Beginner Capture fast river

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm up in Yorkshire amongst some fast flowing rivers and was wanting to try and capture some of of creamy river/waterfall shots! Is there a tutorial on here to help! Have taken a couple which don't look to bad but not sure on the basics!! :)

Tripod, long exposure, low ISO, remote release. Aperture at f8, 11 or smaller (but not too small- problems with diffraction)
If the light is too strong use a neutral density filter, or a polariser if you don't have one.
Experiment.

Simple as that.

Don't forget to compose the shot so it is interesting.
The effect does not compensate for poor composition.

Good pic, good lighting and composition...

Follow the advice above, in order to get this immature yearning out of your system. Then having paid your dues, revert to normal shots that shun artifice and convey something of the real world as we intuitively apprehend it. The much-admired 10-stop nd filter is rather like a typewriter (remember them? - they were contemporary with film cameras), in that using one won't make you a novelist or a poet. Think on it.

The same applies to hdr and many other tricks ....

Just because it's possible, doesn't make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Follow the advice above, in order to get this immature yearning out of your system. Then having paid your dues, revert to normal shots that shun artifice and convey something of the real world as we intuitively apprehend it. The much-admired 10-stop nd filter is rather like a typewriter (remember them? - they were contemporary with film cameras), in that using one won't make you a novelist or a poet. Think on it.

I disagree - Yes some things can be "artistic decisions" however if you are shooting for yourself who cares - so long as you are happy with your images.
Some techniques, including HDR expand your photography options and allow you to capture images that you normally could not.
Personally I do not like "over the top" HDR, howver when it is done subtley I feel it is OK and can get you out of a jam.

#1 this is a HDR image - shot very late .in the afternoon, near sundown..
Macquarie University library. by Richard Taylor, on Flickr

#2 This was shot mid summer, and mid morning, on a totally cloudless day. Lots of contrast in this scene HDR handled it OK
Morning walk with Nana and daddy by Richard Taylor, on Flickr

That's a rather pompus answer to somebody who is asking a question, especially to somebody who is a beginner. You may not like these type of shots but others do...

The much-admired 10-stop nd filter is rather like a typewriter (remember them? - they were contemporary with film cameras), in that using one won't make you a novelist or a poet.

I agree on that, yes… but with a touch of relativity
Some techniques, including HDR expand your photography options and allow you to capture images that you normally could not.
I agree on that too… as these options should remain what they are: options.
…and not elevated to a systematic approach!

I'm not in this hobby to become proffesional it is what it is a hobby, I don't get much time taking pictures but when I do I enjoy it and like to experiment. Once I've given it a go I'll probably try something else.
Being on holiday and having the opportunity to try something a bit different is all I'm wanting to do and this section is for asking questions and hopefully getting helpful answers!

Being on holiday and having the opportunity to try something a bit different
Absolutely legitimate…
Have a good time!

Hi, I'm up in Yorkshire amongst some fast flowing rivers and was wanting to try and capture some of of creamy river/waterfall shots! Is there a tutorial on here to help! Have taken a couple which don't look to bad but not sure on the basics!! :)
Whilst others may have discussed the technique, here's a thought...

Does a creamy milky look say 'fast flowing'? Or does it say 'serene', or calm?

To capture the drama of the fast moving water takes more work than sticking in a 10 stop and turning it to a creamy solid mass.

There's a knack to getting a good shutter speed - too slow and it can look a bit too creamy without a sense of fast flow, under a second should add motion but keep definition in the water, try different shutter speeds and see what works for you.

It's a bit odd that you've received immature advice in response to your question. It's your life and your camera and if you want to take creamy water shots why shouldn't you...

What a pompous reply. Why is wanting cotton candy/creamy/wispy water immature? Is there not such a thing as preference and personal taste?

Whilst others may have discussed the technique, here's a thought...

Does a creamy milky look say 'fast flowing'? Or does it say 'serene', or calm?
Very good point. I recently took some shots like this (see here) and I would definitely say they fit into the calm/serene category (especially the B&W).

Like all techniques, there's an element of both technical skill and viewer aesthetic preference.

I love good HDR captures displayed on an HDR display. I can't stand poor HDR captures tonemapped to some lurid colours for a non-HDR display.

Same camera technique, just one has practised a lot. So good on the OP for trying new techniques.

Well I've had a good go this week in Yorkshire won't no the full horror show until I get home, I might then post 1 for where I went wrong! Light was a big issue! Can only wait and see! Off back home tomorrow! :-(

I disagree - Yes some things can be "artistic decisions" however if you are shooting for yourself who cares - so long as you are happy with your images.
So anything goes, then, Richard? That sounds like a get-out! Why bother about anything? I thought that this was about a yen to improve ...
Like all techniques, there's an element of both technical skill and viewer aesthetic preference.

I love good HDR captures displayed on an HDR display. I can't stand poor HDR captures tonemapped to some lurid colours for a non-HDR display.
Please educate us about HDR displays ...

Last edited:
Shouldn't you have prefixed this with "This is just my opinion and could easily be wrong"?

Ok here we go then! I didn't have any filters and the light was pretty crap struggled to shoot anything around the correct aperture. Did enjoy it though!!

Attachments

• IMG_8763.jpg
    IMG_8763.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8656.jpg
    IMG_8656.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8666.jpg
    IMG_8666.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8537.JPG
    IMG_8537.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 38
You enjoyed it and got a variety of shots. You have no doubt also learnt from the experience so can expand on it another day. To me, this is more important than whether I happen to like the milky water look. The first image says volume. It lacks some punch (I say this based on other peoples photos as I have only recently tried to do anything beyond conversion to jpg in post!). Others less interesting (to me) but it's your journey. Well done for trying something new.

Ok here we go then! I didn't have any filters and the light was pretty crap struggled to shoot anything around the correct aperture. Did enjoy it though!!
Good effort, certainly looks like fast flowing water IMO. Not sure what's up with the 2nd as there's some strange blue tint on parts?

Good effort, certainly looks like fast flowing water IMO. Not sure what's up with the 2nd as there's some strange blue tint on parts?
Just think it was very bad light will have a look!! Thanks for your comments

Think it looks a bit better in BW

Attachments

• IMG_8656.jpg
    IMG_8656.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 16

I'm not a fan of the super creamy water look that such filters as the Big Stopper give but do like the sort of results you've achieved in terms of the way the water looks in them. Now you know what sort of shutter speed gives you that sort of result, you can play around with filters (ND or simply a polariser if that knocks enough light out) to get that sort of shutter speed (oops! Why are the U and I keys so close that I keep making a certain typo?!!) when there's more attractive light.

Well done, you achieved what you set out to do and I'm sure learnt a lot too.
Certainly a lot of water flowing there, going much longer on exposure with that much water would have been overkill and would have lost a lot of definition.
Just a little sad with the composition of the last one, including the rest of the arch would have made a much better image.
Maybe a excuse for another outing ;)

Back