Capture One Pro 11

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
Any users out there? I've been using it exclusively since its launch, at the beginning of the year. I was a Lightroom user, having perpetual licenses to 5 and 6 (now CC) thanks to Leica, but it was actually the head of Leica Customer Care who suggested I try it. I find it vastly superior to Lightroom in every way, but I don't do mobile or cloud stuff, which is where Lightroom is going.

Any users out there? I've been using it exclusively since its launch, at the beginning of the year. I was a Lightroom user, having perpetual licenses to 5 and 6 (now CC) thanks to Leica, but it was actually the head of Leica Customer Care who suggested I try it. I find it vastly superior to Lightroom in every way, but I don't do mobile or cloud stuff, which is where Lightroom is going.

I have and own Capture one Pro 11, I have the Standalone version of LR6 but have to use C1 now as I have the Fuji X-T3 and think C1 does a good job on the Raw files.

I’m going to give it a go, I’m very embedded in Lightroom having used it from v1, but it just doesn’t render Fuji files that well.

I liked how it worked on my iso 12800 images from the X-T3.
It’s not greatvon my X-T2, will do a back to back with Lightroom/in camera jpegs.

I was actually just contemplating the software today, but then found out they explicitly remove support for Hasselblad cameras, as a rival camera product to phase one - part of their 'detection method' is to look for the word 'Hasselblad' in the META data - and then prevent you from editing those files.

Someone posted a workaround by editing the META data, but I'm not paying for a solution which could stop working if they fix the 'loop hole'.

Last edited:

I've used C1 since V6 or V7, can't remember now. I prefer it to Lightroom (which, I have also used since V1), but the catalogue in Lightroom is more robust than C1 it makes a much better job than C1 with purple fringing, it seems to handle highlights more easily than C1, and has better integration with the outside world and plugins.

I find the workflow and customisation of C1 makes it easier to use than LR, and in quality comparisons I find C1 to be preferable with a 3D feel that I can't match using LR, and I find this slight improvement in image quality nice to have, even though it's more the C1 workflow that keeps me paying the annual C1 upgrades, in addition to my Adobe sub.

The layers and colour editing tools in C1 make it a more complete editing tool than LR, but I still often end up round tripping images from C1 to PS for editing important images as PS is still more flexible editing tool. Fortunately the integration between C1 and Photoshop is excellent.

Interesting that C1 now has free versions for both Sony and Fuji users and with the demise of their "small format" medium format digital backs they now feel able to support Fuji medium format cameras. But worrying that the Fuji Pro version is subscription only :-(

I have and own Capture one Pro 11, I have the Standalone version of LR6 but have to use C1 now as I have the Fuji X-T3 and think C1 does a good job on the Raw files.

Well on the most part, as I posted in the Fuji thread some files it will not process properly.

Other than that C1 isn't bad at all, but I do prefer to keep all my workflow in Adobe as I use a lot of the CC programs.

Well on the most part, as I posted in the Fuji thread some files it will not process properly.

Other than that C1 isn't bad at all, but I do prefer to keep all my workflow in Adobe as I use a lot of the CC programs.

Which Fuji thread, I would be interested if you could point me towards it. Given that Fuji are now collaborating with Phase One, I would not have expected any issues with processing Fuji films, and if there is a specific issue I would assume a quick fix.

I was actually just contemplating the software today, but then found out they explicitly remove support for Hasselblad cameras, as a rival camera product to phase one - part of their 'detection method' is to look for the word 'Hasselblad' in the META data - and then prevent you from editing those files.

Someone posted a workaround by editing the META data, but I'm not paying for a solution which could stop working if they fix the 'loop hole'.

It wouldn't be ideal for Hasselblad anyway, as they don't have appropriate camera profiles. But blocking even basic import of DNGs from their competitors seems rather petty, and breaks the idea of DNG as a universal format.

There is a totally free version of Capture 1 purely for Fuji users. I'm experimenting with it at present. From what I can see it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the full set up but I understand that the full Fuji version costs £175. Am I right on that? Whatever, the free version seems to be very good now I've got the hang of it.

