Car buyers should have 'long, hard think' about diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't say anything there to suggest the car wasn't in Eco mode. Probably just a typical old fart accident where they hit the accelerator instead of the brake or thought they had it in reverse instead of drive.
A couple of weeks ago in HaverfordWest I saw an old boy reverse out of a parking space straight back, across a road and into a bollard. Unable to believe what was happening, he moved forward and reversed into it again and more pace this time, then put it into drive, floor it and into the space he was previously parked in, launching the car over the bollard into the wall of Topps Tiles and coming back to rest on the bollard.

20180906_162117.jpg 20180906_162309.jpg

After a certain age motorists should have a retest as well as the medicals. My wife's grandfather had an accident at the age of 82. Only a minor bump really but a damaged wing and wrecked wheel from hitting a high kerb. When I was told of the accident, I didn't think anything of it. When it was pointed out to me which kerb he had hit, it was on the nearside and he should have been in the right hand lane approaching a roundabout. I dread to think how he managed to hit a kerb on his left.

After a certain age motorists should have a retest as well as the medicals. My wife's grandfather had an accident at the age of 82. Only a minor bump really but a damaged wing and wrecked wheel from hitting a high kerb. When I was told of the accident, I didn't think anything of it. When it was pointed out to me which kerb he had hit, it was on the nearside and he should have been in the right hand lane approaching a roundabout. I dread to think how he managed to hit a kerb on his left.

This guy had just got his licence back after having a stroke last year. His wife was in the rear, brother in the front passenger. We had to recline the seats and ease him over into the back as he had knackered knees and the door was jammed by a bollard.

When it was pointed out to me which kerb he had hit, it was on the nearside and he should have been in the right hand lane approaching a roundabout. I dread to think how he managed to hit a kerb on his left.
Probably got cut up by some twatt in the outside lane wanting to turn left, it happens far to often around here.

Some old dear plowed through some bollards in a morrisions down our way not long ago. Killed one person waiting at an atm and seriously injured another.

I live in a really quiet cul de sac, and yesterday at one in the afternoon, dry roads, good visibility, I was walking and there was a car coming towards me quite slowly from the cul de sac end, about to join the larger road which is on a bus route. The guy driving was in his seventies or eighties and seemed to be overly concentrating. His driver door was partially opened and the seat belt hanging down near the road. He was joining the larger road, turning left down it, and rather than stop - no traffic behind him - he decided to open the drivers door, pull in the seat belt and then quickly close the drivers door, all whilst not quite stearing the car left enough, because he had drifted over to the wrong side of the road and was carrying on, potentially risking a head on accident.
His decision making abilities were clearly not functioning.
Would it really have been more difficult to stop the car at the side of the road, get himself sorted out and then continue his journey?
He also had three passengers in the car with him.

Don't they have a thing on the dash for that?
Yes, but then you don't have to keep taking your eyes of the road to glance at it and more time for keeping an eye out for Muppets.

Yes, but then you don't have to keep taking your eyes of the road to glance at it and more time for keeping an eye out for Muppets.
Let me guess, you don't check your mirrors either, just in case..

Mirrors are all part of keeping an eye on the road and a look out for Muppets.
So is glancing at your speed and not thinking your superhero power is being a human speedometer. :LOL:

Nice big numbers near the top of the dash in the Leaf (as well as it having an easily settable limiter). Easy to set limiter and a decent size speedo in mine. Small speedo and no limiter in the MX-5 and the speedo's set among 3 other dials...

So is glancing at your speed and not thinking your superhero power is being a human speedometer. :LOL:
I don't think that's what he's saying.

If you've had your car for a while you can generally tell by the sound of the revs and what gear you're in (more so with a manual) roughly whether you're giving it a bit too much go pedal.

Nothing at all about being a superhero. It is about recognising something you do automatically, just like the moment you know a certain driver is about to do something stupid.

That doesn't say that other manufacturers cheated, it just says the cars had higher emissions in real world driving. A bit redundant since all new cars sold since September 1st have to have passed the new real world emissions test.

The hint is in the source of the article - a site called wattsupwiththat that proclaims its popularity regarding environmental change is not going to want to present a view of ICE vehicles which suggests they might be in any way a viable option.

