CCD cleaning advice

I'll leave this to Matt, he has this process off to a T now....

Hello Dave

First off, if you don't have the mains PSU for your camera, make sure you have a fully charged set of batteries in the camera.

Turn on the camera then In the camera menu set the camera to sensor clean.

Apply two to three drops of eclipse to the end of the pad, then press the digipad firmly against the sensor filter and swipe the pad from top left to top right then from bottom right to bottom left.

You will notice the liquid on the sensor glass evaporating leaving a nice clean surface.
Once you have finished turn the camera so the lens opening is facing down and switch off the camera.
This will stop any debris dropping of the shutter onto the sensor.

Test the camera by using the minimum aperture f32, f22...dependant on the lens.
Point at a bright subject (preferably the sky) and take one shot. Veiw this shot in your favorite imaging package.
If you notice any dark spots re clean the sensor with a new digipad and the same amount of fluid.

Don't be afraid to apply a bit of pressure to the digipad.

One last thing, when you've finished with the eclipse fluid, tighten the lid as the slightest gap will allow the fluid to evaporate.

HTH

Matt

Disclaimer.
You attempt this at your own risk. The owner/staff of thephotographyforums.com will not accept any liability if you happen to damage your camera in the process.
If in doubt send it to an authorised service center.

Quick question:

Do you use a Sensor Swab or the pec pads for this? I have the stick for the pec pads, but am yet to buy any eclipse fluid.

Kate I use a sensor swipe with pecpad and eclipse fluid.

The sensor swipe is a modified icing spatula, so if you can get one from your local haberdashery, you'll be of to a good start.
Here is a link showing how to modify the spatula for cleaning purposes.

Icing spatula in modified and unmodified form.
rubber2.jpg

I wouldn't recommend any other material for cleaning the sensor filter.
The spatula is firm but flex's, so you can apply quite a bit of pressure.

Here's another link to help you with your cleaning

Matt said:
Kate I use a sensor swipe with pecpad and eclipse fluid.

The sensor swipe is a modified icing spatula, so if you can get one from your local haberdashery, you'll be of to a good start.
Here is a link showing how to modify the spatula for cleaning purposes.

Icing spatula in modified and unmodified form.
rubber2.jpg

I wouldn't recommend any other material for cleaning the sensor filter.
The spatula is firm but flex's, so you can apply quite a bit of pressure.

Here's another link to help you with your cleaning
Brilliant, thank you! I bought the swipe some time ago (if I'd have known it was just an icing spatula, I wouldn't have bothered :) ), but I need to order some pads and the eclipse fluid now :)

Just did a dirt test on my 300D.... it's filthy :shock: :eek:ops:

Thank you :)

If you get the eclipse fluid on its own, it comes supplied with about 20 pecpads.
This should last for a fair few months.

Matt said:
If you get the eclipse fluid on its own, it comes supplied with about 20 pecpads.
This should last for a fair few months.
Oh bum! Just read this about 10 seconds after I clicked the order button! Ah well, nevermind :)

/me wonders how many haberdashers keep icing spatulas? :)

Just thought I would add there is a good guide to sensor cleaning in this weeks Amateur Photographer.

All sorted. I cannot believe how amazingly easy that was. I was expecting smudges, smears and all sorts :)

Thank you very much for the advice 8)

Doesn't seem too harmless now. I've just noticed a small hair on mine and with the new 100-400 I hear it can produce more dust than normal. I'll be looking to have a go at this soon, but where's a good place to buy it from?

Back