Capacitor replacement

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
I think my beloved Minolta X500 is starting to experience failure of the capacitor.

Had some issues this morning where it wouldn't take a shot, despite the power being on and the winder being wound.

Went to the camera shop near work and they said they could do it for £150, but couldn't give me a timeframe.

Seemed excessively expensive to me. And certainly it would be just as cheap (if not cheaper) to buy a new body.

But I've had this over 35 years so I'd like to get it fixed.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does this sort of thing via post? Or if not anywhere near High Wycombe? I'm going to sound out a few places, but it would be great to get a recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Admittedly I have an electronics background, but it doesn't look like an impossible job for a DIY'er.
Lidl were doing a rechargeable cordless soldering iron recently that would probably do, if the X500 is similar in layout to the X370 video I just watched.
The only thing thing to take care with is that electrolytic capacitors are polarised and you must refit the new capacitor the same way as the old one is removed.
Various places you can source the caps from cpcfarnell or rswww.com
Further info here https://www.paulbeesley.com/posts/2017/12/minolta-capacitor-replacement/

Admittedly I have an electronics background, but it doesn't look like an impossible job for a DIY'er.
Lidl were doing a rechargeable cordless soldering iron recently that would probably do, if the X500 is similar in layout to the X370 video I just watched.
The only thing thing to take care with is that electrolytic capacitors are polarised and you must refit the new capacitor the same way as the old one is removed.
Various places you can source the caps from cpcfarnell or rswww.com
Further info here https://www.paulbeesley.com/posts/2017/12/minolta-capacitor-replacement/
From that link, it may also be worth looking for a suitable SMD capacitor if it is hard to find, though I don't see how it could be :)

£150 for that? Someone's having a laugh!

Only point for a DIY repair is as mentioned in the link, use a lead based solder, not the lead-free junk :)

There are YouTube videos showing these, don't look too hard to get at or replace

If it's the little capacitor in the base of the camera they are having a laugh. They are about £3.00 on eBay. All you need is someone with a soldering iron to replace it.

Soldering isn't difficult, but does need care and a degree of precision - guitar amp builder talking, although I have repaired consumer electronics too. The bit you're paying for is the time it takes to strip an reassemble correctly plus the experience to make sure the camera works again afterwards.

From that link, it may also be worth looking for a suitable SMD capacitor if it is hard to find, though I don't see how it could be :)

£150 for that? Someone's having a laugh!

Only point for a DIY repair is as mentioned in the link, use a lead based solder, not the lead-free junk :)
It is actually called something like they don't want the job.

How easy is it to get the base off the camera? Some have a few small screws. The soldering is easy enough, you can practice on any old bit of wire before doing the actual job. Most capacitors only have 2 contacts, thats two blobs of solder (and unsolder the old one)

That advert is making me feel my age.

I remember buying those miniature capacitors, at a shop round the back of Totenham Court Road, for 3d or less! :wideyed:
I doubt if they are much more now, look on cpc or rsonline.
I buy resistors and capacitors in 1000s or 100s and they cost pennies.
Though I would buy a high quality branded make for this purpose.

Edit

CPC is 8p each :)

Last edited:
If its a 2-3 hour job to strip down, solder, rebuild and then test, 150 works out at about 50-75 pound per hour which is no different to what you would pay to get a car fixed in most independent garages. Personally I would DIY it. Cheap soldering iron from Amazon and a pack of capacitors from RS or Farnell and it will be good.

If its a 2-3 hour job to strip down, solder, rebuild and then test, 150 works out at about 50-75 pound per hour which is no different to what you would pay to get a car fixed in most independent garages. Personally I would DIY it. Cheap soldering iron from Amazon and a pack of capacitors from RS or Farnell and it will be good.
Looking at the link above, it looks more like 10 minutes or 30 if you really take your time.

A desoldering tool or strip of desoldering tape is worth having, although you might be able to just pull the dead cap away from its seat without one.

I got a kit similar to this a few years ago and its been used several times for fixing things such as xbox remotes etc. to good effect. Desoldering tool isn't awesome in it, but it does the job :)

Amazon link

I got a kit similar to this a few years ago and its been used several times for fixing things such as xbox remotes etc. to good effect. Desoldering tool isn't awesome in it, but it does the job :)

Amazon link
That looks perfectly useable, standard tips too.
400C and lead based solder, and use the iron quickly :)

Bearing in mind I'm no expert from the links I've watched already, it's four screws to get the bottom off and then the capacitor is right there.

The X700 has two so is way more problematic.

Maybe I was just surprised at that quote as the amounts I could find online for people saying they'd had this done were in the $20-30 range.

I'll see how I get on with it as it stands as it's sporadic atm.

But thanks for the links to the soldering irons. If and when it does eventually fail, I might have to give it a go as it's definitely cheaper to just buy another camera body.

Yes, I've just googled it and it does look incredibly straight forward. I would have said I would do it for you (and certainly not for £150!) however you are pretty much at the wrong end of the country to make that worth while.

Back