Challenging the norm

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
A cliched location - where one expects flowing water.

But what if there is none. Normally this section of the river dies up over the summer months. If you compose carefully you can get a refection of the tree. I couldn't, or daren't dangle a 645z almost on the water given the cost and size of it and the 28-45.

I've mixed feelings about this. Part of my loves it as reflections are just so me, and part of me think it's wrong as we are so conditioned into seeing waterfalls here.

_IMG1765 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Typically I avoided taking workshop clients here when there was no flowing water as it didn't seem right, and now I wonder if I've done them a terrible disservice by not getting them to challenge the norm.

Neither have ideal light...but I think I want to do more of this when next summer comes around.

_IMG2002 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I don't think it's the fact we're conditioned to seeing the waterfall so much as without it there's just a big slab of rock, which for the most part isn't very interesting to look at, taking up a third of the overall image.

I don't think it's the fact we're conditioned to seeing the waterfall so much as without it there's just a big slab of rock, which for the most part isn't very interesting to look at, taking up a third of the overall image.
It's interesting you say that. I quite like it, the rock has a sort of prehistoric feel about it, the looming mountain a volcano almost.

I'll get my coat.

James

It's interesting you say that. I quite like it, the rock has a sort of prehistoric feel about it, the looming mountain a volcano almost.

I'll get my coat.

James
That's why everyone is different and photography will always be subjective :)

The reflection looks great - shame you didn't decide to risk life and limb (i.e. camera and lens) making more of it! The lighting on the rock is a too harsh and direct so any texture has been washed out. And the mountain itself is very washed out with the strong haze. There's not a huge amount going on in the sky either. Summer landscape photography is a bugger...

I hand held the camera and got right down, you couldn't get the peak in the reflection. Which was a crying shame. The light is as you say, harsh.

I don't mind the big rock, but now that at @Steelo says it, it does take up a chunk of the frame, but so what if it does. I am not too fussed around that. The reflection of the tree kind of works, for me.

Back