Central Heating

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Come on then, own up!

Who has the central heating switched on already?

We haven't yet, not until the clocks go back ;)

We live in the frozen North; Our central heating is on 24x7, controlled by zone thermostats. if the internal temperature of a zone drops below 16C the heating comes on for that zone. I have noticed it has been on a couple of times during September.......

edited to say that the room stats & TRVs are set to 20C morning and evening.............

Last edited:
My sister in law has it on 22 degrees all year 24/7.

Just put ours on at 19 degrees today. Getting the jumpers out of cupboards.

Ours is still off, Sunny SE London

Last edited:
How I would love a log burner :)

I was tempted on Thursday evening when I got cold because I was sitting still in a T-shirt. Had a shower and kept moving and managed to warm up enough. Used to stick it on when we got back from holiday but that was 2 1/2 weeks ago now. I'll wait until Mrs Nod starts hinting!

Come on then, own up!

Aye, but you're in Norfolk.
We have ours set to come on at 12C 1st thing in the morning and at TV watching time :)
It's been on twice since August.

Last edited:
I fired mine up today, to check it was all OK, ready for when the blizzards hit this winter (y)

Aye, but you're in Norfolk.
We have ours set to come on at 12C 1st thing in the morning and at TV watching time :)
It's been on twice since August.
He he, well it's always 6`c cooler in Scotland isn't it?

I posted because when I watched the early morning BBC news they were taking about the temperature whilst the weather man was on.
He said that at home he had no control over the thermostat :giggle:

I will never understand this "switching the heating on", every house I have lived in for the last fifty years has had a thing called a THERMOSTAT, if the temperature drops the modern miracle of the THERMOSTAT will turn the heating on when it gets too cold inside.

I use to work with a woman who used to proudly boast how little she used her heating and that she would lend visitors a jumper of they were cold (she didn't get many), when I asked her she admitted that she had even gone out to a cafe or pub to warm up rather than putting the heating on, she didn't want to engage in a discussion about the relative costs her approach.

Our heating came on today for the first time in months as did the underfloor heating in the bathroom.

In my first floor apartment I had the heating on 1 hour a day first thing in the morning.Even in mid winter it was warm enough to wear shorts and tshirt. House goes on when we want it on. I would love to see a minus 10c October and see how long it takes before all these " dont turn it on till the clocks go back" last.

Come on then, own up!

we have HIVE and it is just set on all the time effectively. ithas come on a few times allrady.

No heating here yet and just checked, room temp is 21c Luckily it's a first floor so I benefit
from downstairs heating

Unfortunately I have storage heaters so have to keep and eye on the weather to see what tomorrow is going to
bring

Can't change them due to restrictions by the management company and it would still have to be some
sort of electric type as we have no gas here

Came on this morning as did the heated towel rail, definitely getting a bit autumnal

if the temperature drops the modern miracle of the THERMOSTAT will turn the heating on when it gets too cold inside.
Agreed and mines the same, but I overrode ( turned up) the setting as the weather is set to turn colder, as a check.
I didn't want to get caught out in a "few days"

Apparently it snowed in Leeds today ..... winter is coming......
Isn't that known as the frozen North way up there?
:D

Ours had come on a few times even as far back as a month ago. Full this morning though as a few rooms had dropped below 15c.
It never gets turned off, really don't see the point of having a thermostat then turning it on and off just leave it to do is thing all year round.

Thats pretty much what we do. Heating is 'on' all the time, just trip the thermostat to initiate heat sequence :giggle:

Never seen the benefit if HIVE, why pay a fee for something you can do yourself?

Have evohome myself, basically nest but in each room and more customizable.
Like right now only the downstairs is being heated, come 6pm the bedrooms will come on babies room is set to 18c all night.
Downstairs is set to 20c all day. Plus it's opentherm so barely uses any gas.

Last edited:
Thats pretty much what we do. Heating is 'on' all the time, just trip the thermostat to initiate heat sequence :giggle:

Never seen the benefit if HIVE, why pay a fee for something you can do yourself?
You don't pay a fee for hive....
I've got lights on hive too.
Its great. A lot better than faffing with timers etc...

Agreed and mines the same, but I overrode ( turned up) the setting as the weather is set to turn colder, as a check.
I didn't want to get caught out in a "few days"

Isn't that known as the frozen North way up there?
:D
Leeds might like to think it is North but it's not when you live in County Durham, Tyne & Wear or Northumberland....... or Scotland

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I've seen it advertised for £x per month.

Leeds might like to think it is North but it's not when you live in County Durham, Tyne & Wear or Northumberland....... or Scotland
My daughter lives in Shetland now.
I'd call that north.
She also hasn't turned her CH on. Weirdly, it rarely goes below 5C up there, even in the depths of winter.

Like all cloud & internet services, they are great until they go down. Wasn't there an outage last year which left Hive households without heating? I have TRVs on radiators & wireless 7 day programmable thermostats for each heating zone, they require no attention apart from renewing batteries every few years.

I've got one of those Hive things, it monitors the boiler and supposedly alerts BG should it fail or look like it might..
Got it free as part of the beta trial before it was launched nationally, I had to install it because the gas fitter didn't know how.
Fair enough though, I was a telecomms engineer and wouldn't have a clue about fixing a boiler

Like all cloud & internet services, they are great until they go down. Wasn't there an outage last year which left Hive households without heating? I have TRVs on radiators & wireless 7 day programmable thermostats for each heating zone, they require no attention apart from renewing batteries every few years.
Hive has a controller as well.
If Internet etc goes down, it only affects the app.
Hive has multi zone, trv's etc.
It to doesn't require any attention apart from renewing batteries every couple of years.

Last edited:
when we had ours installed the plumber decided to pocket the thermostat/remote thieving t*** so its a case of if its feeling cold and switching it on as needed

I've got one of those Hive things, it monitors the boiler and supposedly alerts BG should it fail or look like it might..
Got it free as part of the beta trial before it was launched nationally, I had to install it because the gas fitter didn't know how.
Fair enough though, I was a telecomms engineer and wouldn't have a clue about fixing a boiler
The monitoring system is Boiler IQ, which works in association with hive.
It's good you got it free.
It's £110 now, inc 5 years monitoring.

when we had ours installed the plumber decided to pocket the thermostat/remote thieving t*** so its a case of if its feeling cold and switching it on as needed
You should get one installed.
It will make the system more efficient, and save gas.

The monitoring system is Boiler IQ, which works in association with hive.
It's good you got it free.
It's £110 now, inc 5 years monitoring.

Not sure how effective it is though, our boiler sprung a leak, pressure dropped to zero, but BG didn't seem to be aware.
Guessing its just the electrical components which get monitored, thought nil pressure might have triggered an alarm somehow

Back