It wouldn't be ideal for Hasselblad anyway, as they don't have appropriate camera profiles. But blocking even basic import of DNGs from their competitors seems rather petty, and breaks the idea of DNG as a universal format.

It was in the Fuji X-T1, X-T2, X-T3 thread and was in reference to the X-T3.

It said......

Can someone with an X-T3 and uses Capture One try something.

Under shooting settings Turn Sports Finder Mode ON
Take some photos in RAW
Import into Capture One

On import all of the images appear completely purple - something that doesn't happen with any other images
Correct the white balance to get rid of the purple (but it's impossible to get the colours right)

I'm assuming this is an issue with Capture One editor with these RAW files (or me) but the results are shocking... (below cropped examples)

xt3.jpg

xt32.jpg

I don't think anyone in the thread likes non-positive things so I didn't get a reply.

So I tried the Fuji linked SILKYPIX software and the files are fine in that (full colour and no banding) so it is certainly an issue with Capture One.

I've used Capture 1 with my Sony A6500 since C1 v10. I find it excellent. Never used Lightroom/etc.

It was in the Fuji X-T1, X-T2, X-T3 thread and was in reference to the X-T3.

It said......

Can someone with an X-T3 and uses Capture One try something.

Under shooting settings Turn Sports Finder Mode ON
Take some photos in RAW
Import into Capture One

On import all of the images appear completely purple - something that doesn't happen with any other images
Correct the white balance to get rid of the purple (but it's impossible to get the colours right)

I assume this was in reply to my question (even though you have quoted something different). Did you try C1 support, apparently several Phase one staff use Fuji and now that they have a formal arrangement with Fuji, you would think they would want/need to get this fixed.

I've had a look in the fuji x forum as there are a fair number of long term C1 users there and although there is a strange yellow hatching issues with someone and an XT3 file, I can't find mention of purple casts. Nor could I see any obvious mention on the Phase one user forum.

C1 technical support is usually very good and very quick, and since you seem to have a specific set of circumstances they may be able to help/replicate it. I only have an x100s and Xe1 so can't comment on the problem, but if you upload a file somewhere for me to download, I could see if I have the same issue with your file.

Is this with the fuji express version, and is it Mac or Windows

I assume this was in reply to my question (even though you have quoted something different). Did you try C1 support, apparently several Phase one staff use Fuji and now that they have a formal arrangement with Fuji, you would think they would want/need to get this fixed.

I've had a look in the fuji x forum as there are a fair number of long term C1 users there and although there is a strange yellow hatching issues with someone and an XT3 file, I can't find mention of purple casts. Nor could I see any obvious mention on the Phase one user forum.

C1 technical support is usually very good and very quick, and since you seem to have a specific set of circumstances they may be able to help/replicate it. I only have an x100s and Xe1 so can't comment on the problem, but if you upload a file somewhere for me to download, I could see if I have the same issue with your file.

Is this with the fuji express version, and is it Mac or Windows

Ahh yes it was in reply to you, sorry mis-clocked the quote.

I was going to contact C1, maybe I should if it will help them correct it and ultimately help me :)

Ahh yes it was in reply to you, sorry mis-clocked the quote.

I was going to contact C1, maybe I should if it will help them correct it and ultimately help me :)

Yes, I would. You do need to register with them to get access to support, but that is a couple of anomalies people have now reported with the XT3, so It would be useful.

Yes, I would. You do need to register with them to get access to support, but that is a couple of anomalies people have now reported with the XT3, so It would be useful.

Support replied with the following:

We are aware of the issue, and looking into a fix.
The same also goes for ES 1.25x crop mode.
I can’t give an ETA.

Support replied with the following:

We are aware of the issue, and looking into a fix.
The same also goes for ES 1.25x crop mode.
I can’t give an ETA.

Thanks for letting me know, Good at least they are working on it, and as expected you obviously got a rapid reply. Don't be put off by the "can't give an ETA", they always say that, it doesn't mean anything other than they won't ever tie themselves down to a time scale.

There seem to be a lot of happy punters including me.

There is a purple fringing tool in C1.

