ydr4H5d.jpg

Memorial.

N87OL03.jpg

The old and the relatively new.

SRTIcL4.jpg

Peaceful, even beautiful.

beb7EXV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greyfriars Bobby (4 May 1855 – 14 January 1872) was a Skye Terrier or Dandie Dinmont Terrier who became known in 19th-century Edinburgh for spending 14 years guarding the grave of his owner until he died on 14 January 1872. The story continues to be well known in Scotland, through several books and films. A prominent commemorative statue and nearby graves are a tourist attraction.

Greyfriars Bobby by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

An old grave on the back of Duff House mausoleum. This was removed from the town when the mausoleum was built to lend the mausoleum credibility. The nobility could do as they pleased in those days....

Duff House 9335 by James West, on Flickr

TP_Dore.jpg

Private Gérard Doré, of the regiment of Fusiliers Mont-Royal, is the youngest Canadian soldier who rests at the Canadian war cemetery in Bretteville-Sur-Laize, Cintheaux, not far south of Caen, Northern France. He was killed on July 23, 1944 during the battle of Verrières ridge, at the age of 16 years and 11 months. He had lied about his age and enrolled when he was only 15 years old.

Last edited:
How to arrive at the cemetery in style...

Funeral procession Honiton Road Exeter _1040719.jpg

I do like a good grave yard or cemetery and like to visit at least one when we are on holiday, I find the way in which we honour or dead changes dramatically even across the relatively small area of Western Europe that I have travelled. I suspect like building, much depends on available material and space as well as local tradition and craft skills.
I will try to post a couple of shots from each location with a little note of what interested me.

Starting with the Austrian Alps.
IMG_5912edit2021 by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
Kühtai Austria
IMG_4426edit2021BW by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
Kühtai Austria
Memorial Scheffau. by Keith Hudson, on Flickr
Scheffau Austria

Metal work worthy of the V & A museum in every church yard.

Back in October I had a look around Brompton Cemetery in West London, one of London's seven famous Victorian cemeteries.

All Leica M2 with either 35mm f/2 or 50mm f/1.4 Canon LTM lenses with Ilford FP4plus in DDX.

Brompton Cemetery 2023-01-21-0005 by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 2023-01-21-0023 by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 2023-01-21-0018 by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 2023-01-21-0023 by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 2023-01-21-0009 by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Brompton Cemetery 2023-01-21-0015 by Keith Hudson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Crosses.jpg

Back