger lenses on moving subjects. Probably why I bough one:)

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the comments and advice :) Now I just have to decide which ones to go for .

Even if I had the money the 1D series is too heavy and cumbersome for me.

You really want to handle all cameras mentioned, put your lens on them. the size of the 1series and weight might not be for you,conversely you might find the balance with the siggy works better for you. with a 1series brick(sorry body)

The AF is such a big deal for BIF,I really think the only way one can assess how suitable that AF AF's is by trying some camera bodies physically.

Cathy bodies loose value,because they are replaced by the new latest greatest so frequently, so second hand does open options. with 2K my deliberations would be 5div or 1dx,but that means little to you. Just remember that the one series really are built like a tank,for a pro to use and get his/her image in what ever conditions,they really are built to last,I use a much older 1Div,in good light it's

Cathy,my biggest and only real reason to post here is to encourage you to get hands on before you buy , you might adore a 1 series it might be too heavy,too big,only you can tell that,you need to try them mate,I'd go to a good shop like LCE,you could probably arrange to try most of the bodies mentioned here second hand and new(I'm sure they'll get them moved to a store of choice if needed and see what you really feel suits you best

all the luck

stu

The 1D series are certainly big lumps and designed for largish hands. Having said that the ergonomics and custom controls available negate all of this (except the weight!).

Stuart is quite right you really need to handle the cameras first! I am a big fan of 1 series cameras but they are not for everyone - but once you have thoroughly tried one I don't think you will need anymore convincing;)

The 1D series are certainly big lumps and designed for largish hands. ;)

John you are both right and I will need to have a look at them as I have very small hands and it took me a long time to get to the stage where I could hand hold my 6D with the Sigma 150-600 attached my muscles are stronger now and I dont notice it much.However I also have my tripod with Gimbal head and foth my camera and lens it was heavy for me so now bring along a cheap monopod to hold some of the weight.

John you are both right and I will need to have a look at them as I have very small hands and it took me a long time to get to the stage where I could hand hold my 6D with the Sigma 150-600 attached my muscles are stronger now and I dont notice it much.However I also have my tripod with Gimbal head and foth my camera and lens it was heavy for me so now bring along a cheap monopod to hold some of the weight.

Unfortunately I have big feet and small hands - not ideal for a photographer! The 1 series cameras take a bit of getting used to but they are well worth a try. I love them but you need an extensive play with one before you make any decisions.

Happy hunting!

A mint 5d mk 3 with extremely low use at a good price would be a good buy in general IMO.
It will hold its value stupidly well for years and I would have much rather have one than a 6d.
However the images will look pretty much identical as far as I know. The AF system is the main upgrade with it.
The 6d mk 2 I'm not sure, probably very good cameras even though people bash them a fair bit.

I was looking at one that the shutter count was just over 6000 which was going for the £15000 thats what started all this off lol Still going to have a hands on with all the ones mentioned but there is also the option as said that I may hold onto the 6D and get the Canon 7D mark II

I was looking at one that the shutter count was just over 6000 which was going for the £15000 thats what started all this off lol Still going to have a hands on with all the ones mentioned but there is also the option as said that I may hold onto the 6D and get the Canon 7D mark II

£1500 used ? That's well overpriced in my opinion. I seen one the other day for £800 delivered next day with 55,000 shutter count which is still quite low really. There is no depends when they will go wrong, it could be 10 thousand or it could be hundreds of thousands.

£1500 used ? That's well overpriced in my opinion. I seen one the other day for £800 delivered next day with 55,000 shutter count which is still quite low really. There is no depends when they will go wrong, it could be 10 thousand or it could be hundreds of thousands.

Gosh and I was thinking because it only had 6 thousand it would be like nearly new. You are right though there are no guarantees:)

A 5D Mark III will hover around the £1000 mark for a lowish shutter count one. 5D MKIV is £1980 just now on panamoz and about as new as it gets with canon. All the bells and whistles. Or look at crop, a 7DII would be useful or a used 1DIV may be too big on the hands and heavy but that has a 1.3 crop vs the 1.6 of the 7DII and will be faster than the 7DII to lock on to anything.

Personally Id go with a 5DIV, it can shoot anything in the right hands and its the newer tech and better resolution. Plus the image quality is equal with the 1DXII (I know, I have them both)

7D2 with 100-400 Mk2 makes a good and very manageable BIF'ing machine.

Edit: or 400/5.6 L?

Last edited:
I may hold onto the 6D and get the Canon 7D mark II
Win win with these two.
I have a 7d2 to compliment my 1dx2.
The biggest downside of the 7d2 (for me) is how quickly noise becomes apparent as the iso increases. Still pretty good to iso 800 though.

Last edited:
For now I decided to get the Canon 7DII to sit along with my canon 6D.Ordered it yesterday from Panamoz and looking forward to trying it out. I will keep them for two years and then maybe look at a lighter mirrorless system depending on what is available then.Thank you all for your help and advice it meant a lot :)

Win win with these two.
I have a 7d2 to compliment my 1dx2.
The biggest downside of the 7d2 (for me) is how quickly noise becomes apparent as the iso increases. Still pretty good to iso 800 though.

Tony can I ask you where and what type of cards you use in your 7d2 .My order will arrive hopefully tomorrow so want to be ready to go play.Also do you stick to Canon batteries and where is best place to purchase?

Back