Cant save in JPEG with CS3

Edit My Images
Yes
I have tried to find why I don't have the option to save a photo that I edit in jpeg format.

The only way i can save it as jpeg is to run a script to create the jpeg but I'm sure there must be a way to do it directly in cs3

Any ideas because i'm tired of :bang: with it....

and why is C.O.Z (with out the full stops) changed to ***, is there a secret mission to stamp out text speak and improve everyone's grammar?:cautious:

Save for web ?

Menu-File-save for web and devices

From Memory you need to flatten the image?? In the layer option.

However this could well be one of those dodgey recolections! :)
Give it a go.

I would imagine its because you are in 16 bit mode.

go to image mode... and make it 8 bit... then you should be able to save as jpg.

Ok save to web works, but is there not a direct option in the save as dialog?

first off, flatten, then make sure the image is in Image > Mode > RGB, and Image > Mode > 8 Bit.

first off, flatten, then make sure the image is in Image > Mode > RGB, and Image > Mode > 8 Bit.

:clap: That was the problem, I had it on 16 bit.

So curiosity now asks what the difference between 8, 16 & 32 bit is???

Thanks again

Not sure if this is true but i think that a 16 bit file opposed to an 8 bit file will contain more information. ie colors. This will make the image closer to the orginal picture you took through the camera.
I suppose its the same as your pc's color qaulity. If you have ever changed the settings from 8 bit to say 32 bit you will have greater colors to play with giving you a better visible image on screen.

Thanks for the explanation, so would it be best to do all the editing in a higher bit rate and then converting at the last minute, or is that a pointless waste of time and I'm guessing hard drive space?

I would just work at 8 bit all the way through. Are you shooting Jpeg or RAW? Your files will be 8/12 bit anyway - no point in going higher if your final output is Jpeg

I would just work at 8 bit all the way through. Are you shooting Jpeg or RAW? Your files will be 8/12 bit anyway - no point in going higher if your final output is Jpeg

I tend to shoot 50/50 Raw or JPEG depends on what I'm doing...

But at the moment my photography skills are some what lacking so I generally keep them in jpeg to save hard drive space.

But if I was editing a RAW file to keep, whats the best bit rate to work with if I wanted to save it to a lossless format?

I do all my corrections in 16 bit, then convert to 8 bit for the final output (web) image.
Any TIFFS that I store (IE the processed image) stay in 16 bit.

I shoot in RAW too, exporting to a 16 bit TIFF (uncompressed), saving that as a layered TIFF as I go.

:clap: That was the problem, I had it on 16 bit.

Thanks again

32 Bit is used when creating HDR images - but you obviously have to down-scale to 8 bit to save in JPG for posting on the web etc. Not sure about the exact technical stuff about this but I'm sure someone here can expand if required?

I was going to attempt to explain it, but then stumbled across this that explains things much better than I could!

I always shoot in RAW and keep a 16 bit TIFF of my images. If I want to display on the web, I create a Jpeg from it. I then still have the option to create prints from the TIFF if need be.

I was going to attempt to explain it, but then stumbled across this that explains things much better than I could!

I always shoot in RAW and keep a 16 bit TIFF of my images. If I want to display on the web, I create a Jpeg from it. I then still have the option to create prints from the TIFF if need be.

Great linky thanks (y)

Brilliant, just what the doc ordered (y)

Back