Capture One new release (v23) particular interest for sports and wildlife

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Capture One's new releases are often a disappointment in terms of new features, because they add new features throughout the life of a release, and don't store them up for an annual upgrade.

However, the recent release (8th November ) has some new features that are more interesting than they first appear. It's the first time since release 7 that I made up my mind not to upgrade, but I now feel it’s a more interesting upgrade than I thought. Whether it's worth the upgrade price has to be an individual decision !

Group overview, which is part of the new culling tools that generally speeds up culling large numbers of images. includes a new AI based subject recognition group selection tool. This analyses all the selected images and then groups them by subject similarity. And, you can adjust the sensitivity of the selection to fine tune what is included in each group. The example shown in the (long) video below allowed mammal pictures to be grouped by species, and by increasing the sensitivity break those mammal sub groups down to smaller groups based on animal posture.

You can run this, and the other new culling tools, on the memory card before importing files, or after import. If this works as well as suggested it seems like a useful tool to help sort through large numbers of wildlife or sports pictures, as well events, portraits and portraits of course.

Smart adjustment looks like the existing normalise tool, where you could select a point on a reference image to select white balance and exposure, and then copy that across to a batch of other images so they all 'matched" in colour and exposure. Smart adjustment, which currently only works with people pictures, uses face recognition and AI to copy (and match) the white balance and exposure from an adjusted reference image and intelligently apply it to selected pictures. It means that rather than just copying the settings across to every image, each image gets customised settings needed to match the original exposure and white balance. You can also make other adjustments to the reference photo and save them along with the smart adjustments as a style and batch apply the style.

Although, it uses face recognition, people have tried it on picture without faces, objects and landscape, and still feel it speeds up making these settings on images without faces, and C1 have said the reliance of face recognition is "for now". But the face recognition based method should still work for sports photographers who may well come back with large numbers of pictures taken across very varied lighting conditions.

Layers in styles Only a small thing, but if you add a dodge layer and a burn layer and an output adjustment layer to virtually every image, being able to save these layers as a style so they are created all at one go, removes an irritating bit of tedium to editing, as well as adding versatility to how you can create more complex styles.

There is also a free, but limited, version of Capture One Live (online photo sharing tool) included, and improved variant management.

What I find interesting, is that a few year ago in an interview the chief developer at C1 commented on how much work they were doing with AI, but that they intended to only apply it where they felt it offered real benefits. They first used it mid-release last year when they introduced a new keystoning tool with AI. And in this version release they seem to have carefully applied it to circumstances where it should save time, but not remove any important control from the user. Excited is a gross overstatement, but I am intrigued to see where they take AI over the next year. They have a habit of introducing new features and then letting them languish.

There is a 10 minute overview of the new features here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhc87u9iBCo

And the official release video (1h 20mins hours) is here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awUld2JHaiA

Written notes on the release are here:

Capture One's new releases are often a disappointment in terms of new features, because they add new features throughout the life of a release, and don't store them up for an annual upgrade.

However, the recent release (8th November ) has some new features that are more interesting than they first appear. It's the first time since release 7 that I made up my mind not to upgrade, but I now feel it’s a more interesting upgrade than I thought. Whether it's worth the upgrade price has to be an individual decision !
.... Like yourself, I have been using Capture One for many years and have liked its RAW conversion quality and what it has to offer. However, because ON1 2023 has now become a serious competitor and in fact offers my work much more than C1 does, I have decided not to renew my annual subscription to C1 nor to buy it outright.

As you say, it is an individual decision and I thank you for posting your well-written (as always!) overview and especially as it would appear to be good for wildlife and action (my genres). Giving up C1 has not been a decision I have taken lightly.

Another influence on my decision is workflow - I have been C1 > ON1 + plug-ins > C1 > Export for a few years but now I can shorten my workflow and also apply NoNoise AI as the very first adjustment because it is part of ON1. Everyone strongly advises noise reduction as the very first step in post-processing RAW images. Furthermore, ON1 includes Resize AI which is seriously excellent when you need to supply a customer an image file for a giant size wall print.

