Caroline Flack has died...

I'd imagine that people on the verge of suicide are not thinking rationally.

.... True but it could be argued that a decision to end your own life could be a sensible and logical decision for that person. As in "I see no point in continuing with life". Clearly it's not sensible or logical as judged by outsiders.

From what I have read, her suicide wasn't anything to do with being a celebrity or being in the spotlight.
Because of the looming court case she was barred from seeing or contacting her boyfriend.
The timing of finding out that the court case would go ahead coinciding with Valentine Day and not being able to see her boyfriend, she was feeling very low. She had sort help on the Friday, but it was decided she was ok.
I can only assume she sunk even further into her depression and could see no future for herself.

.... We can only speculate based on what we are informed by various media including online by herself and her family.

I expect that it was a combination of her feelings which brought her to end her own life. So far, I have to say that in my personal opinion I don't see any of them as being important enough to take your own life. But it's easy for me to think that because I am not her.

Which of those comments offended your sensibilities?

Fair question. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough but I did say that whilst I wasn't offended probably Jewish listeners and those in the studio audience, if there were any, probably would have been and I assumed that would have identified which of the three subjects mentioned I was referring to. I mentioned it in the context of someone (at the BBC) saying I was offended when I wasn't. I did, however, find it extremely distasteful and that's why I contacted the BBC. Maybe we're talking semantics here.

So, it was the 'joke' about Anne Frank and her family. In my complaint I suggested whoever wrote the 'joke' should be made aware, if he/sh already wasn't, what had happened to the family and that I was bewildered that anyone should think it could be the subject of a joke. It was infront of a live audience (it's on Radio4 every Friday evening at 6.30pm and repeated on Saturday at 1230pm....and there was some laughter but not the hearty kind you'd get with most jokes.The nature of the subdued laughter told me that the audience had misgivings about the nature of it. After being arrested the mother, Edith did not survive Auschwitz ,the two daughters, Anne and Margot were sent from there to Bergen-Belsen and died there. The father, Otto Frank was liberated from Auschwitz in January 1945 by Soviet troops. He died in 1980 in Basel.

There are many jokes told about Jews and the Nazis but crucially the jokes are not about Jews as victims.

It never ceases to amaze me where threads go off-piste, so to speak. Hope this clears it up for you, though.

Post script..later. Have to put my hands up that re this example it was me that took it off-piste..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh, I understood the point, it could just have been better made than your usual snark.

As your the only one who complains about my posts does it not occur to you that you might just be reading them wrongly... if your looking for somehtign to be annoyed about then it will be there :)

Back