Capture NX

Name
Damian Brown
Edit My Images
No
I currently use Adobe Bridge and CS3 after all shoots, always RAW (NEF - Nikon d200). Does anybody think I'd see an advantage implementing Capture NX?

Noticed some use NX and CS3 and so here begins my research into the pro's and con's... that and a trial download which is in progress.

Ta :D

NX is ram hungry, but its only as slow as the pc its run on.
I'm in edit turmoil over it, I dont use photoshop, and I dont like using stupid software that wants to import and export from folders and all that crap, like lightroom.
I was fine with D70 files, Nikon Capture for quickies and NX for things that needed a little more work with non-global adjustments.
But since I now use D200, the file sizes are 3 times that of D70, and NX is reeeeally eating resorces, 600mb of ram to open a photo wtf.
NX is a great piece of software for enhancing photos if you have plenty of pc grunt.
I dont really understand the concept of going through NX and then CS3:shrug:

All I know is that Bridge works for me to get the photos from the cards to the pc fine, named and organized, easy to sort once i've sifted through a shoot.. that reminds me... the last wedding i did i didn't rename the files after deleting the unwanteds... no biggy..

Anyway, yes Bridge does me fine.. just wondering if Capture offers any advantage. The Ram thing doesn't sound great though this pc isn't too bad yet.

I plug my camera in
I move the files to the folder of my choice
Sift through and delete
Open the images I want to edit individually
Save to the folder of my choice
end

There is no "organizing" in NX, the only advantage I can see is the un-complexity of NX as a stand alone image editor v photoshop's complexity.
But it does eat that ram:shake:

I'm completely lost with the bridge/lightroom re-naming organising thing.
I get the feeling, its what peeps are used to using now, but doesn't actually offer anything worthwhile...I dunno
I want someone to a + b = c it for me, stupid style.

I do the same as you Joxby.

1. Import from camera using bridge (just cos i find it easy)
2. Sort out the crap.
3. Import into Lightroom, importing at current location, so no duplicates.
4. Process using LR.
5. Export as JPG, PSD or however I need them.
6. Open PS and then open the exported file IF I need to do any cloning etc.

The only reason I don't use LR to import is that I like exactly how Bridge imports them, and it's all set up happily for me, so I see no reason to upset the applecart.

NX eats ram, even with my comp running 2 gig it still ran slow, so I gave that up as a bad job :)

But you don't, you import them, I move them.
How is importing with bridge better than highlighting all files and moving them, no software required to "move" files.
What does it do, that moving them doesn't do ?
Gawd, if NX was any good I wouldn't even care:LOL:

I enjoyed using Lightroom, it was quick and easy once I got the gist of it, I have to get a handle on this import export crap, or....its a new pc with 11tybillion gigabots of ram just for NX:shake:because thats the way software is interfering with my methods these days, they're no longer stand alone proggys you just "open with"
I tried Raw Therapee on someones advice, but it just does exactly the same thing, imports a folder full of flippin files I dont want.

Back