Catastrophe

Name
Michalene
Edit My Images
Yes
Just now at work my camera fell out of my bag at work and hit the floor. The lens filter has broken but the lens glass looks ok and I've managed to remove the broken glass from the filter however the way the camera has landed it has pushed the filter thread and I can't get it to turn to come off. Does anyone have any ideas? I took the attached picture with my phone to show how it's pushed in the filter. (I've tested the lens and it appears to be working ok for which I am thankful!) Or should I just leave 'as is'. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cameraedge.jpg

Ouch… but don't worry, it will all be fine and no scar.

The metal filter ring is scrap but the lens filters thread is not.
Using a flat tip plier, holding the front of the lens firmly, try to
unscrew the ring.

Go slow, don't lose the grip. Tapping repeatedly with a tool on
the biting pliers may be safer until the ring comes loose. Then
remove by hand.

Good luck!

pliers.jpg

Last edited:
Or if the filter is really really stuck, a filter wrench would get it off. See posts 51 and 87 in this thread.

Last edited:
Or if the filter is really really stuck, a filter wrench would get it off.

My only worry in this is it will apply more pressure on the
lens thread since the ring is distorted into an oval shape
but, yes, that could work too.

Ouch… but don't worry, it will all be fine and no scar.

The metal filter ring is scrap but the lens filters thread is not.
Using a flat tip plier, holding the front of the lens firmly, try to
unscrew the ring.

Go slow, don't lose the grip. Tapping repeatedly with a tool on
the biting pliers may be safer until the ring comes loose. Then
remove by hand.

Good luck!

pliers.jpg

thanks @Kodiak Qc I can try this when home as I have a pair of these. Just relieved that the lens is ok!

Thick elastic band round the filter may give enough grip to get it off.
Rob.

As a last resort you could gently hacksaw the filter opposite the damaged part of the filter and then try and get it to snap in half, but you'd need to be very careful obviously, alternatively maybe a camera repairer rather than DIY, what lens is it?

As a last resort you could gently hacksaw the filter opposite the damaged part of the filter and then try and get it to snap in half, but you'd need to be very careful obviously, alternatively maybe a camera repairer rather than DIY, what lens is it?

canon 70-300

Ok the pliers aren't working. I don't think I could grip the side that's pushed in to enable me to use the wrench things so at the moment I'm just leaving it as is. Because the glass is out it's not affecting the lens. I'll maybe take it into the camera shop in town - update - just ordered the wrench may as well try that before the shop as they aren't as expensive as the shop will be.

Last edited:
I cant get a proper grip Kodiak

The grip you get by the unmanaged side, lady, The safer the grip
the easier it gets!

… and tap in the direction of the next point in the curve,

The tendency with pliers and wrenches is to distort the very thin filter ring which makes it grab on harder. This can be avoided by applying the undoing torque equally at all points around the ring. This can be done by pressing the ring face down onto a rubber mat on a flat surface and then twisting if off.

you could try a house hold rubber glove but rather than using your fingers press it hard into your palm then try to turn it .
you could also hacksaw to slits opposite each other then use a blunt knife to act as a very large screw driver.
Rob.

Last edited:
The tendency with pliers and wrenches is to distort the very thin filter ring which makes it grab on harder. This can be avoided by applying the undoing torque equally at all points around the ring. This can be done by pressing the ring face down onto a rubber mat on a flat surface and then twisting if off.
If you look at the photo, the filter ring is pushed in into the lens on one side, so i don't think your technique will work.

ok got it off! used the side cutters that @ChrisH described - was trying to do what he said and it just popped off. Lens fine and in working order and not scratched. Feel exhausted now! but happy!

IMHO

Forget about trying to unscrew with filter clamps or even pliers.

The filter has been forced, across the thread, I would clamp the main body of the lens between two pieces of foam and a workbench and use brute force and a pair of farmers/pincers to twist and break the now empty filter ring.

A sensible precaution is to cover the front element of the lens with some hardy cloth, taped into position, in case of slippages.

Good luck.

Back