CF Cards on eBay...?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning All

Just a quickie.

I have read many posts expressing concerns and advising people to be very careful when purchasing CF cards from eBay, as many of them are apparently fake. I think even eBay have an advice page on how to spot fake CF cards.

Has anyone here bought good/genuine CF cards from a supplier on eBay and if so, would you be able to let us know which supplier it was. I think I and others would much rather buy a CF card from an eBay supplier if we knew they were reliable and had been successfully supplied to someone on here already.

Ta

Thanks, I did read that thread, but I'm afraid it has absolutely nothing at all to do with my question!!

Woops, sorry MusicMan, still half asleep.....:wacky:

I have to say i've only heard bad things about CF/SD cards from ebay so personally i would'ent bother, but why would you want to buy from ebay when there are plenty of online stores selling cheap genuine memory cards ?

I have to say i've only heard bad things about CF/SD cards from ebay so personally i would'ent bother, but why would you want to buy from ebay when there are plenty of online stores selling cheap genuine memory cards ?
PayPal... :) I'm flush in there at the moment... :)

PayPal... :) I'm flush in there at the moment... :)

Ok see your point, amazing really that more companies are'nt coming into line with paypal, i know there are fees involved but i thought they had that with all methods of payment apart from cash.

try 7day shop there prices are very reasnoble ive used them many times (y)

I've been stung in the past with memory cards on Ebay. Sandisk fakes. I couldn't tell the difference. The packaging, case and rescue pro all looked original. I had a gut feeling that something didn't stack up. So I asked a Sandisk rep to check them out. He confirmed my suspicions. They seemed to work ok, but I gave them away. Wasn't going to risk 8gb of files being lost.
Maybe I did the right thing, maybe not. Never know. Wont be buying memory off Ebay anymore.
I tend to us My Memory now.

Lots of online stores take paypal as payment .... including MyMemory.
Great info, thanks.

EDIT: Well, I just registered on MyMemory and bought a few things, but when I get to the checkout I see there is no option to choose PayPal as the method of payment... :(

I've ordered CF cards twice from eBay, both times they were fake. One faked Sandisk card didn't even have a serial number on it, so when challenged, the seller simply said 'I can assure you, these are all real cards'. How can I check it's real if theres no serial number? (in fact, how can it possibly be real with no serial number!).

eBay don't seem to care either, and it's a lot of hassle getting refunds etc. There are plenty of authorised shops online that will sell you authentic cards, and for the sake of maybe a few pounds, it's worth it.

I've ordered CF cards twice from eBay, both times they were fake. One faked Sandisk card didn't even have a serial number on it, so when challenged, the seller simply said 'I can assure you, these are all real cards'. How can I check it's real if theres no serial number? (in fact, how can it possibly be real with no serial number!).

eBay don't seem to care either, and it's a lot of hassle getting refunds etc. There are plenty of authorised shops online that will sell you authentic cards, and for the sake of maybe a few pounds, it's worth it.

Robbiemc really sums up what Ebay is about when buying CF cards I had exactly the same experiance CF cards are so cheap its not worth the gamble I use the site below for loads of things just check it everyday if some thing you want comes down in price it normally shows on the site I bought my last CF card from Play. Com Sandisk Extreme III 17.99 2GB

http://www.offeroftheday.co.uk/index.asp

Folks... it's not price, it's PayPal...:) I have spare funds in PayPal right now and eBay accepts PayPal. That's why I am looking there. I tried MyMemory after someone here stated they accept PayPal but unfortunately they don't! If you know of any supplier who accepts PayPal that will do nicely, thanks.

You can get memory cards for such good prices nowadays I don't really understand why anyone would risk picking up a fake on Ebay :shrug:

Ebuyer accept paypal, not sure if they're the cheapest though. Certainly not worth the risk now of buying from Ebay !!

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?intStoreID=77&intCatID=36&intSubcatUID=402

simon
Thanks Simon, I shall check them out - appreciate the info.

You can get memory cards for such good prices nowadays I don't really understand why anyone would risk picking up a fake on Ebay :shrug:
Grendel - I am not risking picking up a fake CF card on eBay - this is why I am asking in this thread if anyone has purchased a genuine one from an eBay seller...!!!

