Car inspiration needed

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Been asked to take photo's of a relatives Evo, now never really shot a car so I'm after some inspiration from you guys.

I've got two flash guns to play with if that helps!

Get low, really low. That's all I have, sorry

Sorry I'd disagree, most car designers design the aesthetics to they look they're best typically at headlight level. Use low level angles sparingly. If you want inspiration look at the works of guys like Frederic Schlosser, Ciprian Mihai et al. Do you have flexibility in terms of time of day you are shooting? In sunlight, natural light would be the way to go (use a polariser if you have one), with strobes consider compositing multiple shots together as 2 won't be enough to light the car appropriately. As with most photography, golden hour is my favoured time to shoot.

Natural light:

Mitsubishi Evo X

Here is a quick one of mine.

0I1A0320-2_zpsj5w3wgno.jpg

Grab a car magazine and look at the shots to see which you (and the car's owner!) like.

I personally like naturally lit shots in rural settings and can't stand "artistically" tilted, light painted shots but some seem to like them!

Get above, and try and avoid really wide angle lenses if you can, the perspective distortion usually makes cars just look wrong, especially if they're low and sleek. If going low down. get below ground level if you can, that can work quite well, as like getting above, it's not a view we're used to seeing so can look more interesting.

Car shoot bingo:

Light painted overlooking a city
In a Multistory car park
On an industrial Estate, bonus points for being in front of a roller shutter door
Rig Shot
Long Exposure whilst moving from inside shot
Inside a Tunnel
Off camera flash lighting only car against a seemingly black backdrop

I normally crouch down and shoot from a distance using a decent quality zoom, this was taken on XT-2 + 50-140

GTB-1 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Back