Castle Combe Circuit

Name
Di
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been given an access all areas ticket for this Saturday, and as I've never been to this circuit before let alone tried my hand at motor sports photography, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of best places to situate myself at for good views.

Di

I put together a little guide, here: http://behindthefence.co.uk/?p=50

Quarry is probably your best bet for action and the most popular spectator point around the circuit. It's worth a walk around the circuit though as you never leave the immediate track perimeter, so always get a good view of what's going on, I usually walk the entire circuit twice and have a good look around the - very friendly and open - paddock on a race day quite comfortably.

The bank above the Esses is good and no fencing to block your shots! IIRC, CC is the only circuit you can walk all the way around - get there before the racing starts and walk round to choose your spot. Quarry's a very good spot too but there's a lot of fencing there. the good thing is the proximity to the coffee shop - a must on a cool Autumn day.

We were hoping to get up for this weekend's meeting on Sunday - not sure of the weather though and it's a horrible drive up the M5 is it's persisting down! It's the Autumn Classic, with plenty of beautiful old machinery - http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/events/display_event.asp?BookingEventID=440 .

I take it you mean you're signing on as media? If so I'll be there too and be glad to show you some spots I like such as: Quarry, Old Paddock, Hammerdown, Folly, Camp and Westway.

Thanks guys for all the clues about the circuit, Duly noted for the day.

Scott (Toggerman), No, I'm not media, have just been given a pass from a supplier at work which covers all areas of the track. I'd appreciate the guidance though as this is my first time at any circuit if you have the time (y)

Di

I put together a little guide, here: http://behindthefence.co.uk/?p=50

Quarry is probably your best bet for action and the most popular spectator point around the circuit. It's worth a walk around the circuit though as you never leave the immediate track perimeter, so always get a good view of what's going on, I usually walk the entire circuit twice and have a good look around the - very friendly and open - paddock on a race day quite comfortably.

That's a great guide, thanks. The page on shooting through fences is missing though, I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

I have never shot motor sport in the UK however I have down here (Australia) from both sides of the fence.

#1 Think safety all the time - always shoot from behind a barrier.
#2 Always obey any officials.
#3 Do not cross the track, when it is "hot" (the track is open), without permisssion from a marshal (they will protect you).

Photographically I always have a back up body and lenses.
Personally you may need to carry water, sun protection and some niblies as well as a (safety) vest etc..

Be mentally prepared if something goes horribly wrong during racing.
As the entry tickets say - "motor sport is dangerous.............."

Last edited:
Di, you may be a bit disappointed. AFAIK no circuit just gives out passes that will give you access trackside. You may well be able to walk anywhere around the circuit in the spectator area though.

See the guide above - excellent stuff.

I'm guessing you're just spectator side.
Quarry - always late braking, overtaking attempts, running off to the outside.

Old Paddock bend and Hammerdown, low barriers so easy to shoot the cars.
Coombe has lots of banking so you'll be shooting downwards (or a long lens)

Great circuit

The 'All Access Pass' mentioned is a little odd, there is no such thing at Combe. I guess it may mean a Paddock Transfer is included with the ticket, in which case it just saves you a few quid buying one.

Normally for a two day meet the paddock is free on a Saturday anyway, but as this is technically two separate meetings their may be a charge each day.

Scott (Toggerman), No, I'm not media, have just been given a pass from a supplier at work which covers all areas of the track. I'd appreciate the guidance though as this is my first time at any circuit if you have the time (y)

Di, keep an eye out for a tall fat bloke with a camera and a Sigma 120-300 dangling from a blackrapid strap and another camera with a Canon 70-200L around his neck. You might have to call out a couple of times though as I often fly away with the fairies.

Ukaskew's guide is very good and he mentions all the best spots from the spectator side. It is a very good and easy track to photograph at and well worth just walking around it at least once.

Normally for a two day meet the paddock is free on a Saturday anyway, but as this is technically two separate meetings their may be a charge each day.

I believe the paddock is free on both days this time. There is a grid walkabout on the Sunday which might require an additional pass maybe but I don't think there's anything like that on the Saturday

Thanks again for the clues on areas to shoot from. I could have had tickets for both days from the works supplier but a pre arranged visit to Richmond park stopped the Sunday visit.

For any confusion I may have caused when I said access all areas, the paperwork given out today mentions 'access the circuit, parking, paddock - in fact anywhere in the circuit' Still looking forward to trying something different no matter where I am and perhaps even bumping into Scott (Toggerman).

Di

You'll have to sign on as media, so you might not be able to get truly track side, but Castle Combe is a track that you can easily get great stuff from the spectator areas.

My favourites are the Esses and the approach to Tower, Quarry is good but everyone does it.

Probably best to ask here, how do I get signed on as Media as Freelance? I've only ever done it with a Magazine and they've sorted it all for me. Guessing it's not something I can do on the day?

Back