Change of system....

Edit My Images
Yes
All,

I have a big decision to make - although in no immediate rush!

Currently, I have a fairly extensive collection of Nikon f-mount glass (mainly AF-D lenses) and a D810 (trimmed down from a D3s & D3), I also have a few Canon lenses and a 1DMkIII that I used for sport.

I am looking at doing some more portraits, my favourite genre, and I prefer to shoot primes - I am interested in the Sigma 105 1.4 and a fast wider prime, possibly a 35 1.4/1.2 ;) and that would be it. I have a load of Nikon glass for just about anything else I would come across and I am hoping to adapt these in manual focus on the newer body anyway.

So, over the real question at hand - making the big move to mirrorless...

Features that are important to me:
high iso performance
eye-af
responsiveness of the camera

I have no interest in the Nikon Z system, it seems dead in the water and just doesn't have any redeeming features that would encourage me to invest in the system.

That leaves me with 2 choices... Sony / Canon ...

I know that Canon hasn't released their pro level mirrorless and that's likely to be huge money, that said, I am interested in the Canon RP as it's great value for money, for the following reasons:
Good high iso performance
Great eye AF
Native adaptability for canon eos lenses (I am only interested in the 135 f2 and the Sigma 105 1.4 eos mount)

Sony (most likely an a7iii or an a7sii):
Ibis
excellent high iso performance (a7sii)
relatively responsive camera
not sure on canon glass adaptability - some videos suggest canon adapted glass works very well for eye af

It seems that a Sony body is the way forward...

Anyone got any opinions on the matter?

I like the idea of the Sony body, as Sigma make the 35 1.2, 105 1.4 and Sony make their own 135 1.8 - can't see me wanting / needing anymore...

Thanks - sorry for the long post - it's a big decision!

Sony body wise I have seen a good value a7sii but concerned about AF performance and from what I hear, the a7iii is where it's at?

All,

I have a big decision to make - although in no immediate rush!

Currently, I have a fairly extensive collection of Nikon f-mount glass (mainly AF-D lenses) and a D810 (trimmed down from a D3s & D3), I also have a few Canon lenses and a 1DMkIII that I used for sport.

I am looking at doing some more portraits, my favourite genre, and I prefer to shoot primes - I am interested in the Sigma 105 1.4 and a fast wider prime, possibly a 35 1.4/1.2 ;) and that would be it. I have a load of Nikon glass for just about anything else I would come across and I am hoping to adapt these in manual focus on the newer body anyway.

So, over the real question at hand - making the big move to mirrorless...

Features that are important to me:
high iso performance
eye-af
responsiveness of the camera

I have no interest in the Nikon Z system, it seems dead in the water and just doesn't have any redeeming features that would encourage me to invest in the system.

That leaves me with 2 choices... Sony / Canon ...

I know that Canon hasn't released their pro level mirrorless and that's likely to be huge money, that said, I am interested in the Canon RP as it's great value for money, for the following reasons:
Good high iso performance
Great eye AF
Native adaptability for canon eos lenses (I am only interested in the 135 f2 and the Sigma 105 1.4 eos mount)

Sony (most likely an a7iii or an a7sii):
Ibis
excellent high iso performance (a7sii)
relatively responsive camera
not sure on canon glass adaptability - some videos suggest canon adapted glass works very well for eye af

It seems that a Sony body is the way forward...

Anyone got any opinions on the matter?

I like the idea of the Sony body, as Sigma make the 35 1.2, 105 1.4 and Sony make their own 135 1.8 - can't see me wanting / needing anymore...

Thanks - sorry for the long post - it's a big decision!

Sony body wise I have seen a good value a7sii but concerned about AF performance and from what I hear, the a7iii is where it's at?
There's an A7S iii coming this year (which I have half an eye on), although Sony have said in the last few days it will be delayed due to the disruption corona has caused so i'd be wary of buying the current version.

Not everyone likes the the ergonomics of the Sony bodies. It’s best to try out and see. I am curious to know why as an existing Nikon user, you feel the Z series is dead?

Not everyone likes the the ergonomics of the Sony bodies. It’s best to try out and see. I am curious to know why as an existing Nikon user, you feel the Z series is dead?

I've been disappointed with a number of releases from Nikon, not just their mirrorless offering. In my opinion, since the D3s, their pro bodies have fallen short to Canon at every release imo and I've been fed up with some of their lens releases or lack there of. It feels like Nikon were/have been resting on their laurels for some time now, all while Sony & Canon get developing newer and more impressive gear. Especially on the mirrorless front - Sony had a well established model line up for full frame mirrorless with features like eye af and ibis etc. Nikon had more than enough warning/heads up about the market and chose to release 2 lacklustre models to the market with less than class leading ibis/eye af - plus their lens road map promised fast exceptional lenses and to date, we've seen a series of expensive 'ordinary' lenses with the exception of the spectacular new NOCT. I've heard/seen the improvement of eye af with the firmware update - but Nikon chose to release both cameras with imo very poor performance.

It feels like Nikon will never catch up with the likes of Sony and doesn't have the affinity Canon does to re-gain what professional users it has lost. Furthermore, as a heavy Nikon user, I was disappointed NIkon didn't make any effort to support the older AF-D lenses for their mirrorless camera - Sony offered an adapter with a built in motor for legacy lens support. I am by no means a Sony fan boy, hence my investment in Canon and Nikon - but I can't see Nikon releasing anything that'll bring customers back towards the brand. Look at their D6 release - it's a joke. Nikon had the opportunity to release a hybrid or even a totally game changing camera - yet from the specs etc. it seems to be a spicy D5.

Isn't the Sii better for video?
What about an Rii if it's for portraiture?
From what I have read, yes, the sii is better for video - I am more concerned with the excellent high iso performance - so I am told. I loved my D3s for it's high iso performance and I got used to shooting in just about any light with no worry!

I had a look at the Canon RP and loved the build quality. It's a beautiful piece of kit but pound for pound I feel the Sony bodies offer better value for money...

And I'm the least Sony fan boy possible!

I switched from a D610 to an A7III about a year ago. The new camera definitely has less noise and better dynamic range at high ISO than the Nikon did, and the eye-AF is very good although if that's an important feature then you should probably look at an A9. The A7III handling is OK, menu system not *much* worse than Nikon's. The thing I miss most is the lack of an LCD on the top plate.

Back