Studio Catch

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Its been a while since I've had time to set the home studio up but here goes.

This was an experiment in child distraction. Not easy! A lot of trial and error, getting the ball in the right place at the right time.

Set-up wise, this was a 3 light set up, with a 120cm soft box to camera left with the subject looking towards it, a gridded light on the background and another gridded light camera right, behind as a hair light...which to be honest was more hassle than it was worth as the subject wasn't always in the right place for this to get the desired effect.

These were taken with 'normal' studio lights so as a result they aren't super fast but this worked well to convey the movement.

As always comments and constructive crit always welcome.

2017_01_28Kids-Studio167 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

2017_01_28Kids-Studio188 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

The set-up...

2017_01_28Kids-Studio210 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

First thing I noticed was their fabulous expressions :)

Technical crit fwiw their faces are a little hot and some fo the shadows are a little hard (may be what you were after though).

Technique crit: The lads technique is good with fingers slightly down and making a cradle, the young lass most likely dropped the ball ;)

Thanks, I see what you mean about the harsh shadows, probably caused by the lack of a 'fill' light camera right. I do have a habit of going for a quiet high contrast look.
I think the biggest problem I see, particularly with the first is that he stepped back and the hair light that was just clipping his hair lit too much of the side of his head, hence the shadow round his ear. In highnsight the set up was probably too 'tight' for a subject that might move.

As for the catching technique, it was my son who dropped it the most often, we joked a few times during the shoot that it was a good thing he didn't want a career as an england cricketer!

Hey those are great. Nice to see something diferent. Both fab for me. Nice bright and colourful !!!

Gaz

Back