Folks... it's not price, it's PayPal...:) I have spare funds in PayPal right now and eBay accepts PayPal. That's why I am looking there. I tried MyMemory after someone here stated they accept PayPal but unfortunately they don't! If you know of any supplier who accepts PayPal that will do nicely, thanks.

John,

Just logged into my mymemory account and added some stuff to a basket, proceed to checkout and at the bottom of the checkout page it says....

You can now pay for your order using your 'PayPal Account', if you wish to do this please click here. If you are paying with a credit or debit card, please make your payment using Protx.

Hope this helps

chris

Image13.jpg

Cheers Chris... obviously I'm getting old eh! Thanks for pointing this out for me and apologies to idlemonkey for my misunderstanding.

Bought a 4gb CF card from Ebay and every now and then I got "CF error" flash up on the camera (350D now sold) I had to switch the camera off and on to get it to work again...I decided it want worth the risk in my new camera (40D) So I got one from a recognised source. My mate who is a computer technician had a look at the cheap ebay one and he said that it was in fact a SD card in a CF casing :bang:

Bottom line...Dont buy cheap memory cards from fleabay...

ebuyer only place i buy cards from had allsorts and are spot on quick delivery and cheapest for me

How can I check it's real if theres no serial number? (in fact, how can it possibly be real with no serial number!).

Just right click on the cf disk in my computer and select properties. Click on hardware and it will tell you if it is a Sandisk. Gives you the memory size also.
All genuine Sandisk cards have the serial number printed on the side.
No serial number = fake.

Just right click on the cf disk in my computer and select properties. Click on hardware and it will tell you if it is a Sandisk. Gives you the memory size also.
All genuine Sandisk cards have the serial number printed on the side.
No serial number = fake.

Do you mean it will say sandisk in properties, as i'v tried this with a CF card and an SD card which are both sandisk extreme 3, and it just comes up with a number WDC W1600JS-75NCB2 then when i click on the properties for that number it says manufacturer "STANDARD DISK DRIVES" is this correct ? i bought these cards from play.com

i second that. 4gb scan disk under £20 why risk ebay for 20 quid

Do you mean it will say sandisk in properties, as i'v tried this with a CF card and an SD card which are both sandisk extreme 3, and it just comes up with a number WDC W1600JS-75NCB2 then when i click on the properties for that number it says manufacturer "STANDARD DISK DRIVES" is this correct ? i bought these cards from play.com

This is what mine shows:
sandisk.jpg

Hope that helps.
Kev.

Ok see your point, amazing really that more companies are'nt coming into line with paypal, i know there are fees involved but i thought they had that with all methods of payment apart from cash.

The less I see of paypal on the internet the better, very convenient initially...............until, like me you have a run-in with them and then you find out what they are REALY like, robbing, money grabbing bar stewards to say the least. :annoyed:

The less I see of paypal on the internet the better, very convenient initially...............until, like me you have a run-in with them and then you find out what they are REALY like, robbing, money grabbing bar stewards to say the least. :annoyed:

I got 'scammed' on ebay 6 months ago for a load of camera stuff (over £1500 if memory serve me correctly! :eek:)

thought i'd seen the last of it, but paypal coughed up every last penny of it, so :woot: (y) :love: to Paypal from me

I got 'scammed' on ebay 6 months ago for a load of camera stuff (over £1500 if memory serve me correctly! :eek:)

thought i'd seen the last of it, but paypal coughed up every last penny of it, so :woot: (y) :love: to Paypal from me

Pleased you got your dosh back.
I have found on two occasions that if there is any kind of hitch or mistake in the transaction, not my fault in both transactions, the funds are immediately "impounded" and it takes forever to sort it out and get back what is rightfully yours.
And knowing that this is off thread and will be deleted and I will be censured for going off thread :nono:I have got to reply with this as well.
http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/

:eek:
This is what mine shows:
sandisk.jpg

Hope that helps.
Kev.

Where yours is showing sandisk in the hardware drives, mine is just showing a number, i would find it hard to believe it's not a genuine sandisk though, as they all came boxed with the included software :shrug:

My fake ones did too. Even rescue pro with instructions. Blister packed, little soft key ring wallet for card too!
But I bought mine off Ebay. I didnt know then how to check them.

Blimey i may have to look further into this, all mine where bought from play.com, it would be interesting to see if anyone else has tried checking theres out.

Back