The hint is in the source of the article - a site called wattsupwiththat that proclaims its popularity regarding environmental change is not going to want to present a view of ICE vehicles which suggests they might be in any way a viable option.
and the person who posted the article ;) :D

Obviously not intelligent enough to realise that no real world test will produce the same results over and over again.
Even the new real world tests have to be carried out under certain conditions so that all manufacturers cars can be compared. No two car owners use their cars under identical conditions after that, which is why owners emissions and fuel consumption will always differ from the manufacturers figures and other owners figures.
But it still doesn't mean that other manufacturers have cheated in achieving their figures.

Shock as controlled lab test does not replicate real world situations?

In September 2015, the German automaker Volkswagen was found to have illegally cheated federal emissions tests in the United States, by intentionally programming emissions control devices to turn on only during laboratory testing. The devices enabled more than 11 million passenger vehicles to meet U.S. emissions standards in the laboratory despite producing emissions up to 40 times higher than the legal limit in real-world driving conditions.

Cars are supposed to behave normally under emissions testing. Not cheat to squeeze by them and then be even more gross polluters in reality. It is also assumed that in the real world cars will pollute more and there are allowances for this also. This is based on lab results which is why real world emissions are so at variance to theoretical emissions.

Either they have the same emission controls running in the real world as in the lab tests or they stop turning on the special systems in the lab test alone.

Obviously not intelligent enough to realise that no real world test will produce the same results over and over again.
Even the new real world tests have to be carried out under certain conditions so that all manufacturers cars can be compared. No two car owners use their cars under identical conditions after that, which is why owners emissions and fuel consumption will always differ from the manufacturers figures and other owners figures.
But it still doesn't mean that other manufacturers have cheated in achieving their figures.

It's about turning on special systems during the lab tests which isn't allowed.

Either they have the same emission controls running in the real world as in the lab tests or they stop turning on the special systems in the lab test alone.
VW are the only ones who cheated in this manner, although other manufacturers have been guilty of doing similar previously.
Other than that there is no turning on and off of special systems to meet test conditions, it is just a case of emission controls working better under some conditions than others.
To meet the new real world emissions tests, VAG are the only manufacturer that I am aware of that has had to derate the performance of several cars to meet the emissions.

Shell are the outlier. Everyone else is cheaper.
Shell are building up a huge network, others will follow the pricing or be forced out the market because they won't be able to compete with the volume.

And we need a big network, looking at the Zap Map
upload_2018-9-23_7-57-24.png

Not many near our house in Pembroke. Can't charge on a terraced house, with pavement outside.
We need more points for this to take off

Porsche announced it will stop making diesel cars

Porsche announced it will stop making diesel cars

Who’d want a Porsche with a Diesel engine in anyway. Around 10% sales so not exactly earth saving is it. Still, good to see the impact of all these extra petrol engines increasing CO2 emissions now.

Who’d want a Porsche with a Diesel engine in anyway. Around 10% sales so not exactly earth saving is it. Still, good to see the impact of all these extra petrol engines increasing CO2 emissions now.

True but it shows you that the smart money is distancing itself from diesel in a very public manner

Shell have done about 10 chargers and given up by the look of it. Disappointing effort frankly.

Instavolt and polar are the only two that are really getting on with installations.

Wales is a basket case still.

True but it shows you that the smart money is distancing itself from diesel in a very public manner
More likely a result of being part of the company that cheated the emissions tests. Porsche actually suspended production of diesel variants of their cars earlier in the year.

I'm sure it was in the media way back in March about Porsche and many other manufacturers no longer doing diesel. In fact I think Toyota even said that come December they would no longer sell any diesels in Europe.

Honda do not appear to be ruling out diesels completely just yet, perhaps because of some impending tech which could almost wipe out particulates. But then if everyone else does then I suspect it may be hard to find diesel at the pumps in the future.

Shell are building up a huge network, others will follow the pricing or be forced out the market because they won't be able to compete with the volume.

And we need a big network, looking at the Zap Map
View attachment 135012

Not many near our house in Pembroke. Can't charge on a terraced house, with pavement outside.
We need more points for this to take off
Its always the way that infrastructure will follow demand. as the number of EVs grow as will the investment. Many companies will see this as an opportunity.

And this of course is helped with Government commitments to ban new ICE and car makers saying they will stop production of certain types of ICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back