Car Rig Question...

I have built mine based on the list of items you have, and came in a lot cheaper than the pre-built one and works well :)

Cheers for the heads up guys!

I've purchased items seperately now and also gone for a 1 1/2" diameter alu pole with a 1.6mm wall.

5000mm in total but will cut it down and work out how to join them up later :(

Any thoughts?

Cheers for the heads up guys!

I've purchased items seperately now and also gone for a 1 1/2" diameter alu pole with a 1.6mm wall.

5000mm in total but will cut it down and work out how to join them up later :(

Any thoughts?

you could get a machinist to drill threads into each 1 meter section?

Could you post any links to where you found the parts please?

Cheers :)

I've got that rig mentioned above. One of the advantages is that the posts on the sucker clamps give you more of an angle you can move the pole around to. The pole is very rigid and doesn't bounce but is short.

With a long aluminium pole, you need to be aware of, obviously, the length, but also the bounce in it. Also be careful of the load you put through the end sucker, you are effectively working with a lever with a weight on it. I've seen people extend the pole the opposite way to the camera and weight it to stop the sucker getting pulled off.

One of the neat solutions I've seen to minimise bounce is to add a post half way along the pole at 90 degrees to the pole, then run a supporting wire from each end over the pole. It adds stability without too much weight.

I know some people have had success with the screwfix aerial mast which comes in 2 x 1.5m sections
http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-29924lab-3m-aerial-mast/32094

Last edited:
What suction cups do people use for rigs? The name Avenger 1000 pops up when I search around but I cant find them anywhere in stock or in the UK. Any other alternatives?

Nice one, cheers mate (y) I was just being a mug then :bonk:

Last edited:
Ta da....

Just photos of my rig through its build phase and attachment to a boring old astra!

Bit of back ground. Wanted a 4M rig that was easily dismantled and transportable.

Spec.

1 x 4m of 1 1/2" OD 16 SWG Alu Tube (main rig section)
1 x 1m of 1 3/8" OD 16 SWG Alu Tube (split into three to create joiners)
2 x M6 Turnbuckle
2 x 3mm Rope Clamps
1 x 5m of 3mm Wire
1 x Loop on a threaded bolt (not the technical term but can't remember it)

Usual rig stuff after that, 2 x Monfrotto Suction Cups, 3 x Super Clamps & 1 x Magic Arm

Joiners filed by hand...took 3hrs in total to effectively remove .7mm off a meter of alu tubing!

IMG_0564.jpg

Inserted into a larger OD 1.3m section

IMG_0568.jpg

The total rig length... 4 meters, test fitting the joiners.

IMG_0572.jpg

Drilling pilot holes in preparation for drilling so we can attached bolts to secure the 1.3 sections to a joiner.

IMG_0578.jpg

Bolts were a bit long...we would later use wing nuts as bolts are a bit to fiddly when needing to assemble/dis-assemble the separate sections.

IMG_0593.jpg

Was going to use PVC tubing but saw this in a local hardware shop, the loop wasn't closed as you can see so had to heat it up and get the lump hammer on the case.

IMG_0598.jpg

Turn buckle attached with tension wire and rope clamps in place...

IMG_0602.jpg

Loop closed off.

IMG_0604.jpg

In all its tensioned glory...

IMG_0608.jpg

Rigged up...

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

Test shot, Canon 400D - Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm - gives a good idea of the shots to come :)

IMG_0610.jpg

Shopped

IMG_06102.jpg

And ready to pack in a boot...

IMG_0624.jpg

Oft that looks good. I was going to make one soon and this looks one of the better designs Ive seen. Is there much wobble in it horizontally? Where'd you get your tubing from?

Nicely done, hoping this weekend I can sort the tubing for my rig as having all the other bits ready is getting frustrating. :p

There is a little wobble but you will get that with most car rigs - or so I've heard. Unless of course you have the luxury of carbon fibre ;)

Pretty sure I got my tubes from here: http://www.clickmetal.co.uk/Angle-Types/Round-Tubes/Aluminium-Round-Tube/p-16-13-23/

What about if you added an extra wire, that could then have a suction cup to a window or other part of the body work to pull tension on the horizontal axis? Or is it not really that much of an issue?

Thanks for the link, Ill look into it further soon :)
You totted up a total build price yet?

Bounce shoudn't be too much of an issue as usually you shoot at walking speed on a long exposure so you can walk with the camera and steady it.

Nice like the idea. A little soft on the front and shot from about a metre away at 10mm? I thought you were going for the 4m setup?

Back