I have used Capture One for a few years now and chose it because I only shoot RAW files and all the Lightroom vs CaptureOne RAW conversion comparisons I saw online greatly favoured CaptureOne.

I read a statistic which stated that more amateur photographers than professional photographers used Lightroom and vica-versa for Capture One. Okay, it's a stat but it does tell you something if it's true < It was a third-party who said this.

ON1 is fast catching up fast and will be some serious competition for both Lightroom and Capture One.

I have used Capture One for a few years now and chose it because I only shoot RAW files and all the Lightroom vs CaptureOne RAW conversion comparisons I saw online greatly favoured CaptureOne.

I read a statistic which stated that more amateur photographers than professional photographers used Lightroom and vica-versa for Capture One. Okay, it's a stat but it does tell you something if it's true < It was a third-party who said this.

I don't think it actually tells you anything very useful :-(

Adobe has always been targeted at amateur and professional photographers, while Capture One has only (until recently) been targeted at professionals, has always been priced way higher than Lightroom and initially only supported pro level Nikon and Canon cameras, as a "favour" to professionals using Phase One cameras who also wanted to use Capture One to process their Nikon and Canon files (or it may have been linked to tethering)

I suspect this statement will only apply to proportions and not to actual numbers. ie of the people who use C1, the majority are professionals, while of the people who use Lightroom the majority are amateurs. But that could still be a million professional photographers using Lightroom while only 100,000 professionals using Capture One (I have no idea what the actual numbers might be, this is purely illustrative).

Capture One is still a high priced niche product mainly aimed at professionals and serious amateurs, while Lightroom is aimed at "everyone" who might have a use for a photo processing program, so it would be "very" surprising if more amateur photographer were not using Lightroom than C1, many amateurs will have never even heard of Capture One, even though its been around for longer than Lightroom.

I think what might be more telling, as I suspect very few professional C1 users don't also use Photoshop, is how many pay the extra for C1, even though they have Lightroom for free with Photoshop.

I don't think it actually tells you anything very useful :-(

Adobe has always been targeted at amateur and professional photographers, while Capture One has only (until recently) been targeted at professionals, has always been priced way higher than Lightroom and initially only supported pro level Nikon and Canon cameras, as a "favour" to professionals using Phase One cameras who also wanted to use Capture One to process their Nikon and Canon files (or it may have been linked to tethering)

I suspect this statement will only apply to proportions and not to actual numbers. ie of the people who use C1, the majority are professionals, while of the people who use Lightroom the majority are amateurs. But that could still be a million professional photographers using Lightroom while only 100,000 professionals using Capture One (I have no idea what the actual numbers might be, this is purely illustrative).

Capture One is still a high priced niche product mainly aimed at professionals and serious amateurs, while Lightroom is aimed at "everyone" who might have a use for a photo processing program, so it would be "very" surprising if more amateur photographer were not using Lightroom than C1, many amateurs will have never even heard of Capture One, even though its been around for longer than Lightroom.

I think what might be more telling, as I suspect very few professional C1 users don't also use Photoshop, is how many pay the extra for C1, even though they have Lightroom for free with Photoshop.

.... Yes, I think you are right about the proportions aspect and I should have perhaps been clear about the fact that what I read did not include any numbers.

As we know, Phase One's Capture One roots are as the editing software developed initially for Phase One cameras and those cameras are both stellar in performance and costs! The bar is set high and I think that's a good thing and even better that we have choices.

My attitude is that having spent literally many thousands of pounds (more than the average Jo spends on a boring family car) on camera gear appropriate for shooting wildlife it wouldn't make sense not to use the best editing software I can find to fully exploit and realise the potential of my photographic efforts.

If you have a high performance car you don't fill the tank with low octane fuel - Simples :D

My attitude is that having spent literally many thousands of pounds (more than the average Jo spends on a boring family car) on camera gear appropriate for shooting wildlife it wouldn't make sense not to use the best editing software I can find to fully exploit and realise the potential of my photographic efforts.

I use C1 and Photoshop primarily, and even though I don't have equipment equal to the value of a family car, I do see software as a relatively small proportion of my photographic expenditure, even though its one of the most important.

Back