TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
wish i had this a few days back for a 'faces' comp

colour_060_Medium.jpg

colour_061_Medium.jpg

Bit dark aren't they? Can't believe the weather was that crappy...
How are you converting to B&W? Please don't tell me you're just converting straight to mono...
If you use Photoshop, go to channel mixer and tick the mono box and then adjust the sliders (red should go wa-aaay down to about 18-20%) then slide the green and blue to get the best result.
This approach mimics the look we associate with using panchromatic B&W film.

looking at them now they are dark arent they!

Arkady i used the Mono option on channel mixer!

I saw that one at Groombridge place...i will have a look see if the originals are that dark....

Blimey, the poor chap's been massacred!

Although the colour pics bring out the textures, the "vandalism" :? spoils the effect rather. It's better in B&W, but Matts pics are quite dark...

lol looks like it got toasted since you saw it last!

indian2.jpg

and

indian1.jpg

they look better!

They are still a touch dark Matt, especially the first one :? Try increaing the brightness and adding in a little more contrast.

IanC_UK said:
The colour on mine makes it look a bit naff ! lol Will have to try Photochop once i get my act together ! lol

Your pics look like mine - slightly not bright and not enough contrast. Try dropping brightness by a few points, and then upp the contrast just very slightly. I think you'll like the results.

At then end of the day, don't be afraid to try - just don't save any alterations over the original!

the original shots were underexposed(sin), i didnt shoot in RAW(sin #2) thats what happens when i try to use full manual without actually knowing wtf im doing!!!(sin #3)

A quick copy, paste and tweak in Elements gave me this:

eosd_face.jpg

EosD said:
the original shots were underexposed(sin), i didnt shoot in RAW(sin #2) thats what happens when i try to use full manual without actually knowing wtf im doing!!!(sin #3)

ROFLMAO i think maybe we will need to create a sin confessions forum ! ;) lol

I will be joining you in there i think ! lol

IanC_UK said:
ROFLMAO i think maybe we will need to create a sin confessions forum ! ;) lol

I will be joining you in there i think ! lol

Or you could start a thread in the Photography and General chit-chat forum...it might develop into a interesting and funny post :D

Im clean guv....well, maybe not entirely, but mostly

nice that Oz, looks much better!

Even though I use a D1X, I still carry a Minolta Flash Meter for difficult light conditions. If in doubt, remember to BTF - Bracket Like F***! With digital there are no excuses - use the histogram feature on the playback menu to check as the brightness of the screen is often misleading.

i will do that...this DSLR using is a lot harder than you imagine!

Check out Digital SPG's Covent Garden shots and my BW shot of the hand caressing the statue in Prague.
I will put together a quick and dirty guide to BW in PS7/8 soon.

Back