CF cards

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I have a Canon 5D MkIII and a Canon 7D. I frequently swap CF cards between them without reformatting- is this Ok or will it cause problems?

I don't do Canon but I always re-format my cards in camera before using them each time, it takes so little time to do it and IMO helps to avoid possible corruption issues.

I agree with gramps. A friend has just recently asked me for help because he was swapping card back and for between two bodies without reformatting and couldn't access some images.

I have three CF card cases each marked for the camera that the cards inside are for. I also mark the cards for each camera.

I run the same combo, and have a dedicated card for each one. Apart from the corrupting of images risk I was told about and is alluded to above, I don't like repeatedly removing cards in case I bend a pin or cause other damage when I insert it. I download from the camera for the same reason.
What do you feel you gain from swapping the card between them? Is it just convenience or is there some other reason?

... will it cause problems?
No. The cameras don't care where the card's been, and the card doesn't care either.

Those who say taking cards out and putting them back in risks damaging the pins have a point. It does introduce a small risk. But if you're doing that anyway, it doesn't matter which card goes back into which camera. And anyway, getting your images off by plugging in a USB cable risks damaging the camera's USB socket.

The only issue, apart from that mentioned above re formatting incamera before using, is numbering!

Even if formatted the camera will read the last highest file number on the card and increment from that figure. If you do not in way rely on or utilise the file number then worry not ;)

For me as above when I used two bodies I kept separate cards for each body :)

I have the 1DX and 7D2 - swop feely = no issues.

I have the 1DX and 7D2 - swop feely = no issues.

+1
Though I only did this unintentionally as I forgot to format after downloading a shoot, so the card had been mounted on a Mac in between. No issues.

When I format, it is always done in-camera.

A card may be cleared for the reader without problems but
the very best way to reformat a card is in the camera.

Back