Centre light

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I`ve been up in the Alps again (French side), departed Sat morning and returned Sun evening, 547 km in total.
We visited 3 Cols (Hill tops) in total and the 1st one had stonking view at 2863 metres but at that height there is not much vegetation so it looks a bit bland.
Heres a shot from the 3rd col we visited, just 2000 metres this time.
Grey cloud didnt help but when it did break it made for some special views, heres one I really like.

Centre light 2 by Graham, on Flickr

As always this and others are on my flickr.
Thanks

Last edited:

The chosen rendition is not the one I would have taken
but I admit that this high key one is very, very cool! (y)

Vive la différence!

please just take this as my interpretation. i have cobbled this together in about 34 seconds just as something for you to consider, using only ACR. i have ruined the sky for example, but I'm merely trying to show you how to add a little drama maybe? its a great shot though. The way you have displayed it, my eyes have to go hunting for the centre light which you have captured brilliantly.
sample.jpg

Last edited:
On this Macbook the first photo is very pale with a completely white sky - was that what you intended? Gremlin's rendering looks pretty good though.

please just take this as my interpretation. i have cobbled this together in about 34 seconds just as something for you to consider, using only ACR. i have ruined the sky for example, but I'm merely trying to show you how to add a little drama maybe? its a great shot though. The way you have displayed it, my eyes have to go hunting for the centre light which you have captured brilliantly.
View attachment 111731
Thanks gremlin, all comments taken on board, your interpretation is fine.
I'm not sure what you did on my photo although it's looks striking I don't want to comment too much as I'm on my phone. I can see where your going with it and yes, the light in the center stands out more but I was trying to get it more like it was as I saw it. I'll leave it there until tomorrow.

I've just had a look at your others in the set on flickr. some really nice dramatic images of the peaks. i love the indoor shot of the derelict building too!
Thanks

On this Macbook the first photo is very pale with a completely white sky - was that what you intended? Gremlin's rendering looks pretty good though.
Thanks and I did state that the clouds was grey/gloomy day type stuff.
Tbh I was pretty p***ed off that the clouds were grey as the forecast was supposed to be sunnier.

There is no need to make the shot too dark as suggested by some (just look at the histogram!!!! 95% on the left half or 2 stops underexposed). A calibrated screen and histogram help to avoid that mistake

There is very simple 2 step edit I would do on the original in LR. 1) A quick grad filter on the sky (maybe exposure -0.5 or so). 2) increase contrast (and clarity a tiny bit)

You could also local adjustment brush to boost contrast in certain areas as required.

Sky does not appear completely white. Very bright, but very far from completely white. You could try printing it out to convince yourself. Screen calibration is well worth it.

View attachment 111731
Now on the PC, sorry but your edit does not appeal to my eyes to what I saw at the place and your edit has done nothing good to the sky ( just my opinion)
I will have another play with the original though to see if it could be adjusted to make the center light spot pop a bit more.
Thanks for your input Gremlin.

Sky does not appear completely white. Very bright, but very far from completely white. You could try printing it out to convince yourself. Screen calibration is well worth it.

No point calibrating a TN screen unless you can make calibration change to match viewing angle, but the original unibody macbook screens were especially poor - I'm only using it because I'm travelling. I'll grant that moving my head around does allow some grey into the sky in the original image.

No point calibrating a TN screen unless you can make calibration change to match viewing angle, but the original unibody macbook screens were especially poor - I'm only using it because I'm travelling. I'll grant that moving my head around does allow some grey into the sky in the original image.

Agreed they are next to useless for anything artistic. But I would still argue that calibration at least takes away the very prominent blue cast found on most laptops.

Back