Castle Coombe for Race Photography

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
There is a VSCC event on at Castle Coombe next month that I am considering visiting. As I have never been before and it's a bit if a trek for me I was wondering what the circuit is like for photography? In particular are there debris fences? Any suggestions for good shooting spots would be appreciated.

Ta.

CC also has the advantage of you being able to walk all the way round the track. I like the Esses and Bobbie's for action and at the Esses, you can see the cars approaching from Quarry along the straight as well as them heading away from the corners (often with a wiggle!) Might be heading up for the Autumn Classic but got an evening commitment so might not make it.

I went last Aug Bank Holiday and spent the entire day there. The track is good and you can walk all the way round. I could also get into the pits and take shots (if you ask nicely) of the cars in bits too, which added a different dynamic. The prices are reasonable too as well as car parking.

There are a lot of places that you can shoot from and a lot with long lead ins to help you track cars early. Turns 1 and the Esses bends are probably your best chance.

Depending on the day, it became a little repeatative as there were a number of rounds when the same cars were racing, so by lunchtime, I had got most of them already but you can never predict the crashes!

I had a 5d2 and my 70-300 lens and had a right day of it, some of the work is on my website. I also got a shot of one car, that when it was published on social media, the driver noted it and learnt something about the handling of his car. Another like the shot so much he purchased a framed print from it.

Pssst.. I have some iphone shots of some of the areas I shot in that might give you a better idea of what to expect......will post later tonight if you are interested.

There is a VSCC event on at Castle Coombe next month that I am considering visiting. As I have never been before and it's a bit if a trek for me I was wondering what the circuit is like for photography? In particular are there debris fences? Any suggestions for good shooting spots would be appreciated.

Ta.

It's also Combe not Coombe ;)

Back