canvas printing help..

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
This has probably been asked a million times but I'm needing some help with how to go about getting a canvas printed.

My mum has asked for one for her xmas off my two girls I've taken the images and got them ready to be sent for printing with TCP but I'm unsure exactly how to have the file in regards to sizes etc.

Loxly said to size it to the size of canvas on there website and was looking at getting a 24x16 canvas made.

Exporting the image at this size seems to make it slightly more pixilated,the file comes out at 7190 × 4800. Where as if i export to full size its comes out at only 4943 × 3300. all via light room

I'm using a d750 and thought it would have happily printed larger than this and as this is my first time doing this or really looking into I'm bit frown by it all.

am i doing something wrong here or is it meant to be as it should.

thanks peter

Last edited:
Don't worry about your file size just send the largest un interpolated file you have and the printer will sort it out when printing the canvas.

Printed canvas is a lot more forgiving than a glossy print or staring at monitor image at 100% when looking at small details.

I'm sure you will be very pleased with your canvas when it returns, only caveat being your monitor must be somewhere near a decent calibration or you could be disappointed with the colour/brightness.

HTH

David

I'm using a d750 and thought it would have happily printed larger than this and as this is my first time doing this or really looking into I'm bit frown by it all.

It is a 24 megapixel camera ... it won't print what you want at 300DPI as it does not have enough pixels ... 300 DPI being AFAIK the standard for printing. You could print at 200 DPI or interpolate pixels or ... vs a degrading quality. The canvas print will also degrade the quality so it may be easier (or not) to hide the lower number of pixels you can use. Printing at 7Kx4K you are looking for 36megapixels :-( Sorry I am not of much help.

5D3_4905_1500 by David Williams, on Flickr

The picture on the wall here is almost 1.3 metres wide - a 4 shot stitched pan that ended up at 8498 pixels wide.

The detail is amazing, - if i'd realised I wouldn't have earmarked it for quite such a high up location.

Unless you are going to stand with your nose on the canvas to view it all the time whatever you send will be fine, especially if the picture is nice and sharp to start with.

D

Last edited:
It is a 24 megapixel camera ... it won't print what you want at 300DPI as it does not have enough pixels ... 300 DPI being AFAIK the standard for printing. You could print at 200 DPI or interpolate pixels or ... vs a degrading quality. The canvas print will also degrade the quality so it may be easier (or not) to hide the lower number of pixels you can use. Printing at 7Kx4K you are looking for 36megapixels :-( Sorry I am not of much help.

You don't need anywhere near 300dpi for a large canvas print

D

Just email Ben at Trade canvas print. He will tell you what is needed. He replies real quick, on the occasions I have ordered. Apart from the great end product the reason I use them is that you get a personal service from Ben. Send him the file he will tell you what can be done.

Gaz

Just email Ben at Trade canvas print. He will tell you what is needed. He replies real quick, on the occasions I have ordered. Apart from the great end product the reason I use them is that you get a personal service from Ben. Send him the file he will tell you what can be done.

Gaz
The big canvas in the above picture came from Trade Canvas - highly recommended

D

Back