Perhaps the fundamental difference between ON1 and C1 is ON1's continual introduction of AI - But I hasten to add that fully manual controls are retained so you can ignore the AI options when you want. It's all down to your preferences for the look of the final image.

You recently posted a link to this excellent website and I found this article :

I would prefer to describe myself as an Emotive rather than Emotional Photographer! :ROFLMAO: and so ON1 suits my work better.

I think that Capture One now have some serious competitors, not just ON1, in RAW editing and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Last edited:
.... Like yourself, I have been using Capture One for many years and have liked its RAW conversion quality and what it has to offer. However, because ON1 2023 has now become a serious competitor and in fact offers my work much more than C1 does, I have decided not to renew my annual subscription to C1 nor to buy it outright.

As you say, it is an individual decision and I thank you for posting your well-written (as always!) overview and especially as it would appear to be good for wildlife and action (my genres). Giving up C1 has not been a decision I have taken lightly.

Another influence on my decision is workflow - I have been C1 > ON1 + plug-ins > C1 > Export for a few years but now I can shorten my workflow and also apply NoNoise AI as the very first adjustment because it is part of ON1. Everyone strongly advises noise reduction as the very first step in post-processing RAW images. Furthermore, ON1 includes Resize AI which is seriously excellent when you need to supply a customer an image file for a giant size wall print.

Perhaps the fundamental difference between ON1 and C1 is ON1's continual introduction of AI - But I hasten to add that fully manual controls are retained so you can ignore the AI options when you want. It's all down to your preferences for the look of the final image.

You recently posted a link to this excellent website and I found this article :

I would prefer to describe myself as an Emotive rather than Emotional Photographer! :ROFLMAO: and so ON1 suits my work better.

I think that Capture One now have some serious competitors, not just ON1, in RAW editing and it will be interesting to see how they respond.
It's a tricky decision, I like the C1 workflow, but it's a lot of money every year, especially as you still need a decent DAM, a pixel editor and de-noise program !

I'm not sure where I'm going to go with software. Although not very fashionable amongst many, Adobe has always seemed good value to me, given you get LR/PS and a website for a known annual cost, and they have AI de-noising in beta so we should see that as part of LR/PS in the not too distant future. It also seems that more and more programs have fallen into an annual upgrade cycle as a sort of "flexible annual subscription" in that you can choose your upgrade timing, or even miss a year, or not upgrade at all, but I know I would find it difficult not to upgrade.

I like PS, but I'm not a fan of LR and constantly get drawn back to C1 as a general purpose editor, but the C1 DAM is poor while the LR DAM is pretty good. So I've ended up with LR for the DAM, C1 sessions for everyday editing and PS for pixel editing. Plus a toolbox of other programs that I've started using for specific reasons, and continued to use, even though they are strictly no longer as important as they once were e.g. Photo Mechanic.

I can see the attraction of ON1, but not ready to make that sort of change yet.

I would like to simplify things, just as much for improvements in my mental health as for improvements in my bank balance.

P.S life after photoshop has just reviewed the new C1 culling tools

It's a tricky decision, I like the C1 workflow, but it's a lot of money every year, especially as you still need a decent DAM, a pixel editor and de-noise program !

I can see the attraction of ON1, but not ready to make that sort of change yet.

I would like to simplify things, just as much for improvements in my mental health as for improvements in my bank balance.

P.S life after photoshop has just reviewed the new C1 culling tools
.... I like the C1 workflow too but I am already finding that the only feature I am missing so far is its Watermark feature as I run 3 different Instagram pages covering my 3 different photography genres each with their own watermark. I have solved it by Exporting from ON1 to Affinity Photo 2 where I have created template layers. That also has the benefit of Affinity Publisher 2 which I use quite a lot. Plus Affinity Designer 2, all integrated like Adobe CS.

I use FastRawViewer (FRV) for culling but am thinking of using my camera's Olympus Workspace app as you can't retitle files in FRV unfortunately. Plus Workspace displays so much more camera settings info such as the AF points which I selected for each shot etc etc.

Me leaving C1 is also driven by my overall image software costs per year or per version.

Back