Central Heating

Weirdly, it rarely goes below 5C up there, even in the depths of winter.
Or much above in the summer as I understand it :D

Come on then, own up!

Who has the central heating switched on already?

We haven't yet, not until the clocks go back ;)

I've got ours set to automatic temperatures and times all year round, but we have started to fire up the wood burning stove and I've got a delivery of hardwood logs coming tomorrow morning to top up the current stock for the coming winter. Can't beat a nice fire.

My daughter lives in Shetland now.
I'd call that north.
She also hasn't turned her CH on. Weirdly, it rarely goes below 5C up there, even in the depths of winter.

I think that's largely down to the sea and possibly the westerly winds?

My wife reminded me that my BIL only turns his heating on when they have visitors. The rest of the time it is off, no matter what the temperature is. It doesn't get too freezing too often in NW Kent but walking around indoors with a hat and scarf on is a bit much!

My wife reminded me that my BIL only turns his heating on when they have visitors. The rest of the time it is off, no matter what the temperature is. It doesn't get too freezing too often in NW Kent but walking around indoors with a hat and scarf on is a bit much!
Bet he's loaded too.... :LOL:

Stuck the heating on a couple of times but only for an hour or so in the evening this month, but I feel a change coming so it may be on more regular soon, thinking about a wireless thermostat/controller installation.

Well I must admit we have had the heating on in the conservatory this week!

I scraped the car windows on Sunday at 8am :rolleyes:

We have Hive its brilliant, its not about when you are at home its about when you are not.
means when we are away at the greek house you can set rules so if it drops below a certain temp in the house it alerts you.

We have Hive its brilliant, its not about when you are at home its about when you are not.
means when we are away at the greek house you can set rules so if it drops below a certain temp in the house it alerts you.
We have hive too.
Got rules and shortcuts set up for heating and lights....

Modern houses (ours was built in 1963) are so efficient and warm. We have loft and cavity insulation. The temperature on the thermostat showed 19C on Saturday morning, the missus was complaining of being "frozen", so I checked the pressure on the combi boiler and turned the heating to 21C. It kicked in quickly, so I turned it down to 20C. I hate it when the house becomes hot and stuffy.

I scraped the car windows on Sunday at 8am :rolleyes:

Ah, one of the positives of my car having had access to Ford tech is the heated front windscreen! Alas, it's offset by the door lock mechanism opening, but not allowing you to close the door when the temperature is minus 3 or lower. The best bit is that I believe the mechanism is made by Volvo haha.

We're having a barbecue tonight :tumbleweed:

OK, hands up :(

Heating is on or I don't get fed :oops: :$

The mrs finally caved in last night and asked me to put the temperature up by 1 degree on the thermostat...

Ours is on all year round. We have a smart thermostat that turns on the heat early or later depending on weather and house temperature

It’s that time of year again! We have the conny heating turned on, set at +21c, the managing director is chilly ;)

It’s that time of year again! We have the conny heating turned on, set at +21c, the managing director is chilly ;)
Mine is set at 20oC it's kicked in briefly the last 2 mornings.
Goodbye summer :(

Yes methinks the summer may have departed sadly :(

Yes methinks the summer may have departed sadly :(

Its been very wet and windy this morning, the rain has eased somewhat, but the wind is still howling, and barely double figures outside,

I’m in Norfolk, not too bad here, dry, a little breezy, and 13 degrees.

Last edited:
Up in civilised Glasgow :)

My central heating [ gas ] kicked in automagically this morning for the first time

My wife is from Scotland, she’s always cold?

Been on since we got home a couple of weeks ago but the thermostat was down at 17°C. Since it's come on a couple of times this week, I've nudged the 'stat up to 19° because Mrs Nod has to be up at crack of sparrowfart a couple of mornings per week and the extra couple of degrees makes it less of an ordeal!

We are running the Rayburn in the kitchen to provide background warmth and feed the bathroom rad.

We try(?) not to turn it on until Oct 1st.......................though getting quite chilly here in the SE ~ brrr!

We try(?) not to turn it on until Oct 1st.......................though getting quite chilly here in the SE ~ brrr!

Always used to wait until then but Mrs Nod's gone a bit nesh since moving South!

When I was a wee young lad we didn’t have CH, just a stove in the kitchen.

We always put coats on the bed, and in the morning you could peel the curtains from the windows, inside!

I had two paper rounds, had to get up at 5’o clock. I would hang my trousers over the oven door to warm them up :(

Just back from playing tennis in the wind and rain and find my wife has turned on the CH. It is controlled by a programmable thermostat which seems to serve us well. I programme it for different temperatures at different times of the day. This used to be more relevant when I was working but not so much since I retired,

Dave

My wife said thank you this morning as the bathroom was warm. As I hadn't turned the Htg on I just said OK. When I checked the frost thermostat the battery compartment was loose and it had reset to 20C so the Htg came on even though the timer was OFF. Soon fixed so it will be a cold bathroom tomorrow, I think that I may go out early ;)

Back