Card been cloned - twice.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife’s card has been cloned twice in about 6 weeks. The original card was cloned, and now the replacement card has been cloned too. The first one they went on a shopping spree halted by the bank, and the second one was a smaller,single transaction.

It’s a debit card to our joint (disposable) account, my card hasn’t been cloned just hers. She rarely uses it, and I always fill up the cars so no dodgy petrol stations, and we are always careful about people handling our card. Just to add my wife has been isolating for 2 weeks.

The card gets used online on her iPhone but not on her laptop although I’m guessing her details are saved on there.

Is this a coincidence or do I need to investigate further?

Not since the first card was cloned

Apple Pay doesn’t use the card details. It’s a safer option than using a debit card.

“Privacy and security. With each and every payment.
The safer way to pay.
When you make a purchase, Apple Pay uses a device-specific number and unique transaction code. So your card number is never stored on your device or on Apple servers, and when you pay, your card numbers are never shared by Apple with merchants.
Smooth and secure transactions.
Apple Pay works with Face ID or Touch ID to deliver two-factor authentication. Which means you don’t need to verify payments through codes, secret questions or passwords.
Keep your purchases private.
When you pay with a bank card, Apple Pay doesn’t keep transaction information that can be tied back to you.”

Apple Pay doesn’t use the card details. It’s a safer option than using a debit card.

The safer way to pay.
When you make a purchase, Apple Pay uses a device-specific number and unique transaction code. So your card number is never stored on your device or on Apple servers, and when you pay, your card numbers are never shared by Apple with merchants.
Apple Pay works with Face ID or Touch ID to deliver two-factor authentication. Which means you don’t need to verify payments through codes, secret questions or passwords.
When you pay with a bank card, Apple Pay doesn’t keep transaction information that can be tied back to you.”

Interesting, would be worth using in future. It’ll be interesting to see if this happens a third time as then we know we have a problem. I use my card/s far more often and never have a problem. There must be a common occurrence between both instances. The first one was used in this country and the second was used abroad.

Interesting, would be worth using in future. It’ll be interesting to see if this happens a third time as then we know we have a problem. I use my card/s far more often and never have a problem. There must be a common occurrence between both instances. The first one was used in this country and the second was used abroad.

My card only ever gets used online with reputable companies. I only use Apple Pay, knowing that it’s safer than carrying cards around.

see if this happens a third time as then we know we have a problem.

You should both go through her transactions on the new card and compare to those on the old card. There will probably be a common denominator there that's likely the source of the cloning problem.

My credit card, that hasn’t been used for over a year was recently used to buy £40 worth of something off Amazon. I only found out when a statement appeared through the letterbox. My other halfs was also cloned and used to buy £1200 wort of goods in London. The only place her card had been used was to buy books for her Kindle from Amazon.

You should both go through her transactions on the new card and compare to those on the old card. There will probably be a common denominator there that's likely the source of the cloning problem.

have you seen how much she buys, that’d take about a week:LOL:

cards don't really get "cloned" thats just a bit of a myth
the details of the card simply get recorded somewhere and reused
so if you go and buy a vibrator from love honey and someone hacks the sites payment process they have all the details to use to order something else
i suspect she will have used the card on a website again where the original card was compromise

but my advice is,..... never ever ever use a DEBIT card to order goods online always use a CREDIT card
therefore the scallywags don't have access to real money as yes you may get refunded by the bank but the scallys might get away with the banks money

cards don't really get "cloned" thats just a bit of a myth
So how do you explain peoples cards that get cloned in cash points and then used in shops soon after?

but my advice is,..... never ever ever use a DEBIT card to order goods online always use a CREDIT card
therefore the scallywags don't have access to real money as yes you may get refunded by the bank but the scallys might get away with the banks money

That's what I do, and with a card totally separate from my bank account with a low credit limit that gets paid off every month
(y)

That's what I do, and with a card totally separate from my bank account with a low credit limit that gets paid off every month
(y)
And me

And it’s happened again - this time with a credit card that’s been used once contactless at a major retailer. Again a very small amount in Luxembourg.

Phone. I generally only use cash for work petty cash purchases.

I would prefer cashless, from a business process its a pain in the arse to manage daily and would remove any risk to personnel. Im haopy to use it in a reputable shop as there is usually a fixed unit and the till system should prevent the car number being visible to general employees. even if we pull up the back office data we cant get card details beyond last 4 digits. I wont hand it to someone to put in a machine especially in a restaurant.

