Car part query

Name
Edit My Images
No
I need to replace an ignition coil on my Nissan. Do they all have to be the same. Amazon can get me one tomorrow cheaply that it claims will work on my car but it's a different looking one to the three that are there. Can I mix and match them?

So long as it first the current to the spark plug then I guess it should be fine.

It is likely to look different as it will have been made by a different manufacturer. My only concern would be is how they perform compared to Oem coil packs. You may not notice anything whilst spark plugs are in good condition but as they wear and the gap grows the spark may well deteriate more on that one cylinder causing a misfire to varying degrees. You will also have no way of knowing if the insulation on the boot that fits over the plug is sufficient. Poor insulation will lead to arcing out onto the rocker cover and again an under performing cylinder compared to the rest. If the Amazon ad states they fit your engine then you can base it on any reviews sales May have received. Are they made by a known manufacturer?

I need to replace an ignition coil on my Nissan. Do they all have to be the same. Amazon can get me one tomorrow cheaply that it claims will work on my car but it's a different looking one to the three that are there. Can I mix and match them?

What's the difference in price - few pounds I wouldn't bother, if it's a considerable amount then certainly worth a try, if the spec says its compatible etc...

Have you looked on eurocarparts and the like, to see if they sell them and a cost ? ECP had a up to 55% off this weekend

What's the difference in price - few pounds I wouldn't bother, if it's a considerable amount then certainly worth a try, if the spec says its compatible etc...

Have you looked on eurocarparts and the like, to see if they sell them and a cost ? ECP had a up to 55% off this weekend
Eurocarparts would be my recommendation, they sell parts from reputable manufacturers, often including the manufacturer of the oem part too.

The difference was almost twice the price. But to be safe I've cancelled the order. My local motor factors said they had two different types in so I will pop along tonight with the duff one to see if it matches up.

The difference was almost twice the price. But to be safe I've cancelled the order. My local motor factors said they had two different types in so I will pop along tonight with the duff one to see if it matches up.

Sounds like the best option, also, hopefully will be a comparable price from them...

My old mgb was so much easier to work on. Far less complicated :)

Bet it needed far more fettling on a weekly basis to keep it running right though!

coiles are funny things.
my zrx 400 was runing sweet as a nut last month then suddenly it wasnt pulling on two cylinders.
literally overnight, i thought the same it is a coil issue as the two cyls affected were from the same coil.
went to talk to kawasaki and he said plugs.
bought and fitted new iridium plugs and voila vull powere again.

try some plugs if you havent allready

Any luck ?

If it looks different (obviously depends how different) I can't see how it would fit, unless its just a generic image used. First thing I do is make sure the part looks identical, that's the least you can expect. The internal components or qualities of materials are what you are taking the gamble on, that's not to say they won't match or at least perform aswell at that price point. I'm happy to pay less for 3rd party parts on my old car on the basis that if they are 30% of the cost they have at least a 30% service life.

Last edited:
Back