I’d hardly spend anything, my mobile phone gets left in the car, out of charge, in another jacket, (maybe a throughback to hiding from work when not on the clock) cash stops me buying stuff I don’t need, if I haven’t got enough I can’t do it.
Someday it might get like sci-fi films where no body pays for things.
Sure I’ve seen some Scandinavians with implants in their hands for contactless purchases?

I’d hardly spend anything, my mobile phone gets left in the car, out of charge, in another jacket, (maybe a throughback to hiding from work when not on the clock) cash stops me buying stuff I don’t need, if I haven’t got enough I can’t do it.
Someday it might get like sci-fi films where no body pays for things.
Sure I’ve seen some Scandinavians with implants in their hands for contactless purchases?

I reckon only 10% of my purchases are made using my phone.

Sweden. Not sure its replacing cards just yet though and not that many have taken it up.

The safer way to pay.

I’d still recommend this as a solution.

no idea why some folk get these cards compromised, used contactless pretty much for every transaction for donkeys years now never an issue

no idea why some folk get these cards compromised, used contactless pretty much for every transaction for donkeys years now never an issue

I think it's possibly down to a few biggish factors like trying to buy only from the big name shops that hopefully can be trusted more and avoiding places on line you haven't heard of or researched. I suppose there's an element of pure luck at work too as even if you're very careful you could be unlucky and encounter the dishonest member of staff or buy from a reputable shop which is then hacked.

which is then hacked.
I think people should stop misusing that word.

"A hack" is a clever, beneficial enhancement and "hacking" is the process of improving a piece of machinery or software by employing such ingenuity.

Breaking into a system and stealing from the owners or users of the system is "criminal behaviour", regardliess of how clever it might appear to the uninitiated.

Last edited:
The only times my card has been compromised - I have zero explanation for... Brand new card, never used suddenly someone went on a bender in Sao Paulo on it... Got that sorted. New card (new number issued) and another bender this time in Manaus. Got that sorted.

I no longer have any dealings with that bank (which by pure coincidence, I'm sure, had their IT operations centre based in Brazil)

I think people should stop misusing that word.

"A hack" is a clever, beneficial enhancement and "hacking" is the process of improving a piece of machinery or software by employing such ingenuity.

Breaking into a system and stealing from the owners or users of the system is criminal behaviour, regardliess of how clever it might appear to the uninitiated.

Hacking in the way I used it is widely used to describe the unauthorised entry into a system and has been used to describe that for a very long time.

It was in common use in that sense over 40 years ago when I first entered the computer industry. It was used in that sense long before the internet, Windows, DOS or even PC's.

It was in common use in that sense over 40 years ago when I first entered the computer industry.
I started programming in 1976 and it was not normal to use the term for criminal behaviour in the circles in which I moved (mostly DEC and Data General minis). The common term for misbehaviour was "cracking", which I guess was derived from the term "safe cracking". Actually, the common term for someone attempting to penetrate a system in most places I worked at that time was "w****r" as in "that w****r's trying to crack Paul's password again".

Last edited:
I started programming in 1976 and it was not normal to use the term for criminal behaviour in the circles in which I moved (mostly DEC and Data General minis). The common term for misbehaviour was "cracking", which I guess was derived from the term "safe cracking". Actually, the commonest term in most places I worked at that time was "w****r" as in "that w****r's trying to crack Paul's password again".

Then you were in a different group and using different terms and our experiences and the terms we were exposed to are different.

You could always Google "origin of the term hacking" for another opinion.

I was at CDC before moving to Systime who among other things made Dec clones. The term was widely used to denote naughty behaviour long before I entered field service with DPCE and long before the way in which people would now "hack" ie possibly from their bedroom was generally if at all possible.

Last edited:
You could always Google "origin of the term hacking" for another opinion.
As you say, our experience was different, which is not surprising given the balkanisation of the industry at the time. I did a stint at a site which ran an IBM 370 at head office while the engineering centres were DEC centric. The only time I ever spoke to a programmer in the data centre was when he rang to explain why our request for a data dump of our spending records was not going to be granted "because minis don't do financials properly". :wideyed:

This is my point, we’ve never had a problem until recently. The credit card in question has one in store transaction is 3/4 months and only a few online transaction and they will be from big brand